Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/11/2005 8:52:22 AM EDT
Im still new to firearms, im 20 years old in MD so from what I read, at this time, I can only get an "HBAR". I visited a site , they are actually based in MD and saw a carbine that looks nice and sounds nice. http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/rifles/ar15/Olympic_Arms_AR15/Olympic_Arms_AR15_PCR_GI.html
http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/rifles/ar15/Olympic_Arms_AR15/Olympicarmsginoban.jpg
The Best Value AR 15 Rifle on the Market !!!!!!  Lifetime Warranty

Olympic Arms PCR GI ,AR15 .223 ,semi auto rifle, 100 % new, these rifles  are built to be packed with quality but still at a affordable price, they feature 4140 chromemoly heavy match grade 16 inch barrel, 1 x 9 twist, forged upper & lower receiver, A-1 sights, they will take hi cap mags & are backed up by a LIFETIME WARRANTY !!! Comes with one mag, sling , owners info  & is shipped in a padded rifle hard case .  
On Sale Only! $649.00

Its $650 , would this be ok for me? I really dont have money for something expensive...Thanks guys, sorry if my post sounds ignorant, keep in mind im new, and I still try to do research at the same time.  

Here is the main page for AR's http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/rifles/ar15/ar15.html
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 8:54:23 AM EDT
[#1]
I say it's a great start, go for it.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 9:10:59 AM EDT
[#2]
Very good price, nice rifle..go for it and have fun!

You won't regret it!!

HH
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 9:16:55 AM EDT
[#3]
Right on.  Go get it, run a few hundred rounds through it and come back to tell us how much fun it was.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 9:28:33 AM EDT
[#4]
That looks like a good deal to me!

I just bought my first AR, and I am having a blast!
Unfortunately, I have already been infected with a serious case of BRD.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 9:31:03 AM EDT
[#5]
If you're looking to save money, you could buy a kit and a stripped lower reciever.
It wouldn't take any special tools to put together, you'd save yourself some $$, and when you're done you know exactly how everything works and can do basic repairs yourself.
If you're intimidated by putting together an AR yourself, there's an entire forum in here dedicated to it, tons of guys there like to help walking people through a build-it-yourself.
With what you have left you can buy some 30 round mags, ammo, etc.
Good luck! Happy and safe shooting.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 9:31:55 AM EDT
[#6]
Don't you have to be 21 to buy a assualt rifle in MD???
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 9:37:27 AM EDT
[#7]
Have to be 21 in MI to buy rifles, pistols, ammunition, etc... I'd imagine its the same throughout the US.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 9:47:07 AM EDT
[#8]
Go for it!
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 9:48:09 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Have to be 21 in MI to buy rifles, pistols, ammunition, etc... I'd imagine its the same throughout the US.

In Texas, it's 18 to buy a Long Rifle from a Dealer (Even Assault Rifles), 21 to purchase Pistol Ammo or a Pistol from a Dealer.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 10:02:54 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Eh... no...

In Michigan anyone over 18 can get a purchase permit and buy a handgun from a private party and the minimum age to purchase rifles and rifle ammo from a FFL is 18. However 18 to 20 year olds cannot purchase handgun ammo nor handguns from an FFL.

It's federal law that stops FFLs from selling handguns or handgun ammo to persons under 21.  A person must be 21 years of age to purchase a handgun or handgun ammunition, and 18 years of age to buy a rifle or shotgun or ammunition, from a retail firearm dealer.

edited for typo
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 10:19:16 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
If you're looking to save money, you could buy a kit and a stripped lower reciever.
It wouldn't take any special tools to put together, you'd save yourself some $$, and when you're done you know exactly how everything works and can do basic repairs yourself.
If you're intimidated by putting together an AR yourself, there's an entire forum in here dedicated to it, tons of guys there like to help walking people through a build-it-yourself.

I would love to go this route! can you point me in the right direction
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 10:24:41 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

+1

h/w your choice would not be too bad, does it have a chrome-lined bbl?
try to get a CHROME LINED (not associated w/ chrome moly) to get longer bbl life and more resistance to rust and easier cleaning

also, i would opt to get the rifle chambered in "5.56"--5.56 chambering will shoot 5.56 and .223 bullets safely; h/w, .223 chambereing is not recommended to shoot 5.56 due to its higher presures

and WELCOME to the site
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 10:31:00 AM EDT
[#13]
go for it, you will never go back to any other gun.

black rifle fever will take over

welcome

Link Posted: 1/11/2005 10:50:46 AM EDT
[#14]
Rifles the legal age is 18. Pistols are 21 if purchasing from an FFL dealer. As for this Olympic rifle, it is ok but the barrel isn't chrome lined & the A1 sights were "GI spec" about 25-30 years ago before the A2 came along. They are the current "GI spec" sights if that matters to you. I'd prefer a flatop because of the ability to mount other optics down the road but if you are just going to shoot with irons the rifle should be ok.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 10:53:29 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Don't you have to be 21 to buy a assualt rifle in MD???

In Maryland, "regulated firearms" are prohibited for sale to those under 21 years of age:

(b)  Sale, rental, or transfer of regulated firearm prohibited.- A dealer or other person may not sell, rent, or transfer a regulated firearm to a purchaser, lessee, or transferee who the dealer or other person knows or has reasonable cause to believe:  

(1) is under the age of 21 years;

<and additional categories not pertinent to this discussion>

Where "regulated firearm" is defined as:

(p)  Regulated firearm.- "Regulated firearm" means:  

(1) a handgun; or  
(2) a firearm that is any of the following specific assault weapons or their copies, regardless of which company produced and manufactured that assault weapon:  
(i) American Arms Spectre da Semiautomatic carbine;  
(ii) AK-47 in all forms;  
(iii) Algimec AGM-1 type semi-auto;  
(iv) AR 100 type semi-auto;  
(v) AR 180 type semi-auto;  
(vi) Argentine L.S.R. semi-auto;  
(vii) Australian Automatic Arms SAR type semi-auto;  
(viii) Auto-Ordnance Thompson M1 and 1927 semi-automatics;  
(ix) Barrett light.50 cal. semi-auto;  
(x) Beretta AR70 type semi-auto;  
(xi) Bushmaster semi-auto rifle;  
(xii) Calico models M-100 and M-900;  
(xiii) CIS SR 88 type semi-auto;  
(xiv) Claridge HI TEC C-9 carbines;  
(xv) Colt AR-15, CAR-15, and all imitations except Colt AR-15 Sporter H-BAR rifle;  
(xvi) Daewoo MAX 1 and MAX 2, aka AR 100, 110C, K-1, and K-2;  
(xvii) Dragunov Chinese made semi-auto;  
(xviii) Famas semi-auto (.223 caliber);  
(xix) Feather AT-9 semi-auto;  
(xx) FN LAR and FN FAL assault rifle;  
(xxi) FNC semi-auto type carbine;  
(xxii) F.I.E./Franchi LAW 12 and SPAS 12 assault shotgun;  
(xxiii) Steyr-AUG-SA semi-auto;  
(xxiv) Galil models AR and ARM semi-auto;  
(xxv) Heckler and Koch HK-91 A3, HK-93 A2, HK-94 A2 and A3;  
(xxvi) Holmes model 88 shotgun;  
(xxvii) Avtomat Kalashnikov semiautomatic rifle in any format;  
(xxviii) Manchester Arms "Commando" MK-45, MK-9;  
(xxix) Mandell TAC-1 semi-auto carbine;  
(xxx) Mossberg model 500 Bullpup assault shotgun;  
(xxxi) Sterling Mark 6;  
(xxxii) P.A.W.S. carbine;  
(xxxiii) Ruger mini-14 folding stock model (.223 caliber);  
(xxxiv) SIG 550/551 assault rifle (.223 caliber);  
(xxxv) SKS with detachable magazine;  
(xxxvi) AP-74 Commando type semi-auto;  
(xxxvii) Springfield Armory BM-59, SAR-48, G3, SAR-3, M-21 sniper rifle, M1A, excluding the M1 Garand;  
(xxxviii) Street sweeper assault type shotgun;  
(xxxix) Striker 12 assault shotgun in all formats;  
(xl) Unique F11 semi-auto type;  
(xli) Daewoo USAS 12 semi-auto shotgun;  
(xlii) UZI 9mm carbine or rifle;  
(xliii) Valmet M-76 and M-78 semi-auto;  
(xliv) Weaver Arms "Nighthawk" semi-auto carbine; or  
(xlv) Wilkinson Arms 9mm semi-auto "Terry".

Note that the Colt Sporter HBAR is specifically exempted, and thus legal to purchase in Maryland even by someone under 21 years of age.  Authorities have generally applied this exemption to all HBAR AR-15s (particularly those actually stamped "HBAR").
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 12:00:17 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
That looks like a good deal to me!

I just bought my first AR, and I am having a blast!
Unfortunately, I have already been infected with a serious case of BRD.

I got BRD back in September.  I am still infected.  
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 12:16:18 PM EDT
[#17]
Buy it...
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 12:24:14 PM EDT
[#18]
go for it!!   then after that go for it again!!!!
sooner or later theres no turning back
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 12:34:41 PM EDT
[#19]
so how big a deal are these sights and chrome barrel ?
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 12:36:05 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
so how big a deal are these sights and chrome barrel ?

Chrome barrel is a must...Troy will chime in and tell you the same.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 3:28:56 PM EDT
[#21]
As Ben Stiller said in "Starsky and Hutch"...

Do it. Do it.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top