Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/4/2012 5:55:32 PM EDT
I am going to swap my A2 frame AR to a A3/A4 flat top receiver and had some questions. I have taken a lot of ARs apart before to make various upgrades. Do I just need to remove the flash hider, front sight and use the armorers wrench to remove the castle nut? Any advice or tips would be helpful. Thanks!
Link Posted: 4/4/2012 6:06:46 PM EDT
[#1]
If your AR has standard handguards and not some sort of free float rail, you'll only need to remove the handguards, remove the gas tube, and loosen the barrel nut with your wrench.
Link Posted: 4/4/2012 6:11:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Awesome thanks!
Link Posted: 4/4/2012 6:19:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Make sure you purchase a flat top receiver that is compatible (rifle or M4) with your barrel extension's ramps.
Link Posted: 4/4/2012 7:22:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Yea I purchased the the compatible receiver from the same
Manufacturer that makes my rifle so I should be good there.
Link Posted: 4/4/2012 7:25:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

You will be. All of ArmaLite's upper receivers and barrels have M4 feed ramps. Good choice of rifle, by the way. ArmaLite is my favorite.
Link Posted: 4/4/2012 8:55:45 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You will be. All of ArmaLite's upper receivers and barrels have M4 feed ramps. Good choice of rifle, by the way. ArmaLite is my favorite.

Same Here, wonderful guns, great service.

Link Posted: 4/5/2012 2:40:24 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Same Here, wonderful guns, great service.  

Agreed as well.
Check my avatar.
Link Posted: 4/5/2012 8:56:09 AM EDT
[#8]
I'm swapping that receiver out to drop a scope on it.  Do you guys have any recommendations for optics?  I have always been partial to Leupold but would be open to others.  It would mainly be for targets at or around 100 yards.  Also do you think I should take that front sight off and swap for a railed gas block?
Link Posted: 4/5/2012 9:05:11 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I'm swapping that receiver out to drop a scope on it.  Do you guys have any recommendations for optics?  I have always been partial to Leupold but would be open to others.  It would mainly be for targets at or around 100 yards.  Also do you think I should take that front sight off and swap for a railed gas block?

I would look at a 1x-4x....possibly illuminated.
Several good choices in this class, depending on budget.

The illuminated Vortex PST is getting good reviews....$500

Millet
Weaver
Nikon
Burris
Leupold

The FSB will fade out of focus at about 3x.....I would try the optic with the FSB still in place and see how it is.

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top