Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/29/2009 6:04:24 PM EDT
I have posted numerous questions about the smith&wesson M&P15 ($930). Up until tonight I have been sold on it and planned on buying it. But now after ive talked some police officers (one swat/ex-marine). I am starting to second guess my decision and am starting to think about a Colt 6920. I have seen one for msrp (about $1700), i can probably find some cheaper. My question is, why should i consider the colt over the s&w? will it really be worth the extra price? after all i keep reading that they are all pretty much the same with the difference being in the uppers.
Link Posted: 7/29/2009 6:05:52 PM EDT
[#1]
You can easily find Colts for around 1200
Link Posted: 7/29/2009 6:06:07 PM EDT
[#2]
They're available for about $1100 at the moment.
Link Posted: 7/29/2009 6:07:08 PM EDT
[#3]
not another comparison thead...

In all honesty, you're going to have to do research and come with a conclusion on your own.  One thing ive realized since ive been here is there is a lot of bias.  Both nice weapons.  My buddy had a s&w m&p, sold it a couple of months later and bought a colt 6940le and is in love with it.  After he sold it he found out there was a milling problem of some sort with the sw mp, which has since been corrected so ive heard.  The guy he sold it to sent it back to sw and corrected the problem....sw mp looks sweet as well.
Link Posted: 7/29/2009 6:08:10 PM EDT
[#4]
The Smith M&PT model is one of the best values around.
Link Posted: 7/29/2009 6:08:24 PM EDT
[#5]
BCM upper of your choice of your choice with a BCM BCG on a LMT Lower with Sopmod Stock and 2 stage trigger.
Link Posted: 7/29/2009 6:09:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

In all honesty, you're going to have to do research and come to a conclusion on your own.  One thing ive realized since ive been here is there is a lot of bias.  Both nice weapons.

hahah. sorry! yeah thats what everyone keeps telling me, "its what you like". but i dont know what i like and what to like?

Also i am considering purchasing a .22 conversion kit at some point...will it work well on a colt?
Link Posted: 7/29/2009 6:09:48 PM EDT
[#7]
That Colt is WAY too expensive. There are tons of them available right now for about $1100 online and it will save you money in taxes also. Both are very good choices. The

Colt has a little better quality and better resale value but you will undoubtedly enjoy either. It's up to you if the extra $150 is worth it. It would be to me but everyone is

different. The S&W is still a great gun.
Link Posted: 7/29/2009 6:10:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
The Smith M&PT model is one of the best values around.

its just the regular m&p15
Link Posted: 7/29/2009 6:10:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

In all honesty, you're going to have to do research and come to a conclusion on your own.  One thing ive realized since ive been here is there is a lot of bias.  Both nice weapons.

hahah. sorry! yeah thats what everyone keeps telling me, "its what you like". but i dont know what i like and what to like?

Also i am considering purchasing a .22 conversion kit at some point...will it work well on a colt?

I own a 6940 and the M&P-15 and you won't be disappointed in either rifle. Both are quality rifles. The conversion will work in any AR rifle.

Link Posted: 7/29/2009 6:11:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Each will serve You well get what You like the most. S&W makes a fine weapon as does Colt. My new entry Weapon is a S&W and has been 100% my old one was a Colt.
You can get into some of the spec issues wich will not make a bit of differance unless its full auto which you aint gonna have.
Link Posted: 7/29/2009 6:12:20 PM EDT
[#11]
if your going to buy a conversion kit, you might as well get the cheaper one since your changing out parts. imho
Link Posted: 7/29/2009 6:13:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
if your going to buy a conversion kit, you might as well get the cheaper one since your changing out parts. imho

well im going to be shooting .223 as well i just wanted to shoot for a little cheaper.
Link Posted: 7/29/2009 6:15:19 PM EDT
[#13]
If you are thinking about a conversion realize that the 1/7 twist on the Colt will not be very accurate. The S&W will be a little better but the proper twist for a .22 is 1/16 so neither is ideal. As long

as you realize that, it's not a big deal at all since you'll most likely just be plinking with it and not that concerned with accuracy.

Here is a great thread about .22 conversions and dedicated uppers: (page 3 has overall comparisons)

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=15&t=441890

Link Posted: 7/29/2009 6:16:10 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally i was leaning towards the 6920, until i seen the s&w. Then the 6940 came out and it was love at first sight.

Again S&W very nice.
Link Posted: 7/29/2009 6:27:47 PM EDT
[#15]
im going to try to see what kind of deal i can find on the colt around town, then make my decision. Ive been to a bunch of gunstores and the guys selling the M&P are hands down the nicest salespeople ive ever dealt with, its in a small police supply store.
Link Posted: 7/29/2009 7:23:00 PM EDT
[#16]
The lowest colt 6920 ive seen is $1100 shipped.
Link Posted: 7/29/2009 8:04:50 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
BCM upper of your choice of your choice with a BCM BCG on a LMT Lower with Sopmod Stock and 2 stage trigger.

This.
Link Posted: 7/29/2009 8:15:23 PM EDT
[#18]
I've had both. They both work. The fit and finish on the S&W was better then on the colt. No, I have not used them in combat. I've just shot them at the range. Both worked well. I would say stay with the S&W, and spend the extra money on mags and ammo.
Link Posted: 7/29/2009 9:19:27 PM EDT
[#19]
I own both S&W and a Colt ar15.  I honestly dont think the Colt is any better in quality.  With that being said, I would spend my money on the S&W and use the rest on mags and some ammo.
Link Posted: 7/29/2009 9:30:25 PM EDT
[#20]
I would by the DD AR15 available for $1000 before I bought the S&W. I thought the low end S&W rifles were not tier one. The Colt and DD are.  There are some higher end SW rifles that use better quality parts and are more MILSPEC.
Link Posted: 7/29/2009 9:49:31 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

I would by the DD AR15 available for $1000 before I bought the S&W. I thought the low end S&W rifles were not tier one. The Colt and DD are.  There are some higher end SW rifles that use better quality parts and are more MILSPEC.

Link Posted: 7/29/2009 9:52:52 PM EDT
[#22]
I have a S&W and I love it. You won't be disappointed in it.

If you're not planning on trying to run it into the ground, I highly doubt you'll notice a difference between the two.
Link Posted: 7/29/2009 10:00:25 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I have a S&W and I love it. You won't be disappointed in it.

If you're not planning on trying to run it into the ground, I highly doubt you'll notice a difference between the two.

I'm sure he can try to run it into the ground and not notice a difference between the two.   S&W makes a tough rifle.  

Link Posted: 7/29/2009 10:51:52 PM EDT
[#24]
no comparison

You will shoot the price difference worth of ammo in one range session.  Get the Colt.
Link Posted: 7/30/2009 7:17:07 AM EDT
[#25]
To the OP, frankly I would disregard anything coming from anyone who doesn't or hasn't owned both. Since I qualify in that regard I'll add my unbiased opinion. They are both rock-solid high quality carbines designed and built for hard and serious use. They both work as advertized and will continue to do so under extreme conditions. In short, either one is G2G. Lots of people have their "pet brand" and they sometimes get carried away in their bias, but in the end it all comes down to how well they run and how well they hold up, especially concerning reliability. Both the brands you mentioned and several others you didn't are known to fulfill that requirement, so just get the one that you want, run the crap out of it until you know it's bug-free and trustworthy (all of them can have unseen issues from the factory that only show up after you push 'em a little), and once you've proven to yourself that it will be there for you when the chips are down you won't need anyone else to tell you what's good and what's not. Again, just my opinion.
Link Posted: 7/30/2009 8:25:49 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
To the OP, frankly I would disregard anything coming from anyone who doesn't or hasn't owned both. Since I qualify in that regard I'll add my unbiased opinion. They are both rock-solid high quality carbines designed and built for hard and serious use. They both work as advertized and will continue to do so under extreme conditions. In short, either one is G2G. Lots of people have their "pet brand" and they sometimes get carried away in their bias, but in the end it all comes down to how well they run and how well they hold up, especially concerning reliability. Both the brands you mentioned and several others you didn't are known to fulfill that requirement, so just get the one that you want, run the crap out of it until you know it's bug-free and trustworthy (all of them can have unseen issues from the factory that only show up after you push 'em a little), and once you've proven to yourself that it will be there for you when the chips are down you won't need anyone else to tell you what's good and what's not. Again, just my opinion.

well put
Link Posted: 7/30/2009 9:09:52 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I have posted numerous questions about the smith&wesson M&P15 ($930). Up until tonight I have been sold on it and planned on buying it. But now after ive talked some police officers (one swat/ex-marine). I am starting to second guess my decision and am starting to think about a Colt 6920. I have seen one for msrp (about $1700), i can probably find some cheaper. My question is, why should i consider the colt over the s&w? will it really be worth the extra price? after all i keep reading that they are all pretty much the same with the difference being in the uppers.

The Colt features such as, 1/7 twist, chrome lined chamber & barrel, Nato chamber, MP tested barrel and Bolt, M4 feed ramps, FA carrier and a great resale value.  The Smith does not have most of these features but it all depends on your use of the weapon and how much do you want to spend.  I know you mentioned these two brands but take a look at the LMT which I would pick over the Smith but whats more important is the availability.

Link Posted: 7/30/2009 9:17:19 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:

The Colt features such as, 1/7 twist, chrome lined chamber & barrel, Nato chamber, MP tested barrel and Bolt, M4 feed ramps, FA carrier and a great resale value.  The Smith does not have has most of these features but it all depends on your use of the weapon and how much do you want to spend.  I know you mentioned these two brands but take a look at the LMT which I would pick over the Smith but whats more important is the availability.

Fixed it for you. Considering that Pat Rogers put S&W in his top 5 manufacturers, that's good enough for me. I have owned both and although I prefer the Colt, the S&W is a

great option, especially since the OP wants to use a .22 conversion kit at some point.
Link Posted: 7/30/2009 9:25:18 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I own both S&W and a Colt ar15.  I honestly dont think the Colt is any better in quality.  With that being said, I would spend my money on the S&W and use the rest on mags and some ammo.

this !
Link Posted: 7/30/2009 9:27:26 AM EDT
[#30]
CDNN just posted these prices on another web site

CMMG M4LE Carbine .223 with free blackhawk sling: $799
CMMG Wasp Heavy Bull Barrel .223 with free blackhawk sling: $899
BUSHMASTER M4A1 with 6 mags, knife, and accessory tool kit: $899
S&W M&P ORC .233 with 6 mags, knife, and accessory tool kit: $949
S&W M&P Detachable Handle .233 with 6 mags, knife, and accessory tool kit: $999
COLT M4 Carbine 6920 with 6 mags, knife, and accessory tool kit: $1199
COLT M4 Carbine 6940 with 6 mags, knife, and accessory tool kit: $1499

flat shipping fee of $20
Link Posted: 7/30/2009 11:35:59 AM EDT
[#31]
[/quote]

... Considering that Pat Rogers put S&W in his top 5 manufacturers....[/quote]

Oh no! I guess now they'll have to include S&W among the "Tier 1" guns. Say it ain't so!  

Meh. Tier Schmier as far as I'm concerned.  

Link Posted: 7/30/2009 11:40:20 AM EDT
[#32]
FWIW, I think the S&W is very high quality but I've seen some basic assembly errors such as the gas tube roll pin being put in before the gas tube, meaning the rifle didn't function at all. I've actually seen about a half a dozen issues relating to the gas tube with S&Ws. Can't explain why. Some moron assembler.

I would prefer the Colt at its current price or the S&W if the Colt was back up at $1800-2000. The Colt will also have better resale value. I sold a Colt lower for $850 a few months back. No way that is going to happen with an S&W.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top