Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/13/2014 5:41:50 AM EDT
I found this barrel for $79.99 + shipping.   Its is a 16" 223 Wylde chamber with a 1:9 twist and parkerized.

Any one experience with Bear Creek?   Seems too good to be true for a Wylde chamber.  Tempted to be a Guinea pig on this.

Link Posted: 2/13/2014 7:30:57 AM EDT
[#1]
Very Shitty website. I dont even think you can check out online. Either its a very new company, or like 1 dude in his basement running it.

Be the Genie Pig and let us know :p
Link Posted: 2/14/2014 5:25:35 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Very Shitty website. I dont even think you can check out online. Either its a very new company, or like 1 dude in his basement running it.

Be the Genie Pig and let us know :p
View Quote

Alright, I'll be the huckleberry.   Order placed....
Link Posted: 2/14/2014 7:15:16 AM EDT
[#3]
Cool deal! How much did it end up setting you back
Link Posted: 2/14/2014 8:09:59 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Cool deal! How much did it end up setting you back
View Quote

About $95 shipped.   I'll post about the barrel when I receive it.  However I probably won't shoot it for another 2-3 months as parts arrive.
Link Posted: 2/14/2014 8:38:29 AM EDT
[#5]
Just curious, why did you not just get a 556 barrel instead of the 223 wylde. Alot more options when it comes to 556. I just picked one up from CCMG, nitrade coated for 140 something bucks.
Link Posted: 2/14/2014 9:18:05 AM EDT
[#6]
Probably the same barrel in their rifles.
$499.99 AR-15 at Classic
Link Posted: 2/14/2014 4:44:16 PM EDT
[#7]
It is MMC, Moore Machine, they are marketing under a different name now, probably because of their reputation for building crap products.
Link Posted: 2/14/2014 6:20:09 PM EDT
[#8]
The shop is about 30 mins from my house.  Maybe I should go take a tour and let ya'll know what I find
Link Posted: 2/15/2014 7:53:58 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
It is MMC, Moore Machine, they are marketing under a different name now, probably because of their reputation for building crap products.
View Quote

I do believe you are correct.  I'll post my findings when I receive them.

I went with a 223 Wylde because you can still use 5.56  with "supposedly" better accuracy.  Though my understanding is that some of the steel cased ammo don't work aswell.

Link Posted: 2/15/2014 9:55:10 AM EDT
[#10]
Classic Firearms sent me this a few days ago fluffing up Bear Creek. Here is the info:

So Just Who Is Bear Creek Arsenal …. Here's The Story…

Bear Creek Arsenal is owned and operated by the Moore family. They have a long history here in our North Carolina not only as master machinist but as shooters, armorers and craftsmen.

Until now Bear Creek has been mostly known behind the scenes in the firearms community for making custom barrels, complex receivers, and high end private label rifle parts for builders across the country.

More recently, their sister company, Moore's Machine, introduced a base level AR-15 to the market. This is a rifle that we carried for a while, stopped carrying, and then re-introduced after extensive testing and becoming comfortable with their newly found level of consistent quality. After being re-introduced, they were a huge success!

Recently, in their ongoing effort to produce the finest rifle possible, the Moore family has taken the entire MMC operation and moved it to their dedicated custom facility at their Bear Creek Arsenal location. At Bear Creek Arsenal, each rifle is built from the ground up on dedicated equipment and under the direct oversight and quality control of the Moore family themselves.

Since we re-introduced the MMC rifles in late 2013 the quality has always been good, but now under the new Bear Creek Arsenal banner, we think it is even better.

Buyers will notice a nicer finish, smoother lines, higher quality markings, and a more professional fit and finish than ever before. They feed as smooth as glass and the accuracy rivals that of many custom guns.

We are convinced that these are the best bang for the rifle buck of any gun in America! For shooters, by shooters, that is Bear Creek Arsenal.

Ready to shop? Check out the first two Bear Creek AR's on our site -
Link Posted: 2/15/2014 5:39:11 PM EDT
[#11]
That price is just more proof that the bottom is falling out of the AR Market.
Link Posted: 2/24/2014 4:43:50 AM EDT
[#12]
Barrel is being delivered this afternoon.   I'll try and get some measurements, but not likely much till the weekend.   I won't be assembling it for a few months though.
Link Posted: 2/24/2014 6:29:40 AM EDT
[#13]
We use some of their barrels for varmint builds at a shop i work at...they seem to be decent quality!
Link Posted: 2/25/2014 1:17:27 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Probably the same barrel in their rifles.
$499.99 AR-15 at Classic
View Quote

Barrel life rated at 150,000 rounds?!!! SIGN ME THE FUCK UP  

Link Posted: 2/25/2014 6:38:42 AM EDT
[#15]
Sorry I don't have any photos.   Did not have much time yesterday.

My crappy calipers measured the gas port at 0.0685 and right on at 0.750 for the gas block diameter.

The entire barrel was parkerized including the M4 extension.   The finish is even and consistent.   The inside of the bore looks good with crisp rifling.   I need to run a cloth through it a few times to ensure all the dust is out and put a bit of polish on it.   I will try and post some photos later.
Link Posted: 2/25/2014 6:53:48 AM EDT
[#16]
Run away from bear creek, they are the same junk under a different name. anyone who can offer a "full feature ar15" for under $500 needs to be looked at with extreme skepticism
Link Posted: 2/25/2014 8:32:55 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
That price is just more proof that the bottom is falling out of the AR Market.
View Quote

I think you're right.  But heck, why not buy low, sell high?  Get these now at this price and sell for double the next time some idiot blows away a bunch of innocents.
Link Posted: 3/5/2014 6:41:32 PM EDT
[#18]
As promised here are some photos

Here is the gas port

Here is the M4 extension

End thread

Overall the barrel looks good.   There is one thing that I noticed, the rifling looks good, however I did notice a weird scratch down in the barrel.   I tried to take photos.

Thoughts?

Link Posted: 3/6/2014 4:53:28 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted: Isn't that the gas port you are seeing inside the barrel?  
View Quote

You are right it looks a little rough but it'll smooth out.  It is the gas port, I put a small wire through the hole and it was the mark.

Overall, the rifling looks good in my opinion.

I'm going to run some metal polish through the barrel and polish up the feed ramp.   I'll check the head spacing later.

For $95 delivered, I am happy.
Link Posted: 3/17/2014 10:00:28 AM EDT
[#21]
Thanks to Splitpi for being the first brave soul to order one and taking the time to post his findings.  Based on his initial observations being mostly positive, I thought I'd also take a chance and I just ordered two of them.  When I get them I will inspect them and take photos and share them along with my observations.  Stay tuned...
Link Posted: 3/20/2014 10:06:13 AM EDT
[#22]
I just went full Huckleberry. It will be a month before I can pick up the rifle, as I am on a boat right now. But, when I do get home, I will continually update my results here. 499.99 from Classic till the end of march. The manufacturer it is already selling it at 649.95 direct sales. Supposedly they "flooded" the market to get them out there, and now are selling at a reactive price based on feedback from the "flood".
Link Posted: 3/20/2014 11:19:50 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
The shop is about 30 mins from my house.  Maybe I should go take a tour and let ya'll know what I find
View Quote

That would be great....and appreciated, as I just purchased one from them, and it is my first AR. New to the platform, and this site, but not firearms in general. I am sticking my neck out a little on this purchase. (I realize this) My back yard is 150yds deep and I am not looking for a 500-800 yd. rifle. Nor do I think I will put 15,000 rounds through it....but who knows :). It will be a good starter AR for my son either way. Any feedback is appreciated, and when I finally get home I will post my results continually here, as the best judgment on any newly manufactured brands quality is not heresy, but to push it through its paces. I will be a guinea pig for this one, as I am on a budget. If there is something in particular (results) you want me to report, let me know.
Link Posted: 3/26/2014 7:38:19 AM EDT
[#24]
Any reports on how the barrel holds up after shooting?  Can't beat $70.
Link Posted: 3/26/2014 12:51:37 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Any reports on how the barrel holds up after shooting?  Can't beat $70.
View Quote

Still waiting on an upper and other components.  It will be a while.
Link Posted: 3/26/2014 1:10:13 PM EDT
[#26]
I picked up two will be assembling one today
Link Posted: 3/27/2014 11:37:42 AM EDT
[#27]
That feed ramp on the right looks a bit beat up.
Link Posted: 3/28/2014 7:23:24 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
That feed ramp on the right looks a bit beat up.
View Quote

I noticed that aswell in the photo.  I am not sure if it is the photo or actual ramp.  Or could be from the drunk'n night of playing lawn darts with the barrell  I kid...  I'll look at and get back.  In either case, I do plan to polish the ramps and flush it up with the upper when ever I receive it.

I am on the Shadow Ops upper pre-order... so it could be 4 months more..

UPDATE...

Yes there is a little roughness on the feed ramp.  However, the photo makes it look worse than reality.  I little polishing and smoothing when I mate it to the upper will fix it.
Link Posted: 4/3/2014 12:05:06 AM EDT
[#29]
I wish they had one in 5.56 and 1:7 twist - I'd buy one. Classic Arms actually still has 1:9 twist 5.56 barrels available $69.99 - I just checked (sigh). I don't want 1:9 twist for the rifle I'm building that I need a barrel for though. Otherwise, I'd buy one :/

Link Posted: 5/5/2014 2:38:24 AM EDT
[#30]
I ordered this barrel and did my build. Shot 150 rounds. The accuracy is no different than my Stag arms weapon with a 16 inch 1/9 twist. This barrel did not like Tula steel case but neither did the Stag arms. I am going just quit buying Tula ammo. Bottom line is this barrel works well. I just ordered an 18" in 1/8 twist. I bet it will be fine.
Link Posted: 5/6/2014 6:31:37 AM EDT
[#31]
I'm just getting into 3-gun, but have been shooting cowboy action seriously for over 13 years as well as working on my own guns for 30+ years.  Not an expert by any means, but am comfortable that I know junk or poor service when I'm stuck with it.  A recent and VERY POSITIVE experience with the folks at Bear Creek has put them on my proverbial "Christmas card list", and I literally signed up for an AR15.com account so I could say so on this thread.  Specifically, I bought an earlier MMC M4 carbine last year which would be my second AR but first 3-gun rifle (and to celebrate graduating from school again!), and was going to range test it for the first time late last month when I discovered that it had an issue with the surface condition of the bore which I couldn't resolve despite 4 days of trying.  I had been given no useful info from the fellow I'd bought it new OOB from at a local gun show last year, so was left to "Google" the info stamped on the lower.  Despite the length of time since my purchase, the Bear Creek folks could not have been more friendly, responsive or accommodating.  They had it back to me with an upper newly barreled for 223 Wylde , a new polymer mag, and a carry case.  I'd initially been impressed with the superior "fit and finish" of this rifle, as I've seen way too many ARs that literally look like a pile o' parts even if the light ain't good, and after looking it over closely and critically this morning have no regrets whatsoever with my selection.  I can't recall a time that a manufacturer has gone further out of their way to rectify an issue of any sort for me; I can't imagine getting more "bang for buck" than this gun provides; and I'm now really looking forward to commencing a phased build-up of it to get me into 3-gun with what I think might be some fairly decent stage times for a newbie!
Link Posted: 5/26/2014 5:07:14 PM EDT
[#32]
Hey guys here is a Video there are alot of things ya'll can bash on if ya want it was done spur of the moment and first time out with the gun and the family
Watch if you would like I know the problems already so thank you for not busting my chops!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6U6dMlj8MI
Link Posted: 6/25/2014 9:11:07 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I ordered this barrel and did my build. Shot 150 rounds. The accuracy is no different than my Stag arms weapon with a 16 inch 1/9 twist. This barrel did not like Tula steel case but neither did the Stag arms. I am going just quit buying Tula ammo. Bottom line is this barrel works well. I just ordered an 18" in 1/8 twist. I bet it will be fine.
View Quote

Just an update: Got the 18" heavy barrel with 1/8 twist. I did a budget build, Anderson upper and lower, Palmetto State Enhanced lower build kit, AIM NiB v2 .223/5.56 AR/M16 Bolt Carrier Group, Front and Rear Sights for AR Low Profile Flip-Up Sight Set, V2 from seller sfsfmarketsf on Ebay, UTG thin 12 inch free float forend and a SARCO charging handle ejection port and upper parts kit and steel low profile gas block and gas tube. Total cost of build was just 500.00. I shot 350 rounds over the last weekend. Not a single malfunction and zeroed it at 25 meters in 9 rounds. I consistently shot 3/4 inch groups at 25 meters with 223, 5.56, 55 and 62 grain of several manufacturers. Some groups were much better. I am old and do not see as well as I used too, and was using open sights. I am selling my Stag arms model 2HT as it has not a single advantage that I see over my two budget AR builds. I fully expect to get $850.00 minimum for my Stag AR and that will cover the price of my two budget AR's within about $50.00. I have shot a lot of AR's over the last year and built three. Some of the Ar's I shot were $2000.00 weapons. Not one of them was appreciably better operationally than my $500 dollar 18" and $450 16" budget rifles with Bear Creek barrels. Please, all you AR snobs out there spend thousands and feel good but I have no doubt my two AR's are every bit as functional for half the price.

Link Posted: 7/2/2014 7:15:34 PM EDT
[#34]
i just completed a pistol build using their 10.5" stainless heavy barrel yesterday.  made it to the range today for testing.  i experienced stovepipes frequently (2-4 per mag), especially on the second shot when attempting fast (tacticool) follow up shots.  after a bit of research from the internet experts i'm guessing that one potential problem would be that the gun is overgassed, which would be a negative of this particular barrel.  

the other option i'm considering is that my receiver extension is out of spec (too long).  i have a magnesium alloy lower and the gas key was clearly striking it every time it cycled, it's pretty dinged up after 150 rounds. i'm going back to the range friday to (hopefully) diagnose the problem.  

the barrel itself looks great and shots were landing on target despite the malfunctions.  

has anyone else heard of these barrels having issues with overgassing?

Link Posted: 7/2/2014 8:04:18 PM EDT
[#35]
Damn...from your early pics it sure looks like the bore is way off center and the feed ramp looks terrible.

Am I mistaken?
Link Posted: 7/3/2014 6:31:33 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
i just completed a pistol build using their 10.5" stainless heavy barrel yesterday.  made it to the range today for testing.  i experienced stovepipes frequently (2-4 per mag), especially on the second shot when attempting fast (tacticool) follow up shots.  after a bit of research from the internet experts i'm guessing that one potential problem would be that the gun is overgassed, which would be a negative of this particular barrel.  

the other option i'm considering is that my receiver extension is out of spec (too long).  i have a magnesium alloy lower and the gas key was clearly striking it every time it cycled, it's pretty dinged up after 150 rounds. i'm going back to the range friday to (hopefully) diagnose the problem.  

the barrel itself looks great and shots were landing on target despite the malfunctions.  

has anyone else heard of these barrels having issues with overgassing?

View Quote

If you are experiencing stove pipes it is not over gassing it is more than likely under-gassing, or a friction problem on the bolt carrier caused by one or more of three items; 1. excessive friction on the bolt carrier causing it not to go rearward with enough force. 2. Buffer spring is too long and resists the bolt carrier to strongly on the rearward stroke. (Buffer Too heavy, Trim a few coils off spring?) 3. Lastly gas leakage around the gas block or improper alignment of the barrel gas port with the gas block gas port reducing gas pressure so the bolt does not travel rearward with enough force. I have seen all of these on new AR builds although I have only seen one pistol build and it worked fine first test. Hope these help you just wanted to let you know things I have observed on my and others builds first hand.
Link Posted: 7/3/2014 6:35:41 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Damn...from your early pics it sure looks like the bore is way off center and the feed ramp looks terrible.

Am I mistaken?
View Quote

I am sure the off center look is just a trick of the light in the photo. I have two of these barrels and the dimensions are well within tolerances in every way. I will say his barrel cosmetically is not as good looking as the two I have.
Link Posted: 7/8/2014 11:41:48 AM EDT
[#38]
just got back from range trip number two with my bear creek 10.5" ss heavy barrel.  the image is of a 3 shot group from 100 yards from a bench rest.  disclaimer here, i am NOT a bench shooter.  i don't have any experience with bench shooting nor do i have any official marksmanship training.  i'm sure in more capable hands this group would shrink.  ammo for this group was wolf 55 grain FMJ.  </a>" />

also of note, i changed the standard carbine buffer to an H2.  ejection was at one o'clock, but i only had 1 stovepipe in 100 rounds.  the last range trip with a standard weight buffer gave me 2-3 stovepipes per magazine.  i realize each AR pistol/SBR will have it's own personality, but this one is obviously quite gassy.  i'm going to try an H3 buffer, maybe also a heavier spring.
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 10:21:22 PM EDT
[#39]
Maybe try an adjustable gas block??    Just a thought..
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 11:19:25 PM EDT
[#40]
(A) Classic Arms is actually a very old company, I bought my first AK ans 1000rnds of ammo from them in 1999. They are good fellas.

(B)I just got a M4 profile 10.5ss barrel from classic and a M4 upper for $299. Going to be a while before I can assemble mine as well.

My thread: http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_118/652678_Bear_Creek_Arsenal__Are_they_any_good_.html

Link Posted: 8/10/2014 12:39:25 PM EDT
[#41]
Their prices rival PSA's P-TAC stuff and from what I've found researching MMC and Bear Creek, their barrels are very good!   Contemplating my next build...  :)   I want to do build the lightest AR on a shoestring budget. I've seen several under 5lbs, but I don't want to spend more than $450 to do it.
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 8:10:08 AM EDT
[#42]
adjustable gas block is en route.  i tried several combinations of buffer spring and buffer weights.  with a standard buffer spring and H3 buffer i was able to get better reliability but brass was still landing at the 1 o'clock position.  i've also tried some sprinco springs (blue and red) with similar results.  i think the bottom line is that if you're going to get one of their shorter barrels it would be wise to look into an adjustable gas block.  

aside from this barrel being very gassy, everything else has been great.  i've got about 500 rounds through it at this point and am very satisfied.  i would recommend these barrels if they stay at their current price point.  if you're building a budget gun for recreational use i think this is an excellent option.  the only reason i'm dropping the cash on an adjustable gas block is because i want this pistol to be 100% dependable.  if all you care about is having a range toy this obviously wouldn't be necessary.
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 8:16:48 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
just got back from range trip number two with my bear creek 10.5" ss heavy barrel.  the image is of a 3 shot group from 100 yards from a bench rest.  disclaimer here, i am NOT a bench shooter.  i don't have any experience with bench shooting nor do i have any official marksmanship training.  i'm sure in more capable hands this group would shrink.  ammo for this group was wolf 55 grain FMJ.  http://<a href=http://i1353.photobucket.com/albums/q671/hoovdizzle/IMG_0958_zps2f78574b.jpg</a>" />

also of note, i changed the standard carbine buffer to an H2.  ejection was at one o'clock, but i only had 1 stovepipe in 100 rounds.  the last range trip with a standard weight buffer gave me 2-3 stovepipes per magazine.  i realize each AR pistol/SBR will have it's own personality, but this one is obviously quite gassy.  i'm going to try an H3 buffer, maybe also a heavier spring.
View Quote

A group like that with Wolf is pretty standard. Try some good quality brass cased ammo if you really want to see what it will do.
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 9:39:20 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

A group like that with Wolf is pretty standard. Try some good quality brass cased ammo if you really want to see what it will do.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
just got back from range trip number two with my bear creek 10.5" ss heavy barrel.  the image is of a 3 shot group from 100 yards from a bench rest.  disclaimer here, i am NOT a bench shooter.  i don't have any experience with bench shooting nor do i have any official marksmanship training.  i'm sure in more capable hands this group would shrink.  ammo for this group was wolf 55 grain FMJ.  http://<a href=http://i1353.photobucket.com/albums/q671/hoovdizzle/IMG_0958_zps2f78574b.jpg</a>" />

right on.  wolf is obviously not the best choice, i just wanted to get a group on paper to post up here for all those curious.  once i get the new gas block installed i'll try to put another group on paper with some better ammo.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top