Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/29/2011 3:23:24 PM EDT
i have a ddm4 upper mounted on a stag lower, i find a little play between the upper and lower, how do i fix that?
i bought a accu wedge a while ago just in case, will that help?
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 3:36:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Isn't it normal to have some play?
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 3:38:43 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Isn't it normal to have some play?

Yep, not a problem.

Link Posted: 4/29/2011 4:30:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Normal, tolerances.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 4:52:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Normal, tolerances.

ok...i leave it alone...thanks

will it affect the accuracy?
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 4:53:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Won't effect accuracy
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 5:05:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Normal, tolerances.

nope
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 5:40:02 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

i have a ddm4 upper mounted on a stag lower, i find a little play between the upper and lower, how do i fix that?

i bought a accu wedge a while ago just in case, will that help?

Yes, that is what the accu wedge is for

Link Posted: 4/29/2011 5:44:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Some people use an accuwedge to tighten up the fit.  I wouldn't bother; as posted above, it's completely normal.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 8:35:09 PM EDT
[#9]
i like my receiver wiggle.

almost as much as i like my sproing
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 11:45:55 PM EDT
[#10]
The accuwedge is a neat piece of pretty much useless feel good crap that made the inventor a bunch of money. I bought one too when I first started shooting AR's but they are totally un-needed. USGI spec for play is .020. If you can slide a .020 feeler gauge between the ears of the receiver and the lug of the upper it is considered too loose. I doubt you will find many factory built AR's that loose and if you did I'd consider replacing the upper rather than spending money on gizmos.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 6:45:41 AM EDT
[#11]
Its normal,Dont wedge it..waist of money,wont affect accuracy.Its a service weapon a little play is good.Easy to strip with no tools is a good thing.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 6:50:02 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Normal, tolerances.

No, your barrel and sights are all attached to the upper.
As long as the barrel is properly installed and your sights are tight accuracy will not be affected.
All the lower does is hold the fire control where it can fire the round in the chamber.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 9:25:05 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Normal, tolerances.

nope

I have a Daewoo K-2 and it had some wiggle I put a 0-ring that some one here suggested and my groups tightened up a lot and that's with the same ammo I have been shooting
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 10:06:22 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Normal, tolerances.

nope

I have a Daewoo K-2 and it had some wiggle I put a 0-ring that some one here suggested and my groups tightened up a lot and that's with the same ammo I have been shooting

I believe were talking about AR-15's here.
I have about the same wiggle in my old Colt SP1 as my BCM middie no gizmoes in either.

Link Posted: 5/1/2011 11:56:38 AM EDT
[#15]
will it cause lower crack under heavy fire?
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 12:45:04 PM EDT
[#16]
Slop between the upper & lower affects nothing. There's nothing more to it. I thought that this has been made abundantly clear?
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 2:46:44 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
will it cause lower crack under heavy fire?

No.   The same loose fit on 458 Socom or Beowolf uppers doesn't cause cracking, and they recoil much more than 556.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 2:52:43 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
The accuwedge is a neat piece of pretty much useless feel good crap that made the inventor a bunch of money. I bought one too when I first started shooting AR's but they are totally un-needed. USGI spec for play is .020. If you can slide a .020 feeler gauge between the ears of the receiver and the lug of the upper it is considered too loose. I doubt you will find many factory built AR's that loose and if you did I'd consider replacing the upper rather than spending money on gizmos.

I wouldn't call it useless but it isn't something that is needed. If the wiggle bothers someone it is a cheap fix(as is the o ring trick). A bunch of lowers now have set screws to help with this as well.

OP it is normal and yes an accuwedge should help. The wiggle doesn't effect accuracy.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 3:07:49 PM EDT
[#19]
It bothers me so I got a little black rubber O-ring 1/2" ID and smaller than 3/32 thickness and it seems to do the trick.  3/32 is just large enough that when it flattens out it will disrupt mags from dropping free.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 3:42:58 PM EDT
[#20]
I think for most applications, the wiggle between the upper and lower is inconsequential for accuracy.  However, if you are doing precision shooting with your AR and holding your rifle on a bench the via traditional method i.e. right hand on the grip and around the trigger and left hand under the right arm with your left hand gripping the end of the stock, you are going to lose some accuracy.  This is because if you are trying to steady the gun using your left hand on the stock and the stock wiggles, then you can see why it may be more difficult controlling your barrel and thus accuracy.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 4:29:52 PM EDT
[#21]
dupe
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top