Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/31/2010 3:08:32 PM EDT
I've this mil spec height detachable carry handle with the forged mark on the handle to the right of the sight assembly, and I don't know who the manufacturer is.  Can someone here please identify it for me?  Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 10/31/2010 3:25:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Cardinal Forge mark
Rock River, Stag, and some Colts use Cardinal Forge carry handles
Link Posted: 10/31/2010 3:34:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Yeah it's Cardinal Forge. Otherwise you can't tell whether it came off a Colt or FN, etc.
Link Posted: 10/31/2010 3:41:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Great, thanks!  The guy I bought it from said it came off a Colt so it's true.  He thought it was strange that it doesn't have the letter "C" on the handle but instead it's just a forge mark.  He didn't know and neither did I.  Learn something new everyday!!!
Link Posted: 10/31/2010 3:44:07 PM EDT
[#4]
The carry handle on my Colt LE 6920 was a simple square in the very same place.  Aynone know who forged that one?
Link Posted: 10/31/2010 4:09:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
The carry handle on my Colt LE 6920 was a simple square in the very same place.  Aynone know who forged that one?

The Colt and BCM I have are with this same simple square.

The Splinter A and Cardinal forged like the OP I have seen have been Comercial height.
They would not work with a F front post without making the front sight very low or setting the rear up from bottom.
Link Posted: 10/31/2010 4:10:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

BAFE

Link Posted: 10/31/2010 4:11:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I would like to know that one as well!  I bought one from BCM and it does have the same simple square forge mark.

Link Posted: 10/31/2010 4:19:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I would like to know that one as well!  I bought one from BCM and it does have the same simple square forge mark.

??
BAFE http://www.baforging.com/pages/aluminum.htm
Link Posted: 10/31/2010 4:26:39 PM EDT
[#9]

Link Posted: 10/31/2010 4:48:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Not seeing what you are trying to point out.
Link Posted: 10/31/2010 4:52:07 PM EDT
[#11]

––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––

A (splintered) = Anchor Harvey Aluminum
AF = Alcoa Forge
C AF = Colt Alco Forge
C MB = Colt / Mueller Brass
Cardinal (stylized) = Cardinal Forge
CH = Colt Harvey Aluminum
Circle/Crosshairs w/"AR" = ArmaLite
CK = Colt / Kaiser Aluminum
CM = Colt / Martin Marietta
D (stylized) = Diemaco
DK = Diemaco / Kaiser Aluminum
E = Emco
EK = EMCO/Kaiser
E MB = EMCO/Mueller Brass
F keyhole = FNMI / Cerro Forge
FA = FNMI / Anchor Harvey
FK = FNMI / Kaiser Aluminum
FM = FN/Martin Marietta
FMB = FNMI / Mueller Brass
Keyhole = Cerro Forge
L = Lewis Machine & Tool
LK = LAR / Kaiser Aluminum
LM = LAR / Martin Marietta
M (under diamond) = Mueller Industries
PA = Capco / Anchor Harvey
PM = Capco / Martin Marietta

[] (square) = Brass Aluminum Forging Enterprises

Colt and other MFGs have distributed [] marked carry handles in the past
Link Posted: 10/31/2010 5:06:28 PM EDT
[#12]
From what I found out, Colt puts a C following the forge mark.
You have to measure from the bottom to the rear shelf that the sight sits on to be sure if it's commercial or not.
I think I remember commercial is .795
Mil Spec is .835
Link Posted: 10/31/2010 5:38:06 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Not seeing what you are trying to point out.
The reply just above his had completely ignored HIS reply that answered the question: the square forge mark is from BAFE or Brass Aluminum Forging Enterprises in Ferndale, MI.

Link Posted: 10/31/2010 5:49:19 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
From what I found out, Colt puts a C following the forge mark.
You have to measure from the bottom to the rear shelf that the sight sits on to be sure if it's commercial or not.
I think I remember commercial is .795"
Mil Spec is .835"

Fixed it

Link Posted: 10/31/2010 5:59:46 PM EDT
[#15]
Thanks, I was afraid I got it wrong.
Fixed it.
Link Posted: 10/31/2010 6:59:49 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

As soon as I read the OP's question I reached over and looked at the handle on the desk I got from BCM, it's got a square.

Link Posted: 11/1/2010 11:21:54 AM EDT
[#17]
I saw an upper this morning with the F & Keyhole thing going, but it also had a series of raised dots (roughly) arranged in a square after the Keyhole.
Link Posted: 11/1/2010 3:18:27 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

??
BAFE http://www.baforging.com/pages/aluminum.htm

Thank you!  

Link Posted: 11/1/2010 4:41:49 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I saw an upper this morning with the F & Keyhole thing going, but it also had a series of raised dots (roughly) arranged in a square after the Keyhole.

That's FN-Cerro.  But the raised dots are almost certainly just an identifier for which dies struck the blank.
Link Posted: 11/1/2010 4:47:42 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The carry handle on my Colt LE 6920 was a simple square in the very same place. Aynone know who forged that one?

I would like to know that one as well! I bought one from BCM and it does have the same simple square forge mark.

As soon as I read the OP's question I reached over and looked at the handle on the desk I got from BCM, it's got a square.

My Colt 6700 has the square forge mark.
Link Posted: 11/2/2010 7:40:37 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I've this mil spec height detachable carry handle with the forged mark on the handle to the right of the sight assembly, and I don't know who the manufacturer is.  Can someone here please identify it for me?  Thanks in advance.
http://i884.photobucket.com/albums/ac47/U5512/AR15/Picture1193.jpg

It was forged by Cardinal Forge, but that's all it tells you. The forge mark doesn't denote who machined & finished the carry handle to the final product. Unless there is a C or an F in addition to the forge mark you can keep guessing as to who finished the piece.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top