Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/18/2009 6:52:13 AM EDT
Anybody have any experience with their barrels?  Just picked one up for a pretty good price, mid length with a 1/8 twist.  I debated for months about getting this barrel or going with the bravo co 16" SS 410 barrel.  I got the Shaw barrel with bolt for 299 where I could have gotten the BCM barrel for 299 plus bolt.  I know they are two different animals but what do you guys think?
Link Posted: 12/18/2009 7:12:53 AM EDT
[#1]
They're like the Wal-Mart of barrels; you paid too much.
Link Posted: 12/18/2009 7:15:45 AM EDT
[#2]
I had one on a Model 1 sales upper, fired it a couple of times, was decent.  I'd much rather get the BCM for that price and little extra
Link Posted: 12/18/2009 7:16:45 AM EDT
[#3]
Ya, I agree...you paid too much. However, Shaw barrels are decent barrels.
Link Posted: 12/18/2009 7:49:27 AM EDT
[#4]
I bought a pre chambered Shaw barrel for a 223 bolt rifle.. After head spacing the first round of factory ammo extracted ok, but on examination the fired case looked like a triangle.. must have let their chamber reamer chatter ... I had to cut 1/2 inch of barrel off, cut new threads to be able to screw it into the reciever and rechamber it correctly... after around 1,000 rounds it will shoot cloverleafs all day long.. Would I buy another one?? I think there are better barrel makers out there that do it right.. I didnt call and bitch so i didnt send it back..I just fixed it myself.. But I will not be using anymore of their barrels for any of my builds.... FWEIW...   The fired rounds would have been a major pain to reload.. And rather then send it back, It would have taken more then 2 weeks, I corrected it..
Link Posted: 12/18/2009 8:00:50 AM EDT
[#5]
Why didn't you ask before you bought it?
Link Posted: 12/18/2009 8:12:58 AM EDT
[#6]
E.R Shaw has a great rep everywhere but here........They build some nice custom rifles on a savage action.
Link Posted: 12/18/2009 11:05:06 AM EDT
[#7]
Was it this barrel?

If so, then it is interesting that AR Performance decided to go with ER Shaw to manufacture the barrel.  I have a 6.8SPC and 7.62x39 bolt from them, and am impressed by their quality.

ETA: I'm not saying that ER Shaw barrels are bad, it's just that a lot of the cheaper ARs tend to have ER Shaw barrels; kudos to them if they can provide a quality component at a competitive price point.
Link Posted: 12/18/2009 3:20:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Got a 1/9 chrome-moly 20" on a M1S upper. I've shot 1" groups consistently with it. Nice enough I suppose.

Link Posted: 12/18/2009 3:31:28 PM EDT
[#9]
I've had two E.R. Shaw barrels and they have both been good, accurate barrels. For $299 with the bolt, or about $235 for the barrel alone, you did fine.
Link Posted: 12/18/2009 3:45:20 PM EDT
[#10]
My first 16" Recce barrel was an ER Shaw and it was an absolute tack driver...
Link Posted: 12/18/2009 3:48:29 PM EDT
[#11]
E.R. Shaw is an average barrel maker that has the capability of offering lands and groove options that the now defunct Kotonics/Cardinal Armory and others have found can work well to reduce pressure in the 6.8SPC cartridge. Short narrow lands and wide grooves best describes this feature. Less engraving on the bullet, therefore lower pressures. I will not knowingly purchase one of their barrels, out of prejudice I suppose. I own three of them right now. The first was a Kotonics 6.8SPC which I knew was a E.R. Shaw when I bought it and the other two are Alexander Arms 6.5 Grendels which I found out about after the fact. To my surprise all three shoot just fine and I'm a picky SOB.

I refuse to spend money building any rifle only to put an average quality barrel on it. This is just my SOP, buy a good tube and cry just once. It seems like any effort and expense put into something is worth spending the little bit extra to get it right. Despite my apprehensions all has worked out well. Would I choose E.R. Shaw again? No........I'm prejudiced. Perhaps a Bartlein, Broughton. Schneider, Kreiger, Hart, Shilen, Douglas, Obermeyer anything but E.R. Shaw. I'm sorry, I meant Adams & Bennett.

Link Posted: 12/18/2009 4:46:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 12/18/2009 5:29:47 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
E.R Shaw has a great rep everywhere but here........They build some nice custom rifles on a savage action.

Your right I have one and it shoots fine, but once again unless you buy the parts that everyone else on this website buys you pretty much threw your money away or if you don't pay a high dollar amount the part is junk.  People fail to realize that the majority of the rifles built by people on this website are just plinkers which aren't going to be used to shoot a sandflys wings off at 600 yards, most are used within 200 yards.  I have read about ER barrels on other forums and the general consensus is that the barrels shoot fine, as AR performance stated there are only a few barrel makers in this country.
Link Posted: 12/18/2009 5:36:46 PM EDT
[#14]
What he said.
Nothing wrong with Shaw for the most of us.  Most can't shoot to a barrels level of accuracy and want to find someone or some thing to blame.  For our lack of ability.  
Link Posted: 12/18/2009 5:48:48 PM EDT
[#15]
I have one on a VZ24 bolt rifle in .338-06.   It shoots very well, they are a mid level barrel, just a step above a factory rifle barrel.
Link Posted: 12/18/2009 6:17:06 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 12/18/2009 6:46:35 PM EDT
[#17]
Well, at least you have an opinion.  Right or wrong at least you have one.
Yours may or not meet others.  
Link Posted: 12/18/2009 6:56:45 PM EDT
[#18]
Barrel threads always get the blood flowing.

Truth be told, the subject is loaded up with mystic voodoo BS and bias. Any realistic evaluation of accuracy, durability or reliability is going to require a budget the size of a small country... Pointing out that Uncle Sugar has done all that and made value based decisions makes you no friends.––Plus brings the inevitable questions about what exactly tax dollars get spent on.

Just to draw a corollary:
There was an engineer that did an honest evaluation of forend rail rigidity. The guy must have spent $10,000 on instrumenting rails with strain gauges. He collected a whole bunch of data that showed things nobody wanted said... Then he had the outrageous balls to post it on arfcom. I think the thread lasted maybe 12 hours before it got shitcanned. I'm pretty sure he got banned and several vendors made legal threats.

The "rail shitstorm" always stands forthright in my mind whenever I get the urge to crawl up on a soapbox.

I think I'll stick to kicking the anthill as a hobby though. I bought a 5 megapixel bore inspection scope off ebay for $250 the other day. I've been eyeing up a Precisionaire column and a high speed video camera.

I bet you I could spend a couple weeks hard work and generate a thread that would get me banned and sued in like 30 minutes flat.

Link Posted: 12/18/2009 7:30:02 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 12/18/2009 8:05:42 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
E.R. Shaw is an average barrel maker that has the capability of offering lands and groove options that the now defunct Kotonics/Cardinal Armory and others have found can work well to reduce pressure in the 6.8SPC cartridge. Short narrow lands and wide grooves best describes this feature. Less engraving on the bullet, therefore lower pressures. I will not knowingly purchase one of their barrels, out of prejudice I suppose. I own three of them right now. The first was a Kotonics 6.8SPC which I knew was a E.R. Shaw when I bought it and the other two are Alexander Arms 6.5 Grendels which I found out about after the fact. To my surprise all three shoot just fine and I'm a picky SOB.

I refuse to spend money building any rifle only to put an average quality barrel on it. This is just my SOP, buy a good tube and cry just once. It seems like any effort and expense put into something is worth spending the little bit extra to get it right. Despite my apprehensions all has worked out well. Would I choose E.R. Shaw again? No........I'm prejudiced. Perhaps a Bartlein, Broughton. Schneider, Kreiger, Hart, Shilen, Douglas, Obermeyer anything but E.R. Shaw. I'm sorry, I meant Adams & Bennett.

So all 3 specimens shot fine, but you wont buy them anymore. You are picky !
Link Posted: 12/18/2009 8:34:27 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Truth be told, the subject is loaded up with mystic voodoo BS and bias. Any realistic evaluation of accuracy, durability or reliability is going to require a budget the size of a small country... Pointing out that Uncle Sugar has done all that and made value based decisions makes you no friends.––Plus brings the inevitable questions about what exactly tax dollars get spent on.

There was an engineer that did an honest evaluation of forend rail rigidity. The guy must have spent $10,000 on instrumenting rails with strain gauges. He collected a whole bunch of data that showed things nobody wanted said... Then he had the outrageous balls to post it on arfcom. I think the thread lasted maybe 12 hours before it got shitcanned. I'm pretty sure he got banned and several vendors made legal threats.

The "rail shitstorm" always stands forthright in my mind whenever I get the urge to crawl up on a soapbox.

I think I'll stick to kicking the anthill as a hobby though. I bought a 5 megapixel bore inspection scope off ebay for $250 the other day. I've been eyeing up a Precisionaire column and a high speed video camera.

I bet you I could spend a couple weeks hard work and generate a thread that would get me banned and sued in like 30 minutes flat.

So, what happened in the thread...
Link Posted: 12/18/2009 9:02:56 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:

So, what happened in the thread...

... Early 2002 it was fairly common to see people with optics mounted way out front. The rings would either "bridge the gap" or be entirely out on the rail.
When the topic of rail deflection got broached, there was a whole bunch of otherwise credible people that insisted it was "fine."

Common knowledge today: Back then, you would have thought armageddon was at hand.
Link Posted: 12/18/2009 9:18:38 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I thought it was just me.

So all 3 specimens shot fine, but you wont buy them anymore. You are picky !

Link Posted: 12/19/2009 8:09:34 PM EDT
[#24]
One thing to consider with stuff like this is who turned the blank...

ER Shaw doesn't drill gas ports or attach barrel extensions - at least not as of May 2009, when I talked to them about it.

So if you get an ER Shaw blank that was made into an AR-15 barrel by "Bubba Joe's Machine Shop, Bar and Grill" in Whitewright, TX, you may, or may not, be happy with the results.

But if you get an ER Shaw blank that was turned down and completed by someone who knows what they're doing, then you'll probably be very happy with the results.

I don't know of many people using ER Shaw barrels with suppressors, some companies that use their blanks are known to put out barrels with threads not concentric to the bore...
Link Posted: 12/19/2009 8:34:12 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
One thing to consider with stuff like this is who turned the blank...

ER Shaw doesn't drill gas ports or attach barrel extensions - at least not as of May 2009, when I talked to them about it.

So if you get an ER Shaw blank that was made into an AR-15 barrel by "Bubba Joe's Machine Shop, Bar and Grill" in Whitewright, TX, you may, or may not, be happy with the results.

But if you get an ER Shaw blank that was turned down and completed by someone who knows what they're doing, then you'll probably be very happy with the results.

I don't know of many people using ER Shaw barrels with suppressors, some companies that use their blanks are known to put out barrels with threads not concentric to the bore...

Try the Krusty Klam Kakes there, I hear they are delicious.

I had one E.R. Shaw pencil profile 16" barrel. With open sights/Tri Reflex and PMC ammo it shot 2MOA or better at 25 yards from a backpack. Here's the thread:
Clicky
Link Posted: 12/20/2009 6:44:19 AM EDT
[#26]
I have a 10.5" ER Shaw on my SBR.  Got it from LWRC for $95.  Shoots great, with or without the AAC suppressor.  Plenty accurate for a fighting rifle.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top