Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/24/2011 2:20:55 PM EDT
In the next year or so I've been considering another AR purchase. I have a Colt 6920 and it is a great rifle. My buddy has a Daniel Defense and it is one of the best AR's that I have ever picked up. I have considered another 6920 (or maybe 6940 this time), then I started thinking about Daniel Defense. Lately though I have been reading up on the KAC SR-15 E3. I want the best quality, dead nuts, reliable, toughest AR on the market. Price is no consideration.

I am just wondering if the KAC SR-15 is really worth the extra money over the other two brands I have mentioned.
Link Posted: 12/24/2011 2:25:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Factor in all features it has over a plain 6920.
Link Posted: 12/24/2011 2:28:52 PM EDT
[#2]
I think so, incredible rail system, ambidextrous setup, special bolt designed to be less prone to breakage, it was stoners last design.
Link Posted: 12/24/2011 2:29:26 PM EDT
[#3]
I would not go with the Colt since you already have one.  I have owned some DD accessories and a Omega X FSP Rail and they make great stuff.  But, if price is no option and your thinking about the KAC I say to hell with it and go for it!!    Just make sure you post some pics!
Link Posted: 12/24/2011 3:18:29 PM EDT
[#4]
The KAC won't likely be any more reliable or accurate than the Colt or DD.  However, if money is no consideration as you've said, then get the KAC  because:

1.  It's cool.
2.  Bragging rights.
3.  You'll know that you probably have, arguably, the best money can possibly buy.

Go for it.

I do not have one, and likely never will.  For me, money is a consideration, and I'd rather spend those extra $$$ on ammo, optics, a new pistol, etc.  But we're talking about your $$$$.
Link Posted: 12/24/2011 3:41:10 PM EDT
[#5]
nope......would i like to own one....yup  for what was mentioned above  bragging rights, thats about all
Link Posted: 12/24/2011 3:44:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Depends on your use, if you want a gun that will go bang every time then go with the Colt and be happy.  If you shoot as a hobby and enjoy the bells and whistles then the KAC is worth the price.
Link Posted: 12/24/2011 3:46:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Depends on your use, if you want a gun that will go bang every time then go with the Colt and be happy.  If you shoot as a hobby and enjoy the bells and whistles then the KAC is worth the price.

Except the KAC will go bang every time and is a true improvement over other designs, stoner took his experience and years of evolution to the system and created what he felt was the next step
Link Posted: 12/24/2011 3:49:13 PM EDT
[#8]
I would love to own a knights, but like others will never be able to reasonable justify spending my money on it, but if youve got the extra cash go for it, i sure as hell would
Link Posted: 12/24/2011 3:51:01 PM EDT
[#9]
if i had the money, I would go for a KAC SR-15 over a Colt 6920 any day of the week and twice on Sunday.
Link Posted: 12/24/2011 4:16:34 PM EDT
[#10]
I own a KAC SR-15 complete lower. I must say, it is one sweet piece!
Link Posted: 12/24/2011 4:21:44 PM EDT
[#11]
No. Buy Noveske's SS barrelled rifles instead. As much as I like Knight's Armament I think better is available for cheaper. Build your own and get exactly what you want.
Link Posted: 12/24/2011 4:26:08 PM EDT
[#12]
KAC makes very cool rifles.  It you like the design and features, go for it.  That said, it won't be a better performer than the Colt, just different.
Link Posted: 12/24/2011 4:36:57 PM EDT
[#13]
I have shot a ton of stock style rifles and a lot of full out customs.
The SR15-E3 is the Sweetest, Soft shooting rifle I have ever shot.
The middy gas and barrel, buffer set up is perfect.
It has quickly become My go to gun.
I dont like the fact that it is 16in barrle but I dont think I would bother cutting and pinning it.

If you were to take a stock 6920 for $950 and add
A rail system, 300-400
Sopmod stock, 150
Low pro gas block with flip up sights. 200-250
A 2 stage trigger and Ambi safety 200
You would be most of the way to the cost of a SR15.

You still would not have the middy gas, built in QD sockets and the ambi controls.

You can find a lightly used one for around 1500-1800.

It's a rifle that you just buy and shoot it does NOT have to be tinkered with or upgraded.
Add optic and shoot it.

I would also look into a FN Scar for an all out reliable, cost no option 5.56 rifle.
Then you have a folding stock and piston system as well.
Link Posted: 12/24/2011 4:59:09 PM EDT
[#14]

I own Colt, LMT, RRA, MEGA, and a KAC SR-15 E3 IWS.

If you aren't constrained by the cost, buy the Knights SR-15.

Buy once, cry once.

If price is a limiting factor, DD, Colt, etc are just fine.
You can always mod them as you can afford, down the road.

Link Posted: 12/24/2011 5:12:13 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
KAC makes very cool rifles.  It you like the design and features, go for it.  That said, it won't be a better performer than the Colt, just different.

This
Link Posted: 12/24/2011 5:56:41 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

The KAC won't likely be any more reliable or accurate than the Colt or DD. However, if money is no consideration as you've said, then get the KAC because:

1. It's cool.

2. Bragging rights.

3. You'll know that you probably have, arguably, the best money can possibly buy.

Go for it.

I do not have one, and likely never will. For me, money is a consideration, and I'd rather spend those extra $$$ on ammo, optics, a new pistol, etc. But we're talking about your $$$$.
My SR15 smokes my Colts in the accuracy department, match trigger and a free float barrel.

Link Posted: 12/24/2011 7:40:26 PM EDT
[#17]
6920 for me.
Link Posted: 12/24/2011 7:44:48 PM EDT
[#18]
I think rails are becoming less of a selling point.  Round tubes with rail sections, and MOE hand guards are starting to take off IMHO due to the fact most rail space is not used.
Borrowed a buddies "Dissy style" rifle the other day with a full length MOE hand guard on a 16" barrel, and it ROCKS compared to a quad rail.  (personal opinion of course)
Link Posted: 12/24/2011 8:12:00 PM EDT
[#19]
Knights is certainly a nice rifle. I can't say I'd suggest to you to spend the extra over a colt, because the cost difference could buy you a nice optic and a bunch of ammo. That being said, I'd love to own one of their dimpled barrels at some point.
Link Posted: 12/24/2011 8:26:03 PM EDT
[#20]
I'm not usually a fanboy...but since I see them jumping in every other thread ever and it's Christmas I'm going to give myself a present and indulge my fanboy streak by posting this here wallpaper I made a while back... Colt? Knights? There really is only one option...

Better performance...
Lower cost...
No proprietary BCG parts...

Link Posted: 12/24/2011 9:06:26 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I think rails are becoming less of a selling point.  Round tubes with rail sections, and MOE hand guards are starting to take off IMHO due to the fact most rail space is not used.

Borrowed a buddies "Dissy style" rifle the other day with a full length MOE hand guard on a 16" barrel, and it ROCKS compared to a quad rail.  (personal opinion of course)

I would get a SR15 and put this rail on it...I own a couple of E3's and there are definitely a soft shooting rifle..

Link Posted: 12/24/2011 9:10:25 PM EDT
[#22]
Had one, then a very unique trade opportunity arose so traded it.  I will own another one.  Great rifles. Lite, well balanced, accurate, has the ambi controls. Mine only hiccuped one time and that was on some Wolf ammo, it eat anything else it was fed. Very soft shooting rifles. I ran a Rainier XTC comp on it and it was like shooting a .22  Are they worth the money? Only the person shelling out the cash can truly answer that.  For me? Yes.

Sir James...
Link Posted: 12/24/2011 9:29:42 PM EDT
[#23]
KAC all the way for the reasond mentioned above. I sold mine like a dummy and now I have been trying to find a replacement with no luck. Odds our I will buy another one when the right deal comes along.
Link Posted: 12/25/2011 5:39:59 AM EDT
[#24]
Had a KAC SR-15 E3, sold it like a dumbass when I was hard up for cash.  They blow any and all 16" carbines out of the water and anything close to base model or stock.  They are solidly sitting on the top with the few other elite rifles/carbines that are produced commercially.

I too will be buying another at some point.
Link Posted: 12/25/2011 1:11:12 PM EDT
[#25]
Thank I appreciate all of the feedback. It sounds like I'll be purchasing a Knight's Armament rifle in the not too distant future.
Link Posted: 12/25/2011 3:37:39 PM EDT
[#26]
good choice, i have two kac sr15e3
Link Posted: 12/25/2011 7:20:33 PM EDT
[#27]
The KAC SR15E3 bolt design has been proven to last over 20k rounds. The KAC intermediate gas system is super smooth. I paid $1879 shipped to my FFL dealer.

ETA: here is the KAC when I was doing some accuracy testing with Hornady TAP. KAC SR15E3 barrels are made by Colt Canada hammer forged.
Link Posted: 12/25/2011 10:38:49 PM EDT
[#28]
This might be a good time to ask where I can find the best deals on the SR-15 E3?
Link Posted: 12/26/2011 4:40:24 AM EDT
[#29]
I guy I shoot with has one. It is a light, accurate, sweet shooting rifle. However it doesn't run good on .223 ammo like PMC Bronze, American Eagle etc. He said it was made to run 5.56 ammo and won't cycle .223. Anybody else have this experience or is this isolated to his rifle?
Link Posted: 12/26/2011 5:29:25 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
It doesn't run good on .223 ammo like PMC Bronze, American Eagle etc. He said it was made to run 5.56 ammo and won't cycle .223. Anybody else have this experience or is this isolated to his rifle?

The very early ones were built with a smaller gas port.
The new ones will run reliably on PMC and Wolf.
You buddy can send the upper back to KAC and they will enlarge the gas port a little to fix it at no cost.
There is more info to be found in the KAC Industry section on this.

KAC did not expect people to use the cheapest ammo available on a higher end rifle.
They had to change specs to allow for that.
Link Posted: 12/26/2011 6:36:28 AM EDT
[#31]
While I think Colts and DD rifles are awesome rifles that I would gladly take into combat any day the SR-15 is in a class all by itself. Lighter, Cold hammer Forged Barrel, The DD is aswell but the colt is a buttom barrel. Dimpled Barrel, Lightweight URX III rail system with integrated front sight, and KAC 600 yard rear sight. Triple Tap muzzle device is just awesome.

Do the right thing and get the KAC
Link Posted: 12/26/2011 6:55:54 AM EDT
[#32]
DD is a very nice rifle. I think it comes down to personal preference.

If I were buying a $2500 dollar AR it would be a Noveske.
Link Posted: 12/26/2011 6:58:28 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:
It doesn't run good on .223 ammo like PMC Bronze, American Eagle etc. He said it was made to run 5.56 ammo and won't cycle .223. Anybody else have this experience or is this isolated to his rifle?

The very early ones were built with a smaller gas port.
The new ones will run reliably on PMC and Wolf.
You buddy can send the upper back to KAC and they will enlarge the gas port a little to fix it at no cost.
There is more info to be found in the KAC Industry section on this.

KAC did not expect people to use the cheapest ammo available on a higher end rifle.
They had to change specs to allow for that.

What was KAC thinking ? The rifle is much much cheaper than ammo.
Link Posted: 12/26/2011 12:42:52 PM EDT
[#34]
I have a knight. Its the best rifle ive ever owned.  

Best DI rifle out there
Link Posted: 12/26/2011 12:56:17 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I guy I shoot with has one. It is a light, accurate, sweet shooting rifle. However it doesn't run good on .223 ammo like PMC Bronze, American Eagle etc. He said it was made to run 5.56 ammo and won't cycle .223. Anybody else have this experience or is this isolated to his rifle?

I got mine in January of 2008 and I believe it was one of the first runs..All I run is PMC, AE .223, and XM193 and have not had a single issue rifle related to date. I have just under 10K rounds through mine and it has been used in 2 Carbine classes this year..
Link Posted: 12/26/2011 1:09:17 PM EDT
[#36]
You've already got "the best".

If a KAC rollmark is worth the $$$ to you then by all means.

It's no different than my wife wanting a Coach bag over another bag made from the same quality leather that is 50% cheaper (and made in the same factory).

Last I checked Knights receivers were made by LMT, and Colt & Noveske forgings were made by CMT (Stag).

There are only a couple companies that actually manufacture all the AR parts on the market (it's all re-branded and re-sold).

In the end it's your money so have fun and enjoy whatever you buy!

Link Posted: 12/26/2011 2:03:31 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

It's no different than my wife wanting a Coach bag over another bag made from the same quality leather that is 50% cheaper (and made in the same factory).

Last I checked Knights receivers were made by LMT,

The SR15 is a complete weapon system not a roll mark, It goes way above that.

It is NOT made in the same factory as a Colt, LMT or other rifles.

I highly doubt the Ambi lower with built in QD sockets are made by LMT.
The older pre- E3 lower maybe just maybe.
Link Posted: 12/26/2011 2:45:27 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:

So an "enhanced bolt" and "ambidextrous controls" make it worth the extra money to you. If those features make your shooting more enjoyable, and help you make shots you would otherwise miss then I say money well spent!

I personally would spend the money on shooting the Colt (ammo, training), and am recommending the OP do the same or just get another item that many would consider useful (suppressor, Geissele trigger, good glass, SBR, different weapons platform, etc...)

Link Posted: 12/26/2011 3:07:20 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I took a Travis Haley class a few months ago and a Spikes rep (Mil/Le sales) was there the entire time just hanging out. During down time we were talking and he said that there is only one company that he knows of for sure that manufactures all their components in house and after a round table of guessing, KAC was the one..
Link Posted: 12/26/2011 7:16:31 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

I bought my SR15 new in 2009. All I ran through it was 55gr PMC with zero problems. I had maybe 3000 to 4000 rounds through it.
Link Posted: 12/26/2011 7:17:06 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
This might be a good time to ask where I can find the best deals on the SR-15 E3?

Anybody, I need to find one too.
Link Posted: 12/26/2011 9:16:48 PM EDT
[#42]
+ Knight
Link Posted: 12/29/2011 4:35:19 PM EDT
[#43]
Save a few bucks and get the DD. I Love mine. I put the extra money in an ACOG and it's a great match. Why spend more when you are not gaining more!?
Link Posted: 12/29/2011 5:20:31 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
You've already got "the best".

Last I checked Knights receivers were made by LMT, and Colt & Noveske forgings were made by CMT (Stag).

There are only a couple companies that actually manufacture all the AR parts on the market (it's all re-branded and re-sold).

In the end it's your money so have fun and enjoy whatever you buy!

You have no idea what you are talking about. Please stop.
Link Posted: 12/29/2011 5:29:46 PM EDT
[#45]
I have a FDE SR15.

Its nice. But I dont know if its $2100 nice.

$400ish rail system, $200ish match trigger, $200 stock, and $150 BUIS do make it a good value.

The ambidextrous dont matter much to me; I am a lefty but even my meager training with a US Govt issued weapon over 17 years makes them feel retarded.

The proprietary "enhanced" bolt can be seen as an improvement but never had a standard  bolt break either.....

Personally, I would build a gun from quality parts instead.

Link Posted: 12/29/2011 5:39:08 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

The proprietary "enhanced" bolt can be seen as an improvement but never had a standard  bolt break either.....

Ive broken standard bolts at both the points they improved, cam pin and lugs.

Link Posted: 12/29/2011 9:40:56 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ive broken bolts at both the points they improved, cam pin and lugs.

http://img408.imageshack.us/img408/1309/knightswinsflawlessvict.jpg

I have heard of it happening on the Military side, with M4A1s that are shot allot... But never on a civy gun, and never in the few Mil guns I have been issued...

Link Posted: 12/29/2011 9:48:08 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Quoted:

both those looks like standard DI bolts
Link Posted: 12/29/2011 10:58:08 PM EDT
[#49]
Do not but a SR15!.....More for me..........
Link Posted: 12/30/2011 2:16:18 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

both those looks like standard DI bolts

Look closer. round lugs..
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top