Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 7
Link Posted: 4/29/2022 11:19:33 AM EDT
[#1]
Looking forward to Molon's data on this barrel for sure.

On the tapered bore front... I have 3 barrels advertised to have tapered bores and all easily shoot MOA groups with most match ammo.   The only video I have is on the Centurion one below but they all shoot about the same which is to say -- very well.

Link Posted: 4/29/2022 11:47:02 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I probably should have been more specific in my response. My response was more directed at Hodge being more accurate due to a tapered bore. Hodge has "huge" demand and little supply as well as higher prices and supposedly top quality. I'm not saying he stuff isn't nice or doesn't function well, but I'm in the camp of his prices are higher due to hype. If he claims his barrels are more expensive (and more accurate) due to the tapered bore, I was just trying to show that there are more accurate, quality barrels out there for a better deal. A tapered mandrel may very well add to the cost of production for a tapered bore, or his specs for the manufacturer, but I don't see the benefit in the linked tests based on price.

I'd like to know this as well. It's gotta be an incredibly fine taper which I imagine does make the manufacturing of the mandrel more costly.
View Quote

I’ve always understood the price to be more about durability than accuracy.
Link Posted: 4/29/2022 12:08:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I’ve always understood the price to be more about durability than accuracy.
View Quote

Still other very reputable companies selling hammer forged, chrome lined barrels for at least $100 less than Hodge. Centurion, Criterion, BCM, Colt, etc. Not trying to derail this from Geissele, but they have hopefully now entered that category as well. Their Super Duty rifle's and uppers shoot well, so I'm looking forward to these results.
Link Posted: 4/29/2022 12:31:19 PM EDT
[#4]
The engraving on the barrel is nasty.  It looks like a dullard used a soldering iron on a piece of plastic.
Link Posted: 4/29/2022 2:00:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I probably should have been more specific in my response. My response was more directed at Hodge being more accurate due to a tapered bore. Hodge has "huge" demand and little supply as well as higher prices and supposedly top quality. I'm not saying he stuff isn't nice or doesn't function well, but I'm in the camp of his prices are higher due to hype. If he claims his barrels are more expensive (and more accurate) due to the tapered bore, I was just trying to show that there are more accurate, quality barrels out there for a better deal. A tapered mandrel may very well add to the cost of production for a tapered bore, or his specs for the manufacturer, but I don't see the benefit in the linked tests based on price.

I'd like to know this as well. It's gotta be an incredibly fine taper which I imagine does make the manufacturing of the mandrel more costly.
View Quote

There are Hodge threads here
Link Posted: 4/29/2022 3:55:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

On the tapered bore front... I have 3 barrels advertised to have tapered bores and all easily shoot MOA groups with most match ammo.   The only video I have is on the Centurion one below but they all shoot about the same which is to say -- very well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3myEt3jGc-U
View Quote

@mrgunsngear

I know at one point you posted a short video of a Geissele super duty and stated a full review was coming. Are you still planning on doing a full review?
Link Posted: 4/29/2022 4:17:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

@mrgunsngear

I know at one point you posted a short video of a Geissele super duty and stated a full review was coming. Are you still planning on doing a full review?
View Quote

I've been told one will arrive one of these days for review but that has yet to materialize....
Link Posted: 4/29/2022 6:56:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Chris from SAS had to borrow one of the Super Duty rifles from a friend to review it. He doesn't really do accuracy tests, though.

It feels like Geissele is notoriously stingy on issuing products for review.
Link Posted: 4/29/2022 8:05:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 4/29/2022 8:54:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

For comparison, a Larue 16" mid-length barrel has a gas port diameter of 0.082".

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/28568/pin_gauge_in_gas_port_of_larue_barrel_00-2362875.jpg

View Quote

Gotcha, I grabbed 6 or 7 models from "the list" that were .071 to .074, there are quite a few 16" MLs on there.  I was trying to list the comparable barrels (DD, Triarc, etc.)

Aero/BA has a few fatties on there at .078 to .079

A better average would be about .076 for the list I have

Link Posted: 4/30/2022 12:28:03 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

A copy/paste of a response from Monty at Centurion:

it is also the same barrel material and process used on the 1/2moa sniper rifles FN won the FBI contract with and that are still in service. The FN SPR sniper rifles use hammer forged hard chrome lined taper bore barrels to get ½ moa accuracy
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

A copy/paste of a response from Monty at Centurion:

it is also the same barrel material and process used on the 1/2moa sniper rifles FN won the FBI contract with and that are still in service. The FN SPR sniper rifles use hammer forged hard chrome lined taper bore barrels to get ½ moa accuracy

Gaurenteed by FN, by the way..every single FBI spec rifle, not just a one in a million miracle.

Quoted:FN hands down manufactures the best machine guns in the world and there isn’t even a close second in this field there isn’t even any two companies you can combine that has as much institutional knowledge as they do in making beltfed machine guns.

The same could (and rightfully should) be said about FN's CHF/CL AR barrels specifically.

Steyer is likely the only manufacturer with more experience in CHF/CL barrels in general, considering any other weapon system. Regardless FN has been CHF/CL barrels for use in widely issued weapons by legitimate, first world militaries for decades.
Link Posted: 4/30/2022 2:19:09 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

That Centurion rifle is incredible. I know the Geissele Super Duty is fancier, but man that setup and that kind of accuracy would be hard to pass up if you could only choose one.
Link Posted: 4/30/2022 11:15:47 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

That Centurion rifle is incredible. I know the Geissele Super Duty is fancier, but man that setup and that kind of accuracy would be hard to pass up if you could only choose one.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I wish I would have grabbed one when they were $999!  Big mistake
Link Posted: 4/30/2022 12:37:19 PM EDT
[#14]
Centurion makes great stuff.  Solid, nothing too flashy.

There is a reason his bbl’s are usually OOS.

Everything I have ever bought from them has had a hand written thank you on the invoice.  Good people
Link Posted: 4/30/2022 1:08:59 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Words stollen…

Anyway, I’d love to see someone else with proper pin gauges check another 16” barrel. Just out of curiosity.

In for more great Molon info.
View Quote

Pin gauges are best, but I use a complete numbered drill set.  I find the last one that fits, and take a measurement on that one, and then a measurement on the next one that would not fit.  Gets you "close".  Drill's are in small increments.

Link Posted: 4/30/2022 1:11:01 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

For comparison, a Larue 16" mid-length barrel has a gas port diameter of 0.082".

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/28568/pin_gauge_in_gas_port_of_larue_barrel_00-2362875.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yep, that is pretty small by about .010 on average from other barrel brands in that size/gas length

In my experience, all my LaRue PredaTAR barrels are really, really strongly gassed in practical shooting as well.  You can see it when playing with different spring weights, buffer weights, and ejection patterns.  Never had it cause a problem though.
Link Posted: 4/30/2022 7:09:39 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I've been told one will arrive one of these days for review but that has yet to materialize....
View Quote

Great. I’m looking forward to it.
Link Posted: 5/4/2022 5:59:10 PM EDT
[#18]
Pulled the trigger on the last one Midway had in stock. Between Geiselle direct and Midway, these may not be in  stock for a while, but who knows. It was calling me. I'm a sucker for CHF barrels...
Link Posted: 5/6/2022 9:00:18 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Gotcha, I grabbed 6 or 7 models from "the list" that were .071 to .074, there are quite a few 16" MLs on there.  I was trying to list the comparable barrels (DD, Triarc, etc.)

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The smallest gas port on a 16" mid-length that I've ever gauged at this point, was 0.0695" on the TRIARC Track 2.0.  So the Geissele is still running close to 0.008" smaller than that.

Link Posted: 5/6/2022 9:09:25 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

The smallest gas port on a 16" mid-length that I've ever gauged was 0.0695" on the TRIARC Track 2.0.  So the Geissele is still running close to 0.008" smaller than that.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/28568/triarc_barrel_gas_port_diameter_002_resi-2285314.jpg

View Quote

Damn!  I have a new Track 2 11.5 I am putting together.  I wish I had a set of pin gauges.  It will be suppressed 100% of the time.  I don't have any data for the 11.5
Link Posted: 5/6/2022 9:20:24 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

The smallest gas port on a 16" mid-length that I've ever gauged was 0.0695" on the TRIARC Track 2.0.  So the Geissele is still running close to 0.008" smaller than that.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/28568/triarc_barrel_gas_port_diameter_002_resi-2285314.jpg

View Quote

How does it shoot?
Link Posted: 5/7/2022 9:13:45 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

My Criterion CORE is also near the larger end of the spectrum.  I might eventually put a BRT gas tube on it.

Link Posted: 5/7/2022 9:38:27 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

My Criterion CORE is also near the larger end of the spectrum.  I might eventually put a BRT gas tube on it.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/28568/criterion_core_barrel_gas_port_gauge_001-2140823.jpg

View Quote

Not great not terrible. 14.5 or 16”?
Link Posted: 5/7/2022 10:35:38 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/28568/criterion_core_barrel_gas_port_gauge_001-2140823.jpg

16" mid-length.
Link Posted: 5/7/2022 10:43:50 AM EDT
[#25]
I bought a Daniel Defense 16" Lightweight Mid-length CHF Barrel back in 2011 and it had a gas port size of .072.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

IDK what the deal with the label is but the barrel definitely has a mid length gas system.
Link Posted: 5/7/2022 10:58:41 AM EDT
[#26]
Is there a formula that roughly calculates gas flow?  could you reasonably estimate gas flow based on port, dwell length, and gas port distance?  Assuming using basic ammo
Link Posted: 5/7/2022 11:41:36 AM EDT
[#27]
Measured some of my barrels.....

All 16", ML, .750" gas journal:

DD 9089 - 0.072"
Spikes Optimum - 0.075"
FN Optimum profile - 0.078"

16", ML LaRue PredaTAR, .625" gas journal - 0.084"

Link Posted: 5/7/2022 12:03:19 PM EDT
[#28]
Off to order pin gauges...I want to play!
Link Posted: 5/7/2022 2:13:54 PM EDT
[#29]
Forgive my ignorance, but what part of the barrel is this?

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/7/2022 2:47:06 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/22392/9C9B7B8D-45A7-442E-BD0B-4CA76A12A2CE_jpe-2375357.JPG
View Quote

Muzzle end with a straightness gauge in the bore.
Link Posted: 5/7/2022 2:48:33 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote

“Straightness gauge in the bore” might be measuring straightness, but that sounds kinda gay
Link Posted: 5/7/2022 2:59:52 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

“Straightness gauge in the bore” might be measuring straightness, but that sounds kinda gay
View Quote

Hah, true. It's a worthless measurement unless you're measuring concentricity with a muzzle device/suppressor. CHF barrels are hammered around a mandrel and not drilled anyway, leading to straighter bores.
Link Posted: 5/7/2022 3:18:53 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/22392/9C9B7B8D-45A7-442E-BD0B-4CA76A12A2CE_jpe-2375357.JPG

Okay, now I understand WTF I am looking at. That picture completely had me puzzled. But, of course it would, as I don’t have any tools/equipment like that and don’t put ARs together. I just shoot them.

Link Posted: 5/7/2022 4:51:06 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Hah, true. It's a worthless measurement unless you're measuring concentricity with a muzzle device/suppressor. CHF barrels are hammered around a mandrel and not drilled anyway, leading to straighter bores.
View Quote

Barrels are heat treated/straightened post forging. Barrels are drilled.

Daniel Defense makes an AR barrel, starting with steel rod, drilling a pilot hole, gundrilling the bore hole, then running it on the GFM machine, profiling it, chambering, etc.
Link Posted: 5/8/2022 12:30:01 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote

Not Geissele but your mentioning of CHF reminded me of this video. Starts at 32:14 but I thought that this was really interesting that there's even a guy who makes sure that HK's CHF barrels are are all straight. Not sure if necessary or just a last redundant step with German over engineering.

THE BUNDESWEHR ARMOURY: Weapons - How German infantry fights in battle | WELT Full HD Documentary
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 12:54:05 AM EDT
[#36]
So, threw the new barrel on an upper this weekend and went out for a test shoot to see how it grouped. After only a dozen  shots or so, I called it a day because not one round cycled correctly. They would eject, but the carrier would not pick up another one.

The ejection pattern was about 3 o'clock (H1 buffer) and consitent for every load in used. The lower and upper have been used before with zero hiccups. Shot 3 different types of ammo, including 75g Match grade Hornady, and full powered IMI M193 and M855.... And Nothing worked.

In fact, the final round didn't even eject. The bolt remained closed and I had to manually charge it to eject.

Now yes, this could have all been from a misaligned gas block... But it wasn't. The gas block was perfect. It was aligned directly over the dimple and attached. The gas setup was also just used on another 16", mid-length setup to perfection on a BA nitirded barrel. It functioned flawlessly there, but was a cycling nightmare with the Geissele Barrel.

I'm not even sure what to do now. I guess I'm going to have to call Geissele or Midway to try to get a refund, because this is not acceptable. If the barrel will only work with a suppressor, then Geissele should have declared that in their description. I have also not heard of any cycling problems with the Geissele Super Duty rifles, which this 16" barrel is supposed to be modeled after... Only the gas length change for more home build parts compatibility.

Anyone know what else could be wrong? I'm pretty perplexed and perturbed here.

I guess I will try another gas block and BCG combo as soon as I get the chance to change them out, but I doubt it's going to help. All I know is, it shouldn't be this finicky to shoot full powered mil spec ammo. That M855 is some very very high pressure stuff and this should not be happening.
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 1:24:28 AM EDT
[#37]
How worn is the gas tube bulb?
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 9:43:32 AM EDT
[#38]
Yeah I had my doubts about .062” on a 16” mid.

Have the port opened up to .073” and it’ll run like a top.
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 9:56:56 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 9:57:08 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Yeah I had my doubts about .062” on a 16” mid.

Have the port opened up to .073” and it’ll run like a top.
View Quote

Absolutely. Wonder how many of these got mis-drilled in the rush to get them to market while making two 16" barrels with different gas system lengths?
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 10:10:27 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Id probably just try a lighter buffer first.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Have the port opened up to .073" and it'll run like a top.

Id probably just try a lighter buffer first.
Yeah there's a bunch of stuff to look at before the barrel gets blamed, esp on a home re-barrel.

Double and then triple-check gas block alignment, lots to go wrong there. Check out the used gas tube funtion and installation. Moving back, does gas tube align properly with carrier key? And on and on and on.

But still, step 1 is test a carbine buffer.
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 5:14:01 PM EDT
[#42]
Or just get Geissele on the phone and they may admit to nobody's surprise that they released a bunch of mid-length barrels that got drilled for carbine-length gas ports.

Here's a large sample of industry barrels.

0.062" on mid-length is definitely "oops we did these wrong" sizing. Time for a refund/replacement. Another Geissele quality control masterpiece. Don't waste your time diagnosing a solution to someone's mistake, especially one you paid for. It's neat that they're doing barrels, and it'll be good when they're doing it right.
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 5:33:55 PM EDT
[#43]
Ooof
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 10:11:14 PM EDT
[#44]
I enhanced a 16” middy G barrel photo from Midway, and measured it out with a ruler.  I measured the black hole of the gas port is roughly 9.8% of the width of the barrel.  So 9.8% of .750” gives us 0.074” should be the original gas port width.  Of course this ain’t scientific with pin gauges but I bet I’m close within a couple pixels or two.

Attachment Attached File

Edit: Virtual Pin Guage TM

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 10:21:57 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote

I have a new in box 16 inch 40mm super duty I’d be more than happy to loan to you for a review.
Attachment Attached File

https://www.ar15.com/forums/General/i-found-this-interesting-Geissele-Super-Duty-/5-2553167/

Hope a review would also help clear this up as well.
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 11:07:53 PM EDT
[#46]
Confirmed from Bill…. In the other thread in GD.

.062” is the proper intended gas port size for the barrel

Quoted:
Quoted:
There are reports that some recently purchased 16” mid length G barrels are arriving with really small gas ports…. Possibly misdrilled as if they were carbine length
View Quote

Nope, .062" is the correct size.

Guns run just fine.

No more eyefuls of gas.  Especially with a suppressor.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/17/2022 1:44:36 AM EDT
[#47]
It’s a suppressor use only barrel?
Link Posted: 5/17/2022 5:32:04 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

I have a new in box 16 inch 40mm super duty I’d be more than happy to loan to you for a review.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/503939/51C25804-1330-4955-A1C8-F626CBADE244_jpe-2386704.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/forums/General/i-found-this-interesting-Geissele-Super-Duty-/5-2553167/

Hope a review would also help clear this up as well.
View Quote

Awesome. Hope he takes you up on it.
Link Posted: 5/17/2022 11:54:51 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
So, threw the new barrel on an upper this weekend and went out for a test shoot to see how it grouped. After only a dozen  shots or so, I called it a day because not one round cycled correctly. They would eject, but the carrier would not pick up another one.

The ejection pattern was about 3 o'clock (H1 buffer) and consitent for every load in used. The lower and upper have been used before with zero hiccups. Shot 3 different types of ammo, including 75g Match grade Hornady, and full powered IMI M193 and M855.... And Nothing worked.

In fact, the final round didn't even eject. The bolt remained closed and I had to manually charge it to eject.

Now yes, this could have all been from a misaligned gas block... But it wasn't. The gas block was perfect. It was aligned directly over the dimple and attached. The gas setup was also just used on another 16", mid-length setup to perfection on a BA nitirded barrel. It functioned flawlessly there, but was a cycling nightmare with the Geissele Barrel.

I'm not even sure what to do now. I guess I'm going to have to call Geissele or Midway to try to get a refund, because this is not acceptable. If the barrel will only work with a suppressor, then Geissele should have declared that in their description. I have also not heard of any cycling problems with the Geissele Super Duty rifles, which this 16" barrel is supposed to be modeled after... Only the gas length change for more home build parts compatibility.

Anyone know what else could be wrong? I'm pretty perplexed and perturbed here.

I guess I will try another gas block and BCG combo as soon as I get the chance to change them out, but I doubt it's going to help. All I know is, it shouldn't be this finicky to shoot full powered mil spec ammo. That M855 is some very very high pressure stuff and this should not be happening.
View Quote

Yeah, that’s pretty shitty on Geissele’s part. I had a factory FN barrel that showed up with a .060 port…found out the hard way. I have some carbide drill bits that will open it up to .073 and it will be perfect. I’d be glad to send you one if you end up getting stuck with the barrel and need a fix.
Link Posted: 5/19/2022 6:27:59 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View Quote

It's a muzzle brake threaded on to the barrel with a straightness gauge running through the barrel and the muzzle brake.  It can give you an idea of how concentric the muzzle threads are to the bore.

Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top