Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/5/2012 8:55:53 PM EDT
http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee287/abuttieri/106.jpghttp://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee287/abuttieri/105.jpghttp://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee287/abuttieri/103-1.jpgToday I got me  a brand new Colt LE6920MPR!  I love it! I also Purchased a eotech xps2 and a g23 magnifier for it. I love the gun but i hate knowing the lower reciever is blocked or unmilled.  I have no plans to do anything illegal to this gun but I would like to have someone finish milling the lower reciever.  Any companys out there that do this?
Link Posted: 2/5/2012 9:02:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Pics?
Link Posted: 2/5/2012 10:51:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Try m60joe.com he took out an old pinned block for me im sure he could mill that out to standard.
Link Posted: 2/6/2012 1:34:48 AM EDT
[#3]
why would you need to mill it out if its illegal to convert it to take an auto sear anyway?
Link Posted: 2/6/2012 4:04:34 AM EDT
[#4]
From what I've read it isn't illegal.  I have a bushmaster and they are not the same,  I was wanting to make it I guess more like the correct mil spec if that makes sense. like I said I have no illegal plans for this weapon.I  was just wondering ? Does it makes it less desireable for resale if its a non open lower reciever?
Link Posted: 2/6/2012 4:49:53 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
From what I've read it isn't illegal.  I have a bushmaster and they are not the same,  I was wanting to make it I guess more like the correct mil spec if that makes sense. like I said I have no illegal plans for this weapon.I  was just wondering ? Does it makes it less desireable for resale if its a non open lower reciever?

Your talking about that web of metal across the area in back of the fire control group. It'll have zero effect on resale value. Doesn't make much sense to mill it out unless you plan to install a registered drop in auto sear.
Link Posted: 2/6/2012 4:55:18 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Your Bushmaster is not "milspec" either.  

If you're not planning to put in a DIAS, it makes absolutely 0% difference.  

A factory full auto lower is pictured to the right, a "low shelf" semi to the right.  

In order for it to be "milspec," you'd need to mill out your Bushmaster as well.  I have no idea why you'd want to do that unless you're installing an auto-sear though.  

ETA: Colt "sear web" for comparison:

~Augee
Link Posted: 2/6/2012 4:59:13 AM EDT
[#7]
If anything your going to devalue the Colt if you start milling out the lower receiver......
Link Posted: 2/6/2012 5:15:15 AM EDT
[#8]
Just think of it this way:

The Colt has a "better than milspec" lateral crush strength than a low shelf or FA lower.  

It's mo betta.  

~Augee
Link Posted: 2/6/2012 5:15:44 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
If anything your going to devalue the Colt if you start milling out the lower receiver......

this.

really, it just doesn't matter if it stays the way it is
Link Posted: 2/6/2012 7:00:25 AM EDT
[#10]
you could spend the money on mags and ammo, opposed to milling services fee's.

and be better off for it.
Link Posted: 2/6/2012 9:35:37 AM EDT
[#11]
Okay well that settles that.  I only have one other ar and its the bushmaster.  I was just thinking maybe I should make them look the same.  I am going to leave it alone. probably wont shoot it much any way.  On this new colt I like all the magpul stuff except for the rear sight.  I cant mount the magnifier where I want because of it.   i have to have it one notch in front of it.  maybe I need to exchange that sight out for a different one.  But thank you everyone on the input on the lower reciever question.
Link Posted: 2/6/2012 11:39:48 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
probably wont shoot it much any way.  On this new colt I like all the magpul stuff except for the rear sight.  I cant mount the magnifier where I want because of it.   i have to have it one notch in front of it.  maybe I need to exchange that sight out for a different one.

At least shoot it between 600 to 1K rounds just to make sure there are no problems, then you could set it aside for future SHTF use.

Take a look at KAC rear folding sights like the Micro 300 Meter (no elevation adjustment) and Micro 200-600 Meter with adjustable elevation, also the Troy folding BattleSight, they take up only the T1 rail location and are very low profile when folded.

I have the KAC 300 M rear sight on my Colt SP6920 and Troy on my 6721 carbines and I use my magnifier on LaRue pivot QD mounts on them all without any problems.

Congrats man nice carbine.

KAC Micro 300 M Rear Folding Sight - link

KAC Micro 200-600 M Rear Folding Sight - link

Troy Rear Folding BattleSights - link

Link Posted: 2/6/2012 11:47:48 AM EDT
[#13]
thanks  for that info.  I really fell in love with this gun at the gun show.  I actually went to purchase a fn scar 17 in tan (FDE) but all that was there was black.
Link Posted: 2/6/2012 4:51:00 PM EDT
[#14]
If you really want to make them look alike, you'd be much better served to make the Bushy more like the Colt, rather than the other way around .
Link Posted: 2/6/2012 6:24:26 PM EDT
[#15]
that's not an LE6920.  

it's an SP6920.  it's part of the serial number.  LE's are also tagged "colt defense" and not "colt mfg co"

Sorry.
Link Posted: 2/6/2012 7:26:14 PM EDT
[#16]

I guess colt got a typo on the box.  So even though the box says model LE 6920 MPR its not? Because thats the serial number directly above where it says MODEL  LE6920MPR
Quoted:
that's not an LE6920.  

it's an SP6920.  it's part of the serial number.  LE's are also tagged "colt defense" and not "colt mfg co"

Sorry.

Link Posted: 2/6/2012 7:50:43 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
that's not an LE6920.  

Sorry.

Sorry to you PAL, no offense but you might be mistaken.

Take a look at the Colt Mfg. 2012 catalog on page 38 which shows this LE6920MP-R which also have an SP prefix serial number.

It is not a regular Colt model, it is a Talo Distributors exclusive model with Magpul components also Troy drop-in rails and the factory with their past history just uses whatever lowers are available that could either have Colt Defense or Colt Mfg. Co. markings, same with the serial number prefix they vary.

Link Posted: 2/6/2012 8:19:01 PM EDT
[#18]
Was suppose to be a special edition with only 1500 built.... correct me if I am wrong.
Quoted:
Quoted:
that's not an LE6920.  

Sorry.

Take a look at the Colt Mfg. 2012 catalog on page 38 which shows this LE6920MP-R which also have an SP prefix serial number.

It is not a regular Colt model, it is a Talo Distributors exclusive model with Magpul components also Troy drop-in rails and the factory with their past history just uses whatever lowers are available that could either have Colt Defense or Colt Mfg. Co. markings, same with the serial number prefix they vary.

Link Posted: 2/6/2012 8:30:19 PM EDT
[#19]
I like that roll mark. Where'd ya git it?
Link Posted: 2/6/2012 8:40:45 PM EDT
[#20]
from ajc gunshop at the local Fun show
Link Posted: 2/7/2012 4:41:39 AM EDT
[#21]
My bad, I did some digging this morning and it seems that I was mistaken.  I popped open the catalog and price list for this year and every LE model in the catalog has an LE serial and Colt Defense on the lower, except for the LE6920MP-R, and the LE6920SOCOM.  The strange part is, when you look at the 6720MP-FDE it got an LE rollmarked lower with Colt Defense on it.  

I knew the MP-R had a mess of extra stuff stacked onto it, but in the manufacturing process usually companies mass-manufacture parts according to series and they get serial numbered based on that series, then they get sent to the various other production lines to get fitted with accessories to finish the product.   The SP serial number he has is a standard format for an SP lower, and the Colt's MFG Co. stamp is typical of their consumer model product.  In the past, the LE's standard format is LE serial and Colt Defense upper, and was the standard on their military/LE product.  I (incorrectly) made the assumption that a serial of SP meant "Sporter", which was always sold as the "civvy" model of the LE.

Basically colt is putting an SP upper and lower with magpul parts and calling it an LE, but it's not coming off the same line as the LE, or it would be stamped & serial numbered the same as the other LE products they produce.  It should be, logically, identical to an SP with magpul parts, despite being packed as an LE model.  Since only the upper and lower are made by Colt, and TALO is putting the troy rails & magpul parts on it, I would assume TALO was sent SP stamped & rollmarked complete rifles and that they let loose and do all the rest of the assembly and finishing.

I guess at the end of the day, colt doesn't care which serials or rollmarks made it onto the product.  The catalog is a mishmash of LE and SP marked lowers on all the LE product.  All the MT product has the "Colt's Mfg Co" stamps, but that seems to be the only constant in the catalog.

I'm sure whatever they are doing, it was to increase efficiency and profit to insulate the company from uncertain times, both in the states and around the world.  

I apologize for the ignorance.
Link Posted: 2/7/2012 4:56:56 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
you could spend the money on mags and ammo, opposed to milling services fee's.

and be better off for it.

Link Posted: 2/7/2012 5:20:13 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
My bad, I did some digging this morning and it seems that I was mistaken.  I popped open the catalog and price list for this year and every LE model in the catalog has an LE serial and Colt Defense on the lower, except for the LE6920MP-R, and the LE6920SOCOM.  The strange part is, when you look at the 6720MP-FDE it got an LE rollmarked lower with Colt Defense on it.  

I knew the MP-R had a mess of extra stuff stacked onto it, but in the manufacturing process usually companies mass-manufacture parts according to series and they get serial numbered based on that series, then they get sent to the various other production lines to get fitted with accessories to finish the product.   The SP serial number he has is a standard format for an SP lower, and the Colt's MFG Co. stamp is typical of their consumer model product.  In the past, the LE's standard format is LE serial and Colt Defense upper, and was the standard on their military/LE product.  I (incorrectly) made the assumption that a serial of SP meant "Sporter", which was always sold as the "civvy" model of the LE.

Basically colt is putting an SP upper and lower with magpul parts and calling it an LE, but it's not coming off the same line as the LE, or it would be stamped & serial numbered the same as the other LE products they produce.  It should be, logically, identical to an SP with magpul parts, despite being packed as an LE model.  Since only the upper and lower are made by Colt, and TALO is putting the troy rails & magpul parts on it, I would assume TALO was sent SP stamped & rollmarked complete rifles and that they let loose and do all the rest of the assembly and finishing.

I guess at the end of the day, colt doesn't care which serials or rollmarks made it onto the product.  The catalog is a mishmash of LE and SP marked lowers on all the LE product.  All the MT product has the "Colt's Mfg Co" stamps, but that seems to be the only constant in the catalog.

I'm sure whatever they are doing, it was to increase efficiency and profit to insulate the company from uncertain times, both in the states and around the world.  

I apologize for the ignorance.

COLT'S MFG and COLT DEFENSE are administrative distinctions for distribution.  The weapons are made in the same factory with the same parts other than the configuration specific items.  

Prior to the separation of COLT DEFENSE and COLT'S MFG, all AR15 types, to include military production M16 FOW were marked COLT'S MFG INC.  

~Augee
Link Posted: 2/7/2012 7:04:22 AM EDT
[#24]
I assumed as much, but the cost to retool production lines for rollmarks must be expensive, so my assumption is that while all parts are identical, they have 2 lines producing identical product with different markings in the same factory.  Batches of each are assigned to a different location after that for final fit & finish.

I'm sure there is a method to the madness.
Link Posted: 2/7/2012 7:24:11 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I assumed as much, but the cost to retool production lines for rollmarks must be expensive, so my assumption is that while all parts are identical, they have 2 lines producing identical product with different markings in the same factory.  Batches of each are assigned to a different location after that for final fit & finish.

I'm sure there is a method to the madness.

I'm stepping a little out of my lane here, I've never been to Hartford, much less the Colt factory, and I don't know much about machining, but these:

(not my photos)

...are what are used to make the rollmarks.  

I know that they are interchangeable, since they have to be replaced when they get old and damaged, and I suspect they fit into a pretty simple fixture.  

IIRC from touring the FNMI factory that FN's process is to do the rollmarking before final machining.  I know because I tried to convince them to sell me a rollmarked forging as a souvenier (all I got was a lousy SCAR t-shirt ).  

I would guess that something along the lines of:

"Bill, I need 200 6920s rolled by lunchtime, then I want you to switch the rollers over and give me 500 M4s before COB."  

If it were my business, I'd do every machining step except for the FCG pocket at the same station once they got rolled.  Then, I would anodize and finish them all together.  It's way more efficient than to imagine that they stay perfectly separated once they get "designated" a certain way.  

But, I don't know.  Never seen their setup.  It just seems like good business to me.  

~Augee
Link Posted: 2/7/2012 8:45:47 AM EDT
[#26]
I would love to tour the Colt factory.  6 hour drive? meh.  worth it imo.
Link Posted: 2/7/2012 9:05:05 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I would love to tour the Colt factory.  6 hour drive? meh.  worth it imo.

Sixteen.  

~Augee
Link Posted: 2/7/2012 11:32:09 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Was suppose to be a special edition with only 1500 built.... correct me if I am wrong.
Quoted:
Quoted:
that's not an LE6920.  

Sorry.

You're correct, distributors' special limited edition models are a limited production run, some other new special edition models like the 6920SOCOM will have a Knight's Armament M4 RAS rail 5000 are scheduled to be built and the new 6920SOCOMII which has a Daniel Defense M4A1 FSP Rail Interface System (RIS II), there will be 1000 built in 2012.

The only models I know not assembled by the Colt factory are the Competition CR 3 gun models, Expert CRE-18 model and PRO CRP-18 model, they're made for Colt by a licensed Oregon 3 gun gunsmith.

Ref:

http://coltcompetitionrifle.com/

Link Posted: 2/7/2012 4:12:11 PM EDT
[#29]
What's the difference between the MPR and MPB?
Link Posted: 2/8/2012 5:41:44 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
What's the difference between the MPR and MPB?

MP-B  MagPul black furniture:

MP-R Magpul furniture, Troy BattleRail, a limited Talo edition:

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top