Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/22/2007 4:07:33 AM EDT
looking for a new X-mas present, and that 300 short mag. just intrest me to no end.

anybody care to share their comments?

thanks, Al

Link Posted: 11/22/2007 6:56:01 AM EDT
[#1]
It works better feeding than the WSM version. But don't think you can rapid fire with one, I designed a wildcat(6.5 Reaper) from it but, I changed the shoulder to 25 degrees so it would feed even better.
Close to the same performance as the 300 win mag given the shorter barrel and very accurate. They sell a 5 round mag for hunting but , you can use a 20rnd 308 mag and stuff about 12 in it.
Link Posted: 11/22/2007 5:37:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Constructor,

What are the differences between parts for the 308 and the 300rsaum? Obviously the bolt and barrel, but what about the receiver, etc.? I saw a listing for an a4 upper that had the 300rsaum inkstamp. Are there any physical size differences? If the 300rsaum will feed and function out of a 308 magazine will it feed and function through a 308 upper? Thank you and others for any input.
Link Posted: 11/24/2007 3:17:36 AM EDT
[#3]
I'm probably going to go with the 308, but if that 300 was in a 24" barrel, I'd jump on it in a heartbeat.
Link Posted: 11/24/2007 3:33:50 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I'm probably going to go with the 308, but if that 300 was in a 24" barrel, I'd jump on it in a heartbeat.

Constructor et al,
Would it be practical to rechamber a 24" 308 to 300saum and open up the bolt face? Or would I be breaking about even to get a custom 24" 300 barrel/bolt and sell the 308? Thanks for your input.
Link Posted: 11/24/2007 6:53:10 AM EDT
[#5]
Bolt group, barrel and mags seem to be the main differences - besides most likely placement of gas port and perhaps buffer. It is an appealing cartridge to me but the use is so limited compared to the costs I have passed on getting an upper. It is akin to having a 30:06 mag and just short of a 300 WIN MAG performance. Mags, brass and new upper are major considerations. I would rather put money into a 260 REM or 243 WIN upper as I will shoot them more than a 300 SAUM.  
Link Posted: 11/24/2007 5:58:20 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Bolt group, barrel and mags seem to be the main differences - besides most likely placement of gas port and perhaps buffer. It is an appealing cartridge to me but the use is so limited compared to the costs I have passed on getting an upper. It is akin to having a 30:06 mag and just short of a 300 WIN MAG performance. Mags, brass and new upper are major considerations. I would rather put money into a 260 REM or 243 WIN upper as I will shoot them more than a 300 SAUM.  

Last time I checked Midways' site they were so short on .308 brass that, yes, the 300RSAUM brass was cheaper than the .308.
Link Posted: 11/24/2007 6:48:45 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Constructor,

What are the differences between parts for the 308 and the 300rsaum? Obviously the bolt and barrel, but what about the receiver, etc.? I saw a listing for an a4 upper that had the 300rsaum inkstamp. Are there any physical size differences? If the 300rsaum will feed and function out of a 308 magazine will it feed and function through a 308 upper? Thank you and others for any input.

The bolt and barrel are the only difference. Everything else is the same including gas port location. IMO you could get a good custom barrel and sell your 308 for $200-225 and have a better barrel for about $50 more than a rechamber.
Link Posted: 11/27/2007 8:17:30 AM EDT
[#8]
What's reasonable accuracy to expect out of a rifle like that 300RSAUM?  Seems like those guns would be a lot of fun at the range or on a hunt.
Link Posted: 12/9/2007 4:02:49 PM EDT
[#9]
So, I would build an AR-10 just like normally, but I simply replace the bolt with a SAUM bolt, and barrel chambered for 300 SAUM? The springs and everything else are the same? this would sound interesting because of the quick caliber swap.

Where are some common places to find the SAUM bolts and barrels?
Link Posted: 12/9/2007 5:39:13 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
So, I would build an AR-10 just like normally, but I simply replace the bolt with a SAUM bolt, and barrel chambered for 300 SAUM? The springs and everything else are the same? this would sound interesting because of the quick caliber swap.

Where are some common places to find the SAUM bolts and barrels?

Yes, just the barrel and bolt.
DPMS is the only place for parts and I doubt they will sell barrels because they're always backed up on complete gun orders but, it's worth a try.
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top