Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 1/29/2006 12:20:46 AM EDT
saw some brased cased 7.62x39 ammo at the gun show today that came in heavy cardboard boxes 40 rounds to a box. i saw it at two tables, one had 1140 rounds to a case and the other had 1400 rounds to a case. both sellers said it was yugo and it was going for about $210 a case for either the 1400 rounds or 1140 rounds. i was not able to look at the head stamp. is this stuff yugo and is it any good? what is a good price for this ammo and should i buy some to store for a rainy day? thanks for any help you can offer.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 12:35:58 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/29/2006 12:37:03 AM EDT by Xenogy]
Yugo stuff is corrosive. Not the best for a rainy day IMHO.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 5:47:05 AM EDT
I thought Yugo stoped making corrosive amo? Please correct me if I am wrong
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 5:53:40 AM EDT
Slightly corrosive, not bad stuff. I shoot it and like it, I clean normal and have no problem with my mak 90.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 6:19:06 AM EDT

Originally Posted By akginmaster:
Slightly corrosive, not bad stuff. I shoot it and like it, I clean normal and have no problem with my mak 90.

What do you consider normal cleaning? Every 500rds? Every 1000rds? Every time you shoot? I wonder becuase I was shooting yugo ammo yesterday from my Yugo underfolder. Put it back in the safe at my dads without cleaning. I figure its an Ak and it should be ready for abuse, only shot 60rds.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 6:39:21 AM EDT
Yes the Yugo ammo is corrosive,the extent of which is determined by the conditions [humidity]your rifle is subjected to.Yugo AK ammo is,IMO,some of the best AK ammo avaliable and perfect for long term storage and serious use.If you fired 60 rounds through it yesterday,you'll have some surface rust starting today.You need to clean your bore,gas tube,wipe down the action and don't forget to clean the top part of your mag.Repeat the cleaning operation tomorrow.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 7:31:02 AM EDT
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 7:50:46 AM EDT
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 7:52:45 AM EDT

Originally Posted By VA-gunnut:

It is corrosive, and you do need to clean after using it. It is very hot ammo, and works great. I bought it back when you could get for $120 a case. I should of bought more than I did.

+ 1,I'm down to three un-opened cases and I feel short!
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 8:05:53 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/29/2006 8:08:41 AM EDT by spartan28]

Originally Posted By JOHNO:
Yes the Yugo ammo is corrosive,the extent of which is determined by the conditions [humidity]your rifle is subjected to.Yugo AK ammo is,IMO,some of the best AK ammo avaliable and perfect for long term storage and serious use.If you fired 60 rounds through it yesterday,you'll have some surface rust starting today.You need to clean your bore,gas tube,wipe down the action and don't forget to clean the top part of your mag.Repeat the cleaning operation tomorrow.

Are you serious? I wont be able to clean the ak for acouple of weeks. I keep most of my AKs out of town at my dads in his safe. Do you think this will be a problem? I thought you never had to clean an Ak? I always used non corrosive Wolf. This is the first few rounds ever out of my crate of Yugo ammo. I really dont want to make a 2 hour trip just to clean the bore of my rifle. Now you got me all nervous, My Yugo underfolder is one of my favorite Aks I was lucky to get a excellent bore. LMK

Link Posted: 1/29/2006 8:13:07 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/29/2006 8:13:40 AM EDT by JOHNO]

Originally Posted By spartan28:

Originally Posted By JOHNO:

Are you serious? I wont be able to clean the ak for acouple of weeks. I keep most of my AKs out of town at my dads in his safe. Do you think this will be a problem? I thought you never had to clean an Ak? I always used non corrosive Wolf. This is the first few rounds ever out of my crate of Yugo ammo. I really dont want to make a 2 hour trip just to clean the bore of my rifle. Now you got me all nervous, My Yugo underfolder is one of my favorite Aks I was lucky to get a excellent bore. LMK

Yep,I'm serious.Can you get your Dad to spray a good Gun Oil like G96 in the bore until you get a chance to clean it?I shot some corrosive smg ammo out of an Uzi and put it away for a couple weeks once,the bore was red but it cleaned up good.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 8:31:47 AM EDT
At a minimum you need to put some water down the barrel, and gas tube immediately to neutralize the corrosive salts. Then coat it with a CLP to prevent rust.

With the Yugo AK you don't have a chrome lined barrel so you need to be even more careful with it. Drive the two hours and take care of that because rust is hard to get rid of.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 8:32:06 AM EDT
I will take my chances. Thanks for letting me know though. I guess I am spoiled on non corrosive ammo, Since Wolf has dried up and Yugo is more available I will take corrosion factor into consideration. Thanks
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 8:34:38 AM EDT
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 8:50:19 AM EDT
Isn't this the same stuff AIM and everyone else was selling about 10 months or so ago?
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 8:58:00 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/29/2006 9:00:47 AM EDT by spartan28]
I have the green wood crate sealed in metal tuna can (1140rds). Each box has 15rds. At the gunshow I asked if it was corrosive ammo and they said, "no this is the good stuff". I know they will tell you anything to sell you , but I have bought from this vendor many times(ammunitionstore). They always had 1000rds of wolf for 75$. Since Wolf has been dry I bought the Yugo ammo. On each box it says 7.62mm Metak, 15 Koma a. There is other writting, but appears to be in different Language. I do not see a year on box or crate. I bought it 2 months ago. So is this corrosive or not guys?
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 9:08:26 AM EDT
Yes,it is corrosive.But,I've shot it in the past without noticing hardly any ill effect.It may have been due to low humidity or that I had shot alot of non-corrosive stuff before without cleaning and the residue may have insulated the steel.I don't know.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 10:07:14 AM EDT

Originally Posted By spartan28:
I thought you never had to clean an Ak? I always used non corrosive Wolf.

When people mention not cleaning AK's I'd speculate that most are merely referring to the ability of the weapon to function with a fair amount of build-up on the internals, not the ability of the steel to resist corrosion. Where I live, if I don't clean a weapon the day of shooting, surface rust begins to develop.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 11:04:05 AM EDT
I've recently been shooting some Yugo corrosive ammo (circa 1975) out of an AK and SKS with no problems, but I clean each rifle within 24 hours. There's no way I would wait a few weeks after shooting corrosive stuff - at least run some oiled patches down the barrels.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 1:35:15 PM EDT
Ak is clean. Called my dad and had him clean it. He said there was no surface rust and the bore/gas piston was still nicely oiled. He still wiped it out with CLP and oiled again.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 1:50:16 PM EDT
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 2:26:28 PM EDT

Originally Posted By VA-gunnut:
Back when this stuff first hit the market (early 2003). The story going around was that the ammo packed on stripper clips was corrosive, and the stuff that wasn't packed on stripper clips was not corrosive. I forget the date range between the two, but that was the story going around then.

Everything I bought was on stripper clips, and it is corrosive.

The guys at the show said the ammo was non-corrosive. But everyone here says corrosive. Does anyone have the absolute facts on Yugo ammo. Is there such thing as non- corrosive Yugo?
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 2:50:41 PM EDT
Corrosive is good. Corrosion is bad. Spray it down with some windex(strong alkaline), then hose it down with some clp and forget about it.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 2:58:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/29/2006 3:04:18 PM EDT by VA-gunnut]
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 3:40:45 PM EDT
Yes, mine is stamped with the NK 7701-25m. The n is backwards. 15rds per box. Thanks for the info on that I feel a little better now.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 3:53:25 PM EDT
I only shoot stuff that "I" know is non corrosive. I like being able to shoot a 200 rounds and put the gun away and not have to worry. Here is an FYI for cleaning after using corrosive ammo, Windex. The ammona works great to clean and neutralize it. I know people that use it in their Nagants when they are done shootin. Just get a funnel and pour it down the barrel.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 4:26:38 PM EDT
ok i went back to the show today and looked at the head stamp and it was stamped NK with a backwards N and the date was 1977. it was on striper clips and was 40 rounds to a box and 1120 rounds to a wood case. when i asked again today he said it was from some other country (cant remember which one) so i dont think he knows what he has. i passed on it at $8.50 per 40 rounds but i did find some south african. paid $90 for 600 rounds so a bit high but i have heard good things about it so i thought what the hell. i can only assume that the other stuff if yugo must be corrosive being it is on striper clips based on the responses of others in this thread.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 4:46:29 PM EDT
From what I gather stripper clips = corrosive. 15rd boxes With NK (n backwards) = non corrosive
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 7:02:46 PM EDT

Originally Posted By robpiat:
Corrosive is good. Corrosion is bad. Spray it down with some windex(strong alkaline), then hose it down with some clp and forget about it.

I used windex after shooting the yugo. Spayed down the gas tube, barrel. gas block, piston, and rear site base with liberal amounts. Then cleaned with hopes. My AK still rusted in the gas tube and block,.
Top Top