Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/27/2009 9:56:50 AM EDT
I'm trying to help some friends with a group buy and am limited in what is currently available at a reasonable price.  None of these would normally be my first choice, but I have leads on getting some rifles or receivers from the following makers.

CMMG
 Double Star
 DPMS
 DS Arms
 Superior Arms

- How would you rank them in terms of the quality of their assembled rifles?

- How would you rank them in terms of the quality of their stripped lowers?

I don't have any experience with any of them, so I need to ask for the communal wisdom.

Link Posted: 1/27/2009 12:21:49 PM EDT
[#1]
the top 3 are in the order that I would say.
CMMG top and DPMS third

I have no idea on the bottom 2

Double star stripped lowers are great and I love the black finish it is perfect.
Link Posted: 1/27/2009 12:27:48 PM EDT
[#2]
CMMG top on rifle

Any of them are fine for lowers.
Link Posted: 1/27/2009 12:40:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
the top 3 are in the order that I would say.

Coincidence, they were alphabetical, but thanks for responding.  Some reading elsewhere is leading me towards CMMG for assembled rifles.

I've read that all lowers are about the same, but I've also read a complaint that Superior Arms final machining on their lowers is a little rough.  Hopefully I'll get a few other comments from people with experience.

Link Posted: 1/27/2009 1:15:03 PM EDT
[#4]
If your going by makers and required mil spec including (mpi bolt,pressure testbolt, shot peened bolt, black extractor spring insert, properly staked gas key, M-16 bolt carrier, mil-b-11595e barrel steel, MPI barrel, pressure tested barrel, chrome chamber and bore 1:9 rifle twist, 5.56 chamber, M4 feed ramp, "f" height front site base, taper pins at fsb, finish at fsb, double handguard shields, staked reciever endplate "H" BUFFER the quality goes in this order (COLT) (NOVESKE) (LMT) (CHARLES DALY) (S&W MP15) (SABRE DEFENSE) ARMALITE) (CMMG) (STAG) (BUSHMASTER) (ROCK RIVER ARMS) (OLYMPIC) (DPMS)
Link Posted: 1/27/2009 1:26:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
If your going by makers and required mil spec including (mpi bolt,pressure testbolt, shot peened bolt, black extractor spring insert, properly staked gas key, M-16 bolt carrier, mil-b-11595e barrel steel, MPI barrel, pressure tested barrel, chrome chamber and bore 1:9 rifle twist, 5.56 chamber, M4 feed ramp, "f" height front site base, taper pins at fsb, finish at fsb, double handguard shields, staked reciever endplate "H" BUFFER the quality goes in this order (COLT) (NOVESKE) (LMT) (CHARLES DALY) (S&W MP15) (SABRE DEFENSE) ARMALITE) (CMMG) (STAG) (BUSHMASTER) (ROCK RIVER ARMS) (OLYMPIC) (DPMS)

1:9 rifle twist is not mil spec.  1:7 is.
Link Posted: 1/27/2009 1:27:30 PM EDT
[#6]
+1 for Doublestar lowers.  Excellent, IMO.
Link Posted: 1/27/2009 1:31:28 PM EDT
[#7]
1:7 SORRY I MISPRINTED.
Link Posted: 1/27/2009 1:41:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I would swap the position of the Sabre and Charles Daly.

Sabre is great stuff.
And maybe put Rock river in front of bushmaster.
And put DPMS in front of Olympic.

You also left out KAC, LWRC, top tier stuff   and   POF,middle of the road
Link Posted: 1/27/2009 1:46:49 PM EDT
[#9]
this order is going by the us military requirements.
Link Posted: 1/27/2009 1:49:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Id say DPMS is higher quality than Doublestar just because I have seen both in person. The other one's I've only heard and seen pictures of.

Quoted:
Quoted:

I would swap the position of the Sabre and Charles Daly.

Sabre is great stuff.
And maybe put Rock river in front of bushmaster.
And put DPMS in front of Olympic.

You also left out KAC, LWRC, top tier stuff   and   POF,middle of the road

Oh, and also I'd put Bushmaster in front of all those other rifles.
Link Posted: 1/27/2009 1:57:17 PM EDT
[#11]
CMMG = DPMS same thing.
Link Posted: 1/27/2009 2:17:37 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
this order is going by the us military requirements.

+1   the KAC E3 bolt and the LWRC are not  Milspec type rifles, good, but not made to be the same as the others
Link Posted: 1/27/2009 2:29:47 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
CMMG = DPMS same thing.

Oh really? That is actually pretty cool

Thanks for the info.
Link Posted: 1/27/2009 2:38:04 PM EDT
[#14]
Only ones I have experence with are, DPMS, two parts kits, an M4 clone and a 20" A2, both assembled on olympic arms recievers, both shot fine. Double Star, I have experience with their sister company, J&T for rifle kits, and they are sweet. The last builds I have done were on superior arms stripped lowers, good quality lowers IMO. I dont like the adjustable set screw that comes stock to adjust trigger travel, but it is easily removed.
Link Posted: 1/27/2009 2:38:12 PM EDT
[#15]
I'd go for a double-star hands down considering the choices....
Link Posted: 1/27/2009 2:40:05 PM EDT
[#16]
you will never be able to tell the difference.
Link Posted: 1/27/2009 2:54:28 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
you will never be able to tell the difference.

But double star has that pimp ass....   dragon/phenox/bird thing as a logo (WTF is that thing?!?)––- I'll tell THAT as a difference =)  hahahahahha...

BTW––- I've used 2 Doublestar stripped lowers in builds... a couple DPMS lowers, and a CMMG (and a handful of POF and LMT's)...    the only real difference is that that the Doublestars are a deeper black then the rest of your options...

As far as assembled Rifles?... yeah, you probably won't tell the difference
Link Posted: 1/27/2009 3:26:35 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
+1 for Doublestar lowers.  Excellent, IMO.

Another
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top