Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/17/2005 9:01:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/18/2005 7:54:21 AM EDT by RUSSIANCATKILLA]
I dont really care for AKs. Dont want to sound like I'm dissing them at all since it is still a firearm. Dont get that impression. Me AR15. Tonight I'm getting some weird thoughts though. Whats so good about them? I want to know to know why you like your AK. Give me some pros and cons. Hey maybe tommarow I'll come home with one. Thanks for the advice/thoughts.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 9:13:09 PM EDT
Why do you like the ARs so much?
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 9:17:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/17/2005 9:17:25 PM EDT by robpiat]
Well because if the SHTF, or if somebody invades the US, AR's will be found left behind in foxholes with dead batteries and AK Folks will be called insurgents...
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 9:21:09 PM EDT
One of the finer pleasures of an AK is that Diane Steinfine says they are evil. If it aint good enough for diane or Teddy or that sweet and lovely lady that worked for Rose Law, then it's definately good for the rest of us.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 9:21:31 PM EDT
Hmmmm....

I go for a better rifle myself, the M1 Garand

Aks handle abuse better, ARs are more accurate, neither feel "right" to me, others love whatever for their own deeply personal reasons
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 9:28:21 PM EDT
You need to shoot a full auto AK.

I got bored of my semi and sold it, then a year later I shot a FA one and knew I had to buy another. I like AR's more, but AK's are great weapons.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 9:33:00 PM EDT
They are reliable, fun to shoot, cheap to shoot, easy to clean, fun to accessorize with com bloc accessories and they have alot of history behind them. I didn't really like them at first either they were like the bad guys gun but now i love them just so much stuff to learn about them. I didnt like the AR before i had an AK and now i really dont like the AR because its not what everyone says it is and AK is everything and more.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 9:36:29 PM EDT
because they are all business. They work, end of story. You should give one a whirl, I have gone through AR's and such but the AK really is just a durable working piece of steel.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 9:42:11 PM EDT
Amazing, RUSSIANCATKILLA

You're still here, keep it up

GM
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 10:17:02 PM EDT
It's way past your bed time. Brush your teeth and go to bed.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 11:04:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/17/2005 11:06:17 PM EDT by Atreides]
That's OK RK, everyone has the right to their opinion.

Me? I appreciate any good weapon. "Good" doesn't always have to mean expensive. I have a few AR's, and it goes without saying they are expensive, not HK or Styr expensive, but expensive.

But I am not without my own hangups. While there is no doubt in my mind the AK is a great gun I have grown to associate it's shape with 'the Enemy'. Seeing the guns on their own doesn't bother me a bit, but seeing them in pictures from the Balkan's, or the streets of Bagdahd, and in Africa, in South East Asia, all in the hands of people who hate my country and my way of life, well, that gets me pissed.

But when all is said and done, all an AK is, is a gun. It has no morals or evil political agenda's, it is neither good nor evil, it's just a gun. It's shape is enough to envoke emotion in me sure, but why so? On the other hand, I don't feel any more patriotic when I see an AR15...a weapon who's shape has long been associated with the US, and hated by those that hate us?

I guess I have some things engrained in my mind, things that group the AK47 with the German Luger's, or Japanese Arisaka rifles: you know, "BAD GUY" weapons.

But then I grew up. I recognised the AK for what it is, and the fact that it is still as competent a weapon now as it was decades ago.

The AK (as opposed to an AR15)

#1. A VERY reliable rugged weapon that can take a ton of abuse and neglect, and STILL function as it should. It is build with wider tolerences, and while the AK47 and AK74 may not be as refined as the AR15, they are just as effective. It may trade off a little accuracy for reliability, but reliability is a GOOD thing, especially in a battle rifle.

#2. A different approach to the battlefeild than the AR. In the case of the AK47, we have a battlerifle with a tried and true .30 caliber chambering. 30 caliber rounds have proven to be a very effective size projectile in battle rifles over the years. While the 7.62 X 39mm round may not be considered by anyone as a 'high powered' round it non the less does possess a higher ballistic weight than the 5.56mm NATO round. LARGER MASS = More FORCE (energy) transfered. Because of this, the AK47 does NOT rely on bullet velocity to function as designed, again, unlike the 5.56mm NATO round.

#3. In the case of the AK74, low recoil impulse = higher controllability at higher rates of fire. The 5.45 X 39mm has proven itself to be an improvement over the 7.62mm rounds when accuracy is concerned all while maintaining the good aspects associated with the heavier round.

#4. It's always a good idea to be familiar with what's on the other side of the fence. Owning an AK will allow yourself to really learn and know the weapon. Sure, it ain't rocket science, but being familiar with a wide range of weapons is always a good thing.

While the AR15 IS a more refined weapon, I don't consider it superior to the AK. These two weapons were built with two VERY different approaches to the same goal. Now, get yourself a M1 Carbine and THEN you'd see just how good a battle rifle can be.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 11:40:08 PM EDT
Every weapon has it's pro's and con's.
But! when you build a weapon from a flat reciever, re-finish it spend hours and hours
building it you just get attached! What can I say?
Then there is the clack clack clack that is only AK.
If you don't get it you never will.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 12:23:17 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/18/2005 12:23:55 AM EDT by Darkest2000]
they're affordable, reliable, fun to shoot, versatile, looks badass...like like an AR15 actually, except AK is even more affordable than AR.

So I would say I love AKs for the same reason you love your AR.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 12:33:19 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/18/2005 12:37:10 AM EDT by Lumpy196]
He's back.

BTW...its "hear" not "here." Your trolling is no better than your literacy.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 1:35:20 AM EDT
Here's a new idea. Get both.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 1:47:13 AM EDT

Originally Posted By 4get_No1:
Here's a new idea. Get both.

Agreed!!!
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 2:22:57 AM EDT

Originally Posted By robpiat:
Well because if the SHTF, or if somebody invades the US, AR's will be found left behind in foxholes with dead batteries and AK Folks will be called insurgents...

My AR shoots just fine without batteries.....in fact, I didn't realize there are any....where are they? In over twenty years I've never once changed them....Should I? Or is it a battery charger sort of thing? And I don't even have a foxhole...or a fox.

And I think AK folks will still be called Americans, and the invaders will be referred to as "Dead".
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 2:33:51 AM EDT

Originally Posted By NH_AR_Shooter:

Originally Posted By robpiat:

My AR shoots just fine without batteries.....in fact, I didn't realize there are any....where are they? In over twenty years I've never once changed them....Should I? Or is it a battery charger sort of thing? And I don't even have a foxhole...or a fox.

And I think AK folks will still be called Americans, and the invaders will be referred to as "Dead".

He must be talking about electric airsoft guns. Hey RUSSIANCATKILLA, just so you know the airsoft AK47 runs on battery too!
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 4:37:01 AM EDT
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 5:52:08 AM EDT

Originally Posted By RUSSIANCATKILLA:
I dont really care for AKs. Dont want to sound like I'm dissing them at all since it is still a firearm. Dont get that impression. Me AR15. Tonight I'm getting some weird thoughts though. Whats so good about them? I want to know to know why you like your AK. Givem m some pros and cons. Hey maybe tommarow I'll come home with one. Thanks for the advice/thoughts.

cons?
well...when i'm bored, i dont have to clean it.. thats kind of bad.. i mean, i need something to do.

basically, its a super reliable gun. you can beat it up, abuse it, and treat it like you hate it- and it wont care. it'll take it and go pop every time. its a really unique feeling for a range gun. i think they're pretty in a classic way and some look like safe queens, but to me these guns are the best things for shooting, for really getting down and dirty and really having fun. the ammo is also really cheap, thats why i love the 7.62 round so much. its cheap and you dont have to worry about the gun messing up on you.

if you've never shot an ak, its a different feeling. especially if you get to go somewhere that will let you have some fun. thats one of the big attractions to me.

there is also a certain air of power to it. everyone knows the ar-15, or atleast the look of it. but, when someone sees you with an ak....they know what that is. its got a stigma and thats fun too. its just just a gun, its THE GUN.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 6:07:56 AM EDT
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 6:08:23 AM EDT
It is spelled, HEAR,
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 7:09:45 AM EDT

I dont really care for AKs. Dont want to sound like I'm dissing them at all since it is still a firearm. Dont get that impression. Me AR15. Tonight I'm getting some weird thoughts though. Whats so good about them? I want to know to know why you like your AK. Givem m some pros and cons. Hey maybe tommarow I'll come home with one. Thanks for the advice/thoughts.

My thoughts and impressions: Learn to spell and punctuate. Your trolling comments are difficult to understand. In order to be an effective troll you must learn to spell and punctuate, otherwise all you are going to get is spelling/grammar lessons.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 7:57:27 AM EDT
For all you english teachers I fixed the spelling error and the extra me that you all missed.

Ok back to the AK people. Thanks for the advice and thoughts. Gave me a new way to look at the AK.

My next question- AK47 vs. AK74 whats the diff??? Which is better? why?
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 8:01:44 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/18/2005 8:04:15 AM EDT by USMC_LB]

Originally Posted By TacticalPenguin:
Hmmmm....

I go for a better rifle myself, the M1 Garand

Aks handle abuse better, ARs are more accurate, neither feel "right" to me, others love whatever for their own deeply personal reasons

Depends on the situation... I can think of several where units of equal size and traning where
the AK would rule over the Garand...

LB

PS

74s rule over 47s...

better shot placement and quicker follow-up shot... you
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 8:05:19 AM EDT

For all you english teachers I fixed the spelling error and the extra me that you all missed.

Ok back to the AK people. Thanks for the advice and thoughts. Gave me a new way to look at the AK.

My next question- AK47 vs. AK74 whats the diff??? Which is better? why?

Link Posted: 9/18/2005 8:07:45 AM EDT
I cound never find the batteries in my AR15 either.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 8:43:14 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/18/2005 8:46:06 AM EDT by tooly]

I dont really care for AKs. Dont want to sound like I'm dissing them at all since it is still a firearm. Dont get that impression. Me AR15. Tonight I'm getting some weird thoughts
though. Whats so good about them? I want to know to know why you like your AK. Give me some pros and cons. Hey maybe tommarow I'll come home with one. Thanks for the advice/thoughts.

you probly dont want to hear this but ......... # 1 You are a

#2 Who gives a shit if you come home with one or NOT !!!
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 8:47:04 AM EDT
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 9:20:54 AM EDT
Nobody probly gives a shit if I come home with one, hell I don't even give a shit if I come home with one.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 9:46:40 AM EDT

Nobody probly gives a shit if I come home with one, hell I don't even give a shit if I come home with one.

Then why do you post?

PS: AR's are nice, but can you bash the shit out of an enemy with one if needed?
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 10:06:28 AM EDT
What was that saying about feeding the trolls?
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 11:15:44 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Robotizing:

Then why do you post?

Because he's a troll, but as usual no one with just ban his worth ass. So sit back, and enjoy slapping him around. He's really not that bright.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 11:19:01 AM EDT
I love the AK. I also love the AR.

AKs are reliable and tough. That is enough for me.

Max
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 11:45:26 AM EDT
Hmm..

I can buy two schite AKs for the price of one decent AR...

Hell my buddy has a bone stock Colt AR15..

I'll have less money total into a yugo sks, an SAR-1 AK and soon a sig P228 in 9mm....

Dunno though because I haven't shot either yet.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 1:16:03 PM EDT
Well, let's see. I have had a Maadi ARM in the gun safe for over ten years. Last year I found out that I could get rid of that crappy thumbhole stock. I replaced it with a K-VAR plum set, an FSE FCG, and a US gas piston. At the same time I assembled an AR 14.5" carbine and put a Eotech on the AR recently. Then I started reading about building an AK from a kit. So I bought a Romy kit from DPH. Built it using a GT receiver and other 922r parts. Took it out to shoot it. Couldn't put it down. Now I have two more Romy kits to build. One will be a side folder. The other will be a mate to the first as the serial numbers are consecutive. Unintentional bonus from Scott at DPH.
Sat. my buddy and I were at the range. I needed to adjust the front sight to move the bullet strike to the right at 100yrds. and reset the battle zero. He had just installed a 16" barrel on his AR and wanted to sight it in. Once I had my rifle re-zeroed , I went to the 25yrd range to play. I was practising mag changes. At 25yrds. rapid semi-auto fire I managed to keep my shots in a 2-3" group while shooting offhand. Some people don't like the forward pistol grip on the Romy but I have found that it helps me bring the rifle down from recoil. Not that there is much with an AK.
I am finding that I like to shoot the AK more than my expensive AR. Since I am using Wolf HP that I bought 10 yrs ago I don't worry about picking up my brass(I reload ). Just shoot and shoot some more.
The upshot of it is that I find shooting the AK more fun. And I am rethinking my selection of a SHTF rifle. I am getting to the point where I can handle that AK like a conductor's wand. I think I have an incurable addiction.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 1:16:07 PM EDT
So what do you recomend for the first AK???
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 1:31:18 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Lumpy196:

Originally Posted By Robotizing:

Then why do you post?

Because he's a troll, but as usual no one with just ban his worth ass. So sit back, and enjoy slapping him around. He's really not that bright.

...but he runs on batereze
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 1:59:29 PM EDT
That's a very good question. I don't feel qualified to answer that definitively as there are guys here with more experience with the various models of AKs. I have only had a Norinco underfolder which I wish I still had. If you can find a Maadi ARM, not the MISR that's a good one. Put a new stock set and FCG and gas piston in it and you are good to go. I hate thumbhole stocks! The WASRs apparently are a good buy for a first AK although there seem to be problems with canted sights, etc.
One thing that you should know. If you have a modicum of mechanical skill and importantly patience AKs aren't all that hard to work on. Very easy to disassemble and repair. Do your homework and read everything you can about the AK. In addition to this site there are others with lots of valuable information on building and repair of AKs. That's what I did when I decided to build my own. Truthfully I will not buy another AK. I will build them. I will admit that I was a little hesitant at first but I overcame that. I can't wait to start on my side folder.
Once you start working with an AK, you will wonder why you didn't do it earlier. They are a blast. And they are not finicky. And they are fairly accurate. One thing to keep in mind is that they are not target rifles. They were meant for serious business, not for adding gizmos onto them. Keep them simple and they will not let you down.
As an aside, like I said, my buddy and I were at the range yesterday. We were the only ones there and while we were waiting for the rifles to cool off we were discussing the merits of the rifles; his Ar and my AK. He has the tendency to see everything in target accuracy terms, not practical shooting situations. He is enamored of long match grade barrels on his AR. Which was why I was surprised that he put a 16" barrel on his AR. Course he had a 4x scope on it. Any way , he finally said to me, "I guess you have chosen your 'go to rifle'". I guess he is right. Even though the ammo and the mags weigh more I will chose the AK over the AR. Utter reliability, bar none.
Finally, check out the EE and see what's for sale. Check out gunshops and pawnshops. You might find a bargain. And definitely ask the guys here for their advice on an AK. Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 1:59:57 PM EDT
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 2:05:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/18/2005 2:07:17 PM EDT by RUSSIANCATKILLA]
yankee56
Member-Posted :: 9/18/2005 5:59:29 PM EDT-

"And definitely ask the guys here for their advice on an AK. Hope this helps."

Ive been try'n this but I've only got acouple of helpful tips from people like you. thanks for the help
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 2:09:43 PM EDT

So what do you recomend for the first AK???

AK? I recommend a GFY.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 2:16:59 PM EDT
Get one of those WASRs. Or better yet, do like I do and build your own.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 2:22:55 PM EDT
how much does a kit cost(ballpark) do they come with all part? I know that when I built my AR15 I bought 2 different kits and put them together. How do they usually come???
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 2:24:45 PM EDT
I don't know what is funnier, Russiancatkiller's posts or the folks who try and give serious answers. FYI: do a search on his name and see what goodies come up. Iv'e come to the conclusion that he is either 1. A child, 2. retarded, or 3. Someone's troll account.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 2:34:09 PM EDT
My first choice is my AR, but look at my back up plan! need I say more?

Link Posted: 9/18/2005 2:36:53 PM EDT
theres always room for more but nice.....
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 2:56:56 PM EDT
If you are going to own an Ar you should have an AK as well.

It's the Yin/Yang thing.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 3:00:40 PM EDT
well I already got an AR15 and I'm considering the AK. Not really uptodate on the AK so I'm lookn for advice/tips/thoughts on them.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 3:10:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/18/2005 3:12:10 PM EDT by 762bodydropper]
Youguys are dicks. The trolls are the 2 guys abviously fron the ar side up there NH_AR_SHOOTER and DARKEST 2000 coming to the mens room looking for something to make thier penises look bigger. I dont even read thier boards because I am secure with my guns. He's just asking about the gun, They are reliable, cause alot of destruction and reliable. Most important they are reliable. I have shot an M16 more than I can count, and its not that bad of a gun. more accurate but less dependable, If you are looking for something to defend your life with the aks your gun, for putting holes in paper stick to the AR. But everyone likes them for different reasons some for historic some for the look but we all like them because they are reliable.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 3:59:22 PM EDT

Originally Posted By 762bodydropper:
Youguys are dicks. The trolls are the 2 guys abviously fron the ar side up there NH_AR_SHOOTER and DARKEST 2000 coming to the mens room looking for something to make thier penises look bigger. I dont even read thier boards because I am secure with my guns. He's just asking about the gun, They are reliable, cause alot of destruction and reliable. Most important they are reliable. I have shot an M16 more than I can count, and its not that bad of a gun. more accurate but less dependable, If you are looking for something to defend your life with the aks your gun, for putting holes in paper stick to the AR. But everyone likes them for different reasons some for historic some for the look but we all like them because they are reliable.

What a stupid turd you are....dispite my screen name, I post on the AK board on a regular basis, its been a couple years since I've posted on the AR side. My favorite gun at present is my 5.45x39 AK. AK building is my primary hobby.

Go buy a sense of humor, and stuff your personal attacks up your ass Shithead.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top