Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/19/2009 5:40:55 PM EDT
im looking for .223 with some extremely good accuracy. who's barrels would you recomend for match grade? and what length would you go with?
Link Posted: 2/19/2009 5:47:08 PM EDT
[#1]
What Kind of length are we talking?  is it for service rifle match?  etc...

Shilen makes one that I'd put money on with a matched bolt...

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/ns/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=26660&title=AR-15/M16%20DROP-IN%20BARREL/BOLT%20SET
Link Posted: 2/19/2009 5:49:20 PM EDT
[#2]
White Oak Armament

They should have barrels in stock next week, I would start checking vendors since they will get barrels before the retail guys.
Link Posted: 2/19/2009 6:15:58 PM EDT
[#3]
not sure on the length...something from 20-26" nto sure which would be better.
Link Posted: 2/20/2009 5:23:10 PM EDT
[#4]
You can order a custom barrel made by anybody you want. There is a wait of course and costs. White Oak Armament sells quality mass produced barrels with Wylde chambers and they shoot very well. Their sister company White Oak Precision hand makes barrels to your specifications. You can order Bartlein, Broughton, Shilen, Pac-Nor, Kreiger, Douglas, or any other brand or grade of blank and they will custom contour and custom chamber the rifle to whatever spec you ask. The same is true of Compass Lake Engineering (CLE). Scott Medesha (Medesha Firearms) and several others are true custom gunsmiths and will do whatever your heart and pocket book desires.
Link Posted: 2/20/2009 6:01:11 PM EDT
[#5]
I think you need to decide how accurate you need. Lots of low cost barrels can do less than 1 inch at 100 yards with the right ammo. The price to get a 1/2 inch at hundred yards barrel goes up but still not too pricey and reasonably easy to find. It is the 1/4 inch at 100 yards barrels where things seem to get alot more expensive.
Link Posted: 2/20/2009 7:38:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Don't forget Lilja barrels, one of the best target barrels in my opinion.

Lilja
Link Posted: 2/20/2009 8:00:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Yea, probably the first thing you need to do is decide where your budget is going to let you shop.  Hart, Lilja, and Krieger are top class but you will bleed to the tune of $450 and up to get one.  Douglas, White Oak, and Shileen all have solid reputations and will probably perform better than 97% of shooters are able to keep up with.  They can also be had for a reasonable cost (depending on your interpretation of reasonable).  You might want to look and see what Superior Barrels has to offer too.  Not sure who makes their blanks but I've read good things about their work.
Link Posted: 2/20/2009 8:04:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Noveske
Link Posted: 2/20/2009 8:42:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Don't forget Hart Barrels.

But my choice is still Krieger or Mike Rock.

Just send your goodies off to White Oak or Compass Lake and tell them what exactly you want. Can't go wrong with either builder.
Link Posted: 2/21/2009 12:16:28 AM EDT
[#10]
Any of These . Several of these companies make drop in barrels that are already chambered with the gas hole cut and barrel extension added. I'm partial to Lilja but any of these will shoot.
Link Posted: 2/21/2009 2:23:35 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
not sure on the length...something from 20-26" nto sure which would be better.

What do you want to use it for?  A 24" is generally the longest I've seen used and they aren't exactly handy on an AR.  A 26" barrel would definitely not be an easy to weild piece in an AR.  They get really front heavy, and there is little velocity to be gained from the .223 cartridge at that length.  It is also harder to make a barrel rigid for good accuracy the longer you make it.  This usually means making it thicker, which equals heavier.

If you are bench shooting then a long barrel may be great.  If you intend this to be portable for any type of hunting or non-fixed position shooting, a 20 inch barrel will probably be a good choice.

20" barrels are highly capable of good accuracy/velocity out to 600 yards.  (Service Rifle match distances)

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top