Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/16/2010 9:22:55 PM EDT
I imagine there aren't many differences between stripped lowers, but I want to make sure I don't buy a lemon.

Also, I don't know of many features on stripped lowers other than "Low Shelf for RDIAS/Accuwedge installation", but, is there anything else I should look to include?

If there really aren't any that are higher quality than others, then I suppose I'm looking for what is more popular.
Link Posted: 10/16/2010 10:00:23 PM EDT
[#1]
I would be willing to bet alot of companies will let an out of spec lower slip past QC. At this point in the game name brand alone isn't a 100% gaurantee you will get a perfect specimen.
Link Posted: 10/16/2010 10:11:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/16/2010 10:17:02 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

I imagine there aren't many differences between stripped lowers, but I want to make sure I don't buy a lemon.

Also, I don't know of many features on stripped lowers other than "Low Shelf for RDIAS/Accuwedge installation", but, is there anything else I should look to include?

If there really aren't any that are higher quality than others, then I suppose I'm looking for what is more popular.

Well, there are, but its small details.  I own five different brands of lowers (all originally bought stripped and I've built with various brands of LPK's), and they've all been minutely different from one another, mostly cosmetic, but some are annoying.

Here's my take:

Bushmaster, circa 1998-2003: good/great quality.  takes oil well, good consistent black finish.  no complaints; mates well with 3 different brands of uppers I've owned.

RRA: good/great barnd, same qualities as Bushmaster; but with some USGI mags, the magwell is distinctly tighter - you have to line upthe mag just right before it slips right in.

LAR - good/decent, no real complaints.  finish is good, among hte cheapest priced ones out there so can't complain ($85 ea lower).  Cool rollmarks on them.

Delton - same as LAR.  can't complain, got them for $75ea lower.

AERO Precision - by far the best lower for the price (from surplusammo.com), but that's b/c I really like the finish and the way they look.

Best suggestion is to shop around, buy 1-3 different brands - the 3 best ones you like (for whatever reasons you like them).  Then try them out.  Eventually you will go one of two ways...

Camp 1) Guys who think a lower is a lower is a lower.

Camp 2) Guys who think their XYZ-Brand Tacticool Lower is by far the baddest ass lower MUST-HAVE in your arsenal and paying $180 for it stripped is reasonable.

Camp 3) Guys who were in Camp 2, but realized that for the working everyman, Camp 1 was right.

Depends which camp you belong in.  For me, after running the rounds with multiple brands, its just a lower to me so price given all other things equal is what matters to me...I've been in Camp 1 ever since.
Link Posted: 10/16/2010 11:45:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the replies, guys.

Going to go with that Spikes lower... hopefully nothing is quirky about it.
Link Posted: 10/17/2010 1:18:45 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Thanks for the replies, guys.

Going to go with that Spikes lower... hopefully nothing is quirky about it.

Spikes has a great feedback rating from the users here.  I don't think you will be dissapointed.  That is what I have too, and I have no complaints.  Fit & finish is nice, and matches my BM upper nicely.
Link Posted: 10/17/2010 4:36:18 AM EDT
[#7]
I have 2 Spikes lowers and there work flawlessly and both have the Eagle Globe and Anchor laser etched on the right side of the magwell  (Kiaser  forging) you should be very happy and if by some VERY small chance you get a lower that tolerance stacked or otherwise is not quite right, Tom and Spike will absolutely make it right.

The true question should be Who makes a BAD/out of spec/ poorly constructed lower because THAT is a pretty small group. but one that should be avoided at all cost.
Link Posted: 10/17/2010 4:41:47 AM EDT
[#8]
Spikes lowers are good. Buy the Multi caliber marked lower you wont regret it.
Link Posted: 10/17/2010 4:42:25 AM EDT
[#9]
What is an Accuwedge for?
Link Posted: 10/17/2010 4:56:55 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
What is an Accuwedge for?

To take out the loose motion between the upper and lower at the rear pin. It doesn't really do much as far as accuracy but does stop the rattle.
Link Posted: 10/17/2010 6:36:49 AM EDT
[#11]
MEGA gets my money these days.

Link Posted: 10/17/2010 7:52:42 AM EDT
[#12]
I have 2 spikes lowers. Great product. You can order directly from spikes for 99.00 or Brownells fro 89.00.

Mike
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top