Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 10
Posted: 7/20/2009 7:27:40 PM EDT
I picked up my Colt 6920 today and the receiver looks horrible. The selector notches are not oval but square. The one to the rear is barely visible and is square at one end and oval shaped at the other. Machining marks are heavily visible and very rough. This is probably the worst finished firearm I’ve ever seen.

I know these are milspec and not meant to be beautiful but this is bad.

Will Colt replace the receiver or is this acceptable by milspec standards?

Pic of my 6921 for comparison:

–––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––-–––––––-

UPDATE:

I received my replacement and it looks good. No grind marks. I’m taking her to the range to see how she runs.

I would like to thank Ray Tanner from Tanner’s sport center for the replacement. He sent me a PMAG for my trouble. I highly recommend purchasing a firearm from him.

The mag catch has the little circles. The circle in the middle has what looks to be a sideways 8. Maybe it’s a proof mark. Anybody have any ideas?

––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––-–––––––––––-
Link Posted: 7/20/2009 7:30:04 PM EDT
[#1]
That does look pretty crappy!
Link Posted: 7/20/2009 7:33:13 PM EDT
[#2]
That receiver is one of a kind.

Should bring a premium on the EE.
Link Posted: 7/20/2009 7:33:34 PM EDT
[#3]
I like Colt a lot, but that's pretty terrible. I certainly would be pissed about spending $1k+ on a gun and have it look like a bunch of retarded drunk monkeys make it. Looks aren't everything, but it's sure nice to have something that looks as good as it shoots.
Link Posted: 7/20/2009 7:37:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Yikes!

I know people don't like to believe it, but all the big makers let through QC problems.  

One question, why did you finish the transfer with it looking like this?
Link Posted: 7/20/2009 7:38:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Yeah, you can't polish that turd, looks like you'll be calling Colt in the AM
Link Posted: 7/20/2009 7:38:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Talk to the dealer where you got it, if they don't help, call Colt, they will fix it.
Link Posted: 7/20/2009 7:38:27 PM EDT
[#7]
It doesn't affect function therefor it went through Colt QC, it's not an issue.

If it bothers you that much send it back and they will replace it.
Link Posted: 7/20/2009 7:39:21 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm not an apologist or going to give you the "it's a tool" line, because it's certainly not what one usually sees.  Yeah, Colt grinds the stops flat on the semi-guns for some reason.  Yeah, yours look like they got ground flat before they ground out the oval shape all the way.  But come on, really, aside from having two little flat ovals you've got two little flat rectangles.  Does it really affect anything?  I suppose it's not a poster child for picture taking, but the anodizing looks fine (as opposed to what appears to be multiple vertical scratches on your 6921 upper...), and the stops would be ground down anyways.  Seriously, it's really not "horrible," just unique  
Link Posted: 7/20/2009 7:40:06 PM EDT
[#9]
The fuck kind of quality control is that?!?!??

And yes, finish DOES have something to do with quality control...before the fanboys flame me for "bashing" on Colt.

It looks like Colt is useng chisels and hand files to finish the machine work on their receivers now.  At least the one the original poster has anyway.
Link Posted: 7/20/2009 7:44:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
The fuck kind of quality control is that?!?!??

And yes, finish DOES have something to do with quality control...before the fanboys flame me for "bashing" on Colt.

It looks like Colt is useng chisels and hand files to finish the machine work on their receivers now.  At least the one the original poster has anyway.

This
Link Posted: 7/20/2009 7:47:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I'm not an apologist or going to give you the "it's a tool" line, because it's certainly not what one usually sees.  Yeah, Colt grinds the stops flat on the semi-guns for some reason.  Yeah, yours look like they got ground flat before they ground out the oval shape all the way.  But come on, really, aside from having two little flat ovals you've got two little flat rectangles.  Does it really affect anything?  I suppose it's not a poster child for picture taking, but the anodizing looks fine (as opposed to what appears to be multiple vertical scratches on your 6921 upper...), and the stops would be ground down anyways.  Seriously, it's really not "horrible," just unique  

Finish speaks volumes about QC. Presentation shows how much someone cares. All those scratches on the 6921 came from the factory. I’m done drinking the Kool-Aid if this isn’t made right for me ASAP. That’s ridiculous.
Link Posted: 7/20/2009 7:48:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Dude that is nasty. It would take alot of Kool Aide spiked with vodka to get me to accept that.

Seriously, thats bullshit. A man works and spends his hard earned money to buy a supposed top name gun
and is handed something that looked like it was foundered and hammered out in some third world country...
I tell you what, if that were a Rock River the sheep would be howling with laughter telling you you should have bought a Colt.
Colt's arrogance rears it's head again.
Link Posted: 7/20/2009 7:50:23 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 7/20/2009 7:50:24 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Dude that is nasty. It would take alot of Kool Aide spiked with vodka to get me to accept that.

Seriously, thats bullshit. A man works and spends his hard earned money to buy a supposed top name gun
and is handed something that looked like it was foundered and hammered out in some third world country...
I tell you what, if that were a Rock River the sheep would be howling with laughter telling you you should have bought a Colt.
Colt's arrogance raises it's head again.

Because we all know, fit and finish are what matter. Not silly things like HPT/MPI bolts and barrels, correct receiver extensions, etc.
Link Posted: 7/20/2009 7:53:31 PM EDT
[#15]
Not something I would accept from a top tier manufacturer.

I dont expect perfection but that is unacceptable.
Link Posted: 7/20/2009 7:54:02 PM EDT
[#16]
I would send it back.
Link Posted: 7/20/2009 7:57:11 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Because we all know, fit and finish are what matter. Not silly things like HPT/MPI bolts and barrels, correct receiver extensions, etc.

If they cant even mark and finish a lower decently how can you trust all of those were done correctly?
Link Posted: 7/20/2009 7:57:38 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Here you go OP, send it to this guy. It's a Colt.

Link Posted: 7/20/2009 7:58:17 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Yikes!

I know people don't like to believe it, but all the big makers let through QC problems.  

One question, why did you finish the transfer with it looking like this?

I didn’t open the box until I got home, which was the first time I’ve done it. I didn’t get to break the seal on my 6921 so I wanted to take full advantage of the whole Colt factory seal concept. That’s the last time I walk out of the store without checking the firearm first.
Link Posted: 7/20/2009 8:00:04 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I'm not an apologist or going to give you the "it's a tool" line, because it's certainly not what one usually sees.  Yeah, Colt grinds the stops flat on the semi-guns for some reason.  Yeah, yours look like they got ground flat before they ground out the oval shape all the way.  But come on, really, aside from having two little flat ovals you've got two little flat rectangles.  Does it really affect anything?  I suppose it's not a poster child for picture taking, but the anodizing looks fine (as opposed to what appears to be multiple vertical scratches on your 6921 upper...), and the stops would be ground down anyways.  Seriously, it's really not "horrible," just unique  [/quote

colt does not half to supply to the civilians no more,they make more than enuf money with the govt. an armoror in the serive would just put the rifle on the rack and issue it, unfortunatly theres not enuf butter bars inspecting these rifles when they com into the amory, so colt does not feel it needs to uphold the finish spec, or flag note, so thats there reason for this, colt doesnt care about quality like the more sucsessful smaller companys that catter to our obsesions,
Link Posted: 7/20/2009 8:00:22 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If they cant even mark and finish a lower decently how can you trust all of those were done correctly?

The other stuff is done correctly.  I really wouldn't look at from that light because every aspect of a Colt that has to do with function is done right.  They are not well known for "pretty" guns though.

This one looks pretty shitty.  Nothing that's going to impact performance but I'm sure Colt will replace it if you are not happy.
Link Posted: 7/20/2009 8:00:44 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Finish speaks volumes about QC. Presentation shows how much someone cares. All those scratches on the 6921 came from the factory. I’m done drinking the Kool-Aid if this isn’t made right for me ASAP. That’s ridiculous.

I think you, and the mob, are getting all worked up over something very minor, and I'm a nitanoid obsessive compulsive about some things.  The anodizing appears fine and that's what I'd be more worried about "fit and finish" wise.  Yeah, OK, the selector stops aren't perfect little ovals.  So what?  What does "OVAL SELECTOR STOPS" have to do with the QC process?  I'm sure that gun will be more likely to function properly than most of the alternatives you could buy instead.  

Besides, maybe Colt has changed the pattern on how they grind them down and you're just one fo the first to get the squared looking ones.  How does this affect anything except your ability to gaze longingly at it over dinner or take and post perfect pictures on the web?
Link Posted: 7/20/2009 8:00:46 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1
Link Posted: 7/20/2009 8:01:00 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thats the real issue right there. If fit and finish are not the important issue, then it shouldnt be too hard to get it right.

Everyone screws up, lets see how they deal with it.

Link Posted: 7/20/2009 8:01:16 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Here you go OP, send it to this guy. It's a Colt.

*sigh*

It's always easy to out the tactical posers with their safe queens.
Link Posted: 7/20/2009 8:03:36 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1

Because that is what they worry about, not about making the prettiest receivers for people to post from their mother's basement.
Link Posted: 7/20/2009 8:04:03 PM EDT
[#27]
That isn't bad...I have one way worse than that where the grinding marks went down into the surface.  

Runs like a top and once you Krylon it a couple of times, it doesn't matter in the least.

If you just bought the gun to look at...you are really going with the wrong company.  Buy an RRA for looks.  Buy a Colt to shoot.
Link Posted: 7/20/2009 8:04:08 PM EDT
[#28]
I can understand flash but that is horrible. As someone said it might fetch a price on the EE.
Well the Bushmaster fan club is going to sleep well tonight. I wonder how refreshed I will feel tomorrow.
Link Posted: 7/20/2009 8:06:40 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm not an apologist or going to give you the "it's a tool" line, because it's certainly not what one usually sees.  Yeah, Colt grinds the stops flat on the semi-guns for some reason.  Yeah, yours look like they got ground flat before they ground out the oval shape all the way.  But come on, really, aside from having two little flat ovals you've got two little flat rectangles.  Does it really affect anything?  I suppose it's not a poster child for picture taking, but the anodizing looks fine (as opposed to what appears to be multiple vertical scratches on your 6921 upper...), and the stops would be ground down anyways.  Seriously, it's really not "horrible," just unique  [/quote

colt does not half to supply to the civilians no more,they make more than enuf money with the govt. an armoror in the serive would just put the rifle on the rack and issue it, unfortunatly theres not enuf butter bars inspecting these rifles when they com into the amory, so colt does not feel it needs to uphold the finish spec, or flag note, so thats there reason for this, colt doesnt care about quality like the more sucsessful smaller companys that catter to our obsesions,

It may be worth the $24 a year to use the spell check feature

Those smaller companies cater to those who are more concerned with how a rifle looks when they show it off to their friends or post pics on the Internet.  Those companies know the average person will handle a few rifles in a shop and pick one based on the best fit and finish.  Colt makes it's guns for serious users.  People who will probably end up scratching the finish off anyways.  I'd rather buy guns that ARE the part instead of just looking the part.

Link Posted: 7/20/2009 8:08:48 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Those smaller companies cater to those who are more concerned with how a rifle looks when they show it off to their friends or post pics on the Internet.  Those companies know the average person will handle a few rifles in a shop and pick one based on the best fit and finish.  Colt makes it's guns for serious users.  People who will probably end up scratching the finish off anyways.  I'd rather buy guns that ARE the part instead of just looking the part.

Indeed.
Link Posted: 7/20/2009 8:10:03 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1

Because that is what they worry about, not about making the prettiest receivers for people to post from their mother's basement.

So would a good analogy be like taking your racecar to the race with pre crashed fenders. Since it is what is inside that counts?
Link Posted: 7/20/2009 8:12:45 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1

So would a good analogy be like taking your racecar to the race with pre crashed fenders. Since it is what is inside that counts?

No a good analogy would be not trying to come up with analogies because they will all be apples to oranges.  It is what it is, no analogies needed.  If you don't like Colt then don't buy one.  Simple as that.
Link Posted: 7/20/2009 8:14:58 PM EDT
[#33]
Every AR I own save one [that has a DPMS lower and a NOS Colt M16 upper wi/22 conv.] is a Colt. None look like that. I wouldn't be happy with it myself.
Link Posted: 7/20/2009 8:15:14 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

i would rather save my 24 dallars, you understood me and thats all that matters. and as for as the part, somone already said it mr spelling bee winner, if they cant get a visaul spec right, whos to say they are getting the machine dam. correct, - jeff white<cant spell>

Link Posted: 7/20/2009 8:16:18 PM EDT
[#35]
MADE IN CHINA.
Link Posted: 7/20/2009 8:17:37 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
MADE IN CHINA.

Link Posted: 7/20/2009 8:18:39 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think you, and the mob, are getting all worked up over something very minor, and I'm a nitanoid obsessive compulsive about some things.  The anodizing appears fine and that's what I'd be more worried about "fit and finish" wise.  Yeah, OK, the selector stops aren't perfect little ovals.  So what?  What does "OVAL SELECTOR STOPS" have to do with the QC process?  I'm sure that gun will be more likely to function properly than most of the alternatives you could buy instead.  

Besides, maybe Colt has changed the pattern on how they grind them down and you're just one fo the first to get the squared looking ones.  How does this affect anything except your ability to gaze longingly at it over dinner or take and post perfect pictures on the web?

Would you buy a car for full price if it had very noticeable blems? Hey, it runs good…

It’s not just the "OVAL SELECTOR STOPS" but that whole area. Compare the 6920 and 6921. The 6920 is rough. Look by the front pin under “Colt Defense”. The machining mark runs from the top of the receiver all the way done and all the way back. It looks like they ground that whole area.

Link Posted: 7/20/2009 8:19:06 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

i would rather save my 24 dallars, you understood me and thats all that matters. and as for as the part, somone already said it mr spelling bee winner, if they cant get a visaul spec right, whos to say they are getting the machine dam. correct, - jeff white<cant spell>

What "visual spec"?????  I've never heard of a "visual spec:"  As far as getting everything else right, Colt does.  Period.  Very few others do, even if they "look the part."
Link Posted: 7/20/2009 8:21:16 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Would you buy a car for full price if it had very noticeable blems? Hey, it runs good…

It’s not just the "OVAL SELECTOR STOPS" but that whole area. Compare the 6920 and 6921. The 6920 is rough. Look by the front pin under “Colt Defense”. The machining mark runs from the top of the receiver all the way done and all the way back. It looks like they ground that whole area.

Depends, am I buying said car to make up for genitals and impress my friends and women or am I buying a car that I can take anywhere, under any circumstances? Because I have to tell you, my '07 Jeep Wrangler came with a nice scratch on the fender. I have added a couple more "character marks" (not dents through) going places I probably should not have.
Link Posted: 7/20/2009 8:22:09 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What "visual spec"?????  I've never heard of a "visual spec:"  As far as getting everything else right, Colt does.  Period.  Very few others do, even if they "look the part."

i work in govt manu. ind. there is a visaul spec listed on the print, the matte finish is a visaul spec for example
Link Posted: 7/20/2009 8:24:42 PM EDT
[#41]
Name calling removed

They fucked up, plain and simple. I have owned around 10 various Colt AR's over the years, Ive never had one finished that shitty. Look at the OP's other receiver. Thats the problem more than anything....a lack of consistency. Dont tell me you can get it right on one and not the other. Dont ask me to pay top dollar for a tier 1 rifle that looks like a 10th grader finished it in shop class.

If they cant get something as obvious and simple as cosmetic appearance right....what else that you cant see is slipping through the cracks?

Can you look at a bolt and tell its MPI tested?

Link Posted: 7/20/2009 8:24:51 PM EDT
[#42]
Can someone please post a copy of "the spec" and the "QC checklist" so I can see how this one has failed?  Seriously.  I want to see the line item that says "non-mil-spec-flat-ground selector stops cut oval shaped ___."  Or, "depth of tool markings do not exceed .1 micron ___."      It's not like the anodizing is broken by any of the very minor tool marks or the receiver or it has deep pitting through the anodizing or something like that.  I just think you've gotten yourself in a tizzy over something very minor and inconsequential.
Link Posted: 7/20/2009 8:25:09 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Quoted:
MADE IN CHINA.

You know..the lowest bidder. Alot of vehicles that are stamped made in the U.S.A. isn't really made here. Forged metal parts can be made in another country but finished here and get stamped "Made in U.S.A.". It's the new world order.
Link Posted: 7/20/2009 8:26:24 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
What a bunch of douchebag colt suckers.

They fucked up, plain and simple. I have owned around 10 various Colt AR's over the years, Ive never had one finished that shitty. Look at the OP's other receiver. Thats the problem more than anything....a lack of consistency. Dont tell me you can get it right on one and not the other. Dont ask me to pay top dollar for a tier 1 rifle that looks like a 10th grader finished it in shop class.

If they cant get something as obvious and simple as cosmetic appearance right....what else that you cant see is slipping through the cracks?

Can you look at a bolt and tell its MPI tested?

OK, which part of fit and finish issues that do not affect function are non-issues to Colt didn't you understand?
Link Posted: 7/20/2009 8:27:29 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
MADE IN CHINA.

You know..the lowest bidder. Alot of vehicles that are stamped made in the U.S.A. isn't really made here. Forged metal parts can be made in another country but finished here and get stamped "Made in U.S.A.". It's the new world order.

Except they are made in Hartford, CT not China.

Seriously, don't fucking troll the tech forums. That's what GD is for.
Link Posted: 7/20/2009 8:27:47 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1

I’m a full grown man. I work hard for my money and I don’t want to throw it away. Colt will keep me as a customer if they take care of this in a timely fashion. I posted pics so my fellow brethren can know what’s happening because that’s one of the many reasons where here.

Your fan-boyishness is showing.

Link Posted: 7/20/2009 8:28:47 PM EDT
[#47]
And just to put things in perspective, those vertical scratches on the upper of you 6921 would drive me.  That, I think, looks much worse that the goofy square selector stops and the rough finish on your 6920 lower.  At least the anodizing on the 6920 lower doesn't appear broken like it does on the upper.
Link Posted: 7/20/2009 8:32:48 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Can someone please post a copy of "the spec" and the "QC checklist" so I can see how this one has failed?  Seriously.  I want to see the line item that says "non-mil-spec-flat-ground selector stops cut oval shaped ___."  Or, "depth of tool markings do not exceed .1 micron ___."      It's not like the anodizing is broken by any of the very minor tool marks or the receiver or it has deep pitting through the anodizing or something like that.  I just think you've gotten yourself in a tizzy over something very minor and inconsequential.

It’s consequential because my resale value is not the same.
Link Posted: 7/20/2009 8:33:20 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

I’m a full grown man. I work hard for my money and I don’t want to throw it away.

Check, we all feel that way.  But, I just don't see where you've thrown any money away?  B/c the stops are not oval and there's some grind marks from before it was finished?  If you bought it, like a nice new car to use someone elses analogy, to show off everytime you take it out or you're planning on giving Stickman a run for his money, I guess i can understand why you're so disapointed.  It isn't perfect.
Link Posted: 7/20/2009 8:33:32 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1

I’m a full grown man. I work hard for my money and I don’t want to throw it away. Colt will keep me as a customer if they take care of this in a timely fashion. I posted pics so my fellow brethren can know what’s happening because that’s one of the many reasons where here.

Your fan-boyishness is showing.

It's quite simple, you either buy a tool for its function or you buy a tool for its looks.

An AR is a tool. A multi-thousand dollar over/under shotgun is a different story.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 10
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top