Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/5/2012 11:11:44 AM EDT
http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/ar-15-05/complete-uppers/psa-16-hammer-forged-cmv-mid-length-stripped-upper-without-bcg-or-charging-handle.html

Is this a good deal?

I need to complete two of my *gulp* Roggio lowers.  I wanted a mid-length and a 20" so now I just need PSA to put their 20" on sale.  That and I need two new charging handles, bolts, an AIMPOINT PRO and a couple rear sights.

p.s. there is a kicking deal for $299 for the carbine.  If I didn't already have two complete carbines, I would have bought it.

New
Link Posted: 5/5/2012 11:48:14 AM EDT
[#1]
PSA has built a very good reputation for quality parts at excellent prices.  This IS a very good deal!
Link Posted: 5/5/2012 12:13:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Palmetto "Mid-Length Madness Sale" Middy Upper Just Received yesterday

In April, I stumbled across that "Mid-Length Madness Sale" AD on the Palmetto State Armory web site and at once placed an order. The price was, and I think still is, $349.95 for a mid-length upper assembly less BCG or handle, but complete with the FN hammer forged "machine gun steel" barrel. Seemed like a good deal!

Though there was a UPS tracking number with link within the order status page, it didn't do much of anything. An Email notice appeared on May 3rd stating that my order had just shipped. Figured that the thing would show up next week. Yesterday afternoon, I happened to copy and paste the track number into the actual UPS tracking site. Was quite surprised to see that the box had been actually shipped out last week and was OUT FOR DELIVERY. About 20-minutes later, I heard my wife upstairs talking with somebody. It was the UPS man and she was signing for the shipment. Holy Moly! Though I was please to have received the product . . . there's no doubt that Palmetto needs to work on it's shipping notice system as it's pretty lame.

Anyway . . . This 16" mid-length upper assembly appears to be well made and nicely finished. The AD stated specifically that there was no logo on this upper which seemed to me as an added bonus.  As it turned out, the small white Palmetto crossed cannon label was is in fact on the left side. I dislike company labels of any kind on my stuff, but this PSA logo is not too obtrusive.

What I found interesting was that this upper came with a large fat A2 style front grip. Never knew that such things existed! It makes the one on my M16A2 clone look skinny and anemic by comparison. Before receiving this upper, I'd thought about putting on Magpul grips. These chunky fore grips handle well and are pretty cool so they'll stay on the rifle. The finish color is a black charcoal that by comparison makes the Stag lower look somewhat gray. Fit to the Stag lower is very good with the match being just tight enough. Found it interesting that the forging code on the upper receiver has the fractured letter "A".

The BCG in there now is a military contract Toolcraft carrier with FN bolt. Though I well lubed the carrier group, there's a scuffing sound heard which I guess is because the upper receiver is new? Need to mount the sites and it should be okay to roll. Actually put this middy carbine AR together for my wife's use. First impressions are that this is an excellent product for the money.

We need to go out and put some rounds through this rifle to loosen up things. All in all, I am happy with my $349.95 "Mid-Length Madness Sale" AR middy purchase.
Link Posted: 5/5/2012 12:19:41 PM EDT
[#3]
The scuffing sound is normal when its brand new.  After a trip to the range, it should sound normal
Link Posted: 5/5/2012 12:22:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Mine sounded the same before I put a couple hundred rounds through it.
Link Posted: 5/5/2012 1:04:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Cool, I'm excited then!

New
Link Posted: 5/9/2012 1:48:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Okay . . . this Palmetto "Mid-Length Madness" derived $349.95 upper assembly matched with second-hand STAG lower and other cigar box components came together this week.  This rifle is a hodge-podge of used surplus parts.   The BCG is a USGI "Toolcraft" carrier with FN bolt.  Have a set of MOE hand guards that may go on. Thing is, I like the big fat A2 style that it came with from Palmetto.   And yes, that is a canvas USGI M1 Garand sling.   All of my rifles have these except for the .303 Brit Enfield No 4s that are equipped with those oddball limey slings.

That's a like new, "used" MATECH military type back-up rear sight on top that was bought off eBay for forty-bucks shipped . The red / green dot 1x32 scope sight is a Bushnell product. picked up used from the EE board for $75.  Works good too!    This middy along with an FN M16A2 clone rifle are the primary defensive battle implements here at the weird geezer homestead and bingo parlor.  With cold hammer forged FN made barrel, for the price, this is a good deal.

Made a couple of pictures of the middy rifle / carbine as seen below.

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top