Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/16/2009 12:21:16 PM EDT
I am sure that has been asked a bunch of times and I am sure there is some info about this. However, I have look and look on this site for any info about what a high or a low shelf is. Can anybody point me in the right direction?

If I just missed it I am sorry. Guess I am just a dumb redneck.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 12:31:46 PM EDT
[#1]
a simple way of looking at it, high shelf receivers have the area behind the selector switch built up to prevent the use of a RDIAS.

low shelf lowers are not made this way, and a RDIAS can be used with minimal difficulty.

RDIAS = registered drop in auto sear.

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 12:36:17 PM EDT
[#2]
High Shelf

Low Shelf

pics coutesy of Gloftoe

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 12:37:47 PM EDT
[#3]
I see, what is the best way to yell if your lower is a high shelf or a low shelf?

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 12:40:05 PM EDT
[#4]
I guess I am to slow and thanks for the pictures
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 12:53:11 PM EDT
[#5]
See:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=436317

also

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=12&t=318113&page=6

Quoted:
High or Low Shelf AR Receivers. Who Makes What?

This is a list of companies showing who makes high shelf and who makes low shelf AR-15 lower receivers. This is in reference to RDIAS compatibility. RDIAS is Registered Drop In Auto Sear. A RDIAS, which can be found for much less than an registered M-16 or other AR-15 compatible registered select fire lower receiver. Here is a link that goes in to depth on the RDIAS- www.quarterbore.com/nfa/dias.html

Low shelf is in green and high shelf in red.

Green = DIAS compatible  
Red = Not DIAS compatible

Aero Precision - high shelf

Ameetec - low shelf

Anvil Arms - low shelf

Armalite - high shelf

Bushmaster - low shelf

CMMG - low shelf

CMT - high shelf

Colt - high shelf

Double Star - low shelf

DPMS - low shelf

DTI (Del-Ton) - low shelf

Essential Arms - high shelf

Fulton Armory - low shelf

LAR - low shelf

LMT - high shelf

Mega - low shelf

Olympic Arms - high shelf ?

Rock River Arms - high shelf

Spike's Tactical - Bullet Selector Markings = high shelf / Fire/Safe Selector Markings = low shelf

Stag - high shelf

Sun Devil - low shelf

Superior Arms - high shelf

This is the information I have so far. Please feel free to voice any corrections and continue to add to this list (please use the email function as I have no way of knowing if you posted or PM'd me since the board seems to have no notification.)

Maybe this should have it's own tack?

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 1:17:09 PM EDT
[#6]
WOW my Essential Arms I believe has a low shelf. Anyway it looks like my LAR. Maybe my LAR is a high shelf?
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 1:20:54 PM EDT
[#7]
In addition, I believe that Tactical Innovations receivers, both forged and billet, are low shelf.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 1:43:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Aero Precision has recently switched to making LOW shelf receivers.  A great decision from a great manufacturer.

Essential Arms makes their receivers high shelf as standard. They will make low shelf receivers if you request it, but they charge extra.  I used to have a low shelf from them, but when I ordered a few more just before the election, I received high shelf.  I talked to "Mr. Essential Arms" about it and suggested he make them all low shelf.  I suprised him when I told him the number of "tier one" manufacturers that make them low shelf.  We'll see if he switches to low shelf as a standard.  Not likely is my guess.  That is a shame because the lowers I received were well made and went together with no issues.  I choose to buy low shelf, but I'll buy them from someone who makes them standard.  I'm not paying extra.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 2:29:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Aero Precision has recently switched to making LOW shelf receivers.  A great decision from a great manufacturer.

Essential Arms makes their receivers high shelf as standard. They will make low shelf receivers if you request it, but they charge extra.  I used to have a low shelf from them, but when I ordered a few more just before the election, I received high shelf.  I talked to "Mr. Essential Arms" about it and suggested he make them all low shelf.  I suprised him when I told him the number of "tier one" manufacturers that make them low shelf.  We'll see if he switches to low shelf as a standard.  Not likely is my guess.  That is a shame because the lowers I received were well made and went together with no issues.  I choose to buy low shelf, but I'll buy them from someone who makes them standard.  I'm not paying extra.

I bought the Essential Arms lowers some time ago. I didn't pay any extra for the low shelf and if I remember right I paid like $72.00 ea. They where the cheapest I could find at the time. I feel special now

Link Posted: 9/27/2009 7:48:23 PM EDT
[#10]
My new Spike's lower has a low shelf and bullet markings
Link Posted: 9/27/2009 8:07:35 PM EDT
[#11]
why do some of the low shelf lower have the thickness on the right wall???
Link Posted: 9/27/2009 8:24:44 PM EDT
[#12]
Prevent easier autosear installation.
Link Posted: 9/27/2009 8:33:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Hughes Precision HR-15 is also a low shelf.
Link Posted: 9/27/2009 9:46:09 PM EDT
[#14]
My S&W M&P-15 is high shelf.
Link Posted: 9/28/2009 2:40:57 AM EDT
[#15]
All the new spikes are low shelf
Link Posted: 9/28/2009 3:35:16 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
WOW my Essential Arms I believe has a low shelf. Anyway it looks like my LAR. Maybe my LAR is a high shelf?

EA makes both high and low and was an option to pick when I bought the five I have.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top