Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 1/30/2005 2:20:50 PM EDT
Shot 250rnds of wolf .308 today through my new Saiga. i was sighting in the scope at 25 yards. the ammo is VERY inconsistant. in fact today was the first time i knew i was outshooting my ammo!

i was using a BSA 8-32x mildot scope.

shooting from the bench i could usually get about 3 of 7 into a sub moa group, but the rest would be "flyers" (group would open up to 3-5 inches). made it hard to sight in the rifle but after about 80-100 rnds i had it pretty well sighted in. i decided to not even try to get it sighted in at 100 yards becuase the ammo.

i am usually a big supporter of wolf and its all i shoot through my AK's but i will not be buying any more of there .308. besides i need brass to start reloading.
Link Posted: 2/1/2005 7:07:32 AM EDT
Wolf is good in 7.62x39. I will not use any of the other calibers that wolf offers.
Link Posted: 2/5/2005 6:13:21 PM EDT
I just bought two boxes to test run in my FALs. I have a 16" badger barrel that has been giving me a lot of trouble. I believe it is chambered 308 vs 7.62x51. I've opened up the gas port, but it still is problematic.

Anyway, I'm looking for cheap .308 for function checks until I get this thing unscrewed.
Link Posted: 2/6/2005 6:46:05 AM EDT
Omar, what countryis your surplus from? The 308 chamber can handle 7.62 nato as well as 308 win. But 308 win should not be used in a 7.62 nato chamber, because 308 win produces higher pressures and has a thinner case than 7.62. If your using Indian surplus it maybe the cause of your problems.
Link Posted: 2/6/2005 7:52:38 AM EDT
It's a DSA Badger barrel that I bought new and swapped into one of my pristine Imbel kits to make a shorty. I went up on the DSA site last night and checked, and it is .308 Win. There are some very slight dimensional differences in 308 and 7.62x51 that may be causing extraction issues.

A number of people on the FAL Files have reported problems with these barrels having "tight" chambers, which leads to failure to extract once about four or five rounds go down range. These are the only barrels that I've had problems with. I actually considered reaming it to 7.63x51, but I don't want to spend the money on it.

I actually have two of these barrels with identical problems and I have no doubt it's chamber related.

I won't shoot that Indian shit. Just Port, RG, Aussie surplus, plus good commercial US made .308 at this point in time.

I just mic'd the base of 308 Wolf at .469, throat at .3385; Win 308 at .469/3350; Port at .471/.3335; Aussie at .470/.3350 and RG at .468/.3375. I don't know how significant these dimensional differences are as a factor in ejecting the spent shell. I didn't take midlength measurement because I don't have a set of calipers handy at the moment, but that is probably the most criticle dimension to check.

All I really know is that any of my milspec chambers on my FALs give me NO trouble firing any 308 or milsurp. I also think I'll have extraction issue with the Wolf, due to the case size. Who knows, maybe it will do better.
Link Posted: 2/7/2005 5:07:10 PM EDT
if the 7.62x39 wolf ammo is berdan-primed, is it CORROSIVE or NON-Corrosive. ive read it both ways in two places. thanks for any help.
Link Posted: 2/7/2005 6:51:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/7/2005 6:51:20 PM EDT by legonas]
from wolfs website...

Wolf Centerfire Rifle Ammunition is 100% non-corrosive and features a boat tailed projectile design for maximum down range energy retention and improved accuracy.
www.wolfammo.com/1_rifle.htm

Link Posted: 2/12/2005 11:06:39 AM EDT
Get the South African surplus from AIM. I can get it for $0.17/round shipped in MI. AIM is in southern OH, so SC is probably comparable for shipping.

Wolf is cheap range fodder for when nothing else equivalent is available like the 5.56 NATO, IMO. I'm toying with the idea of trying their .40 S&W, but my BHP doesn't like weak loads.
Link Posted: 2/12/2005 11:26:53 AM EDT
187 has the right idea, just backwards. 7.62 is not meant for 308 saami chamber, 7.62 chambers eats all.
Link Posted: 2/13/2005 5:12:41 AM EDT
MisterPX, you are the one who is backwards. Nato chambers have looser tolerances which are fine for nato brass which have thicker walls than 308. Since 308 produces higher pressures and have thinner brass it could be dangerous to fire in a 7.62 Nato chamber. Fal files has a 3 page discussion in the ammo forum on this topic.
Link Posted: 2/13/2005 5:25:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/13/2005 5:41:16 PM EDT by MisterPX]
308 chambers are cut smaller, and as such may not fully function with 7.62 ammo.

As to your FAlfiles refernce, oooh, a whopping 5% . If you read the whole thread, you'd have seen that 7.62 chambers are larger. That's why some 7.62 surplus won't operate in a 308 saami chamber.
Link Posted: 3/3/2005 7:04:03 AM EDT

Originally Posted By MisterPX:
308 chambers are cut smaller, and as such may not fully function with 7.62 ammo.

As to your FAlfiles refernce, oooh, a whopping 5% . If you read the whole thread, you'd have seen that 7.62 chambers are larger. That's why some 7.62 surplus won't operate in a 308 saami chamber.

You are right about the chambers being cut. However, you are not right about the 7.62 "eating it all" If you have a 7.62 chamber you should ONLY shoot 7.62 ammo in them. If you have a 308 chamber, by theroy, 7.62 ammo may or may not work.

In practice, the only difference in 308 and 7.62 is the thickness of the brass case, not different dimentions in the case. There *could* be some differences in case demention but most if not all countries make their 7.62 ammo where it fits in 308 specs. If you are in doubt, get a 308 case gage and gage your surplus. If the surplus fits in the case gage (and 95 to 100% will) then you don;t have to worry about firing it in a 308 chamber.

The reason that you don't want to fire 308 in a chamber that is headspaced to 7.62 is because the brass on 308 is normally thinner then 7.62 brass. Since there is less brass and the 7.62 chamber is headspaced larger, the brass streatchs more on firing, increasing the risk of case head seperation and damage to the rifle/shooter.

The common solution to this is to have your rifle headspaced so it will accept both 308 and 7.62 ammo. IIRC the specs should be right around 1.634 headspace for both to be accepted.

Many articals have been written about this subject and there is a lot of mis-information floating around out there so I'll stop here. I'll let everyone out there do a little reaserch on their own and read all about it.

Link Posted: 3/12/2005 9:38:15 PM EDT
WOLF BLOWS big time in my experience.

Bad news WOLF AMMUNITION - 7.62 hollow point

March 2005 received 1000 rounds from Cabalas Plus two metal ammo cans.
The Cans are pretty decent. The whole deal including shipping was $88.94 The Cans were the best part of the deal....

Hell of good deal - until I shot the WOLF HP. Jam, Jam, Jam.

Every single Box of 20 rounds had at least one substantially SHORT bullet in it - so short it wouldn't load out of the magazine. I fired 5 boxes (100 rounds) ALL had failures. Afterward I inspected 5 more boxes (100 additional rounds). Terrible inconsistency between rounds - apparently wolf is your typical Russian company - unmotived to produce a quality product, no quality control.

I will NEVER EVER TRUST WOLF AMMO FOR SELF DEFENSE .... NOT RELIABLE!!!

I'll endure the jams and shoot up this junk up at the range, but NEVER buy Wolf again. It really isn't even good enough for the range.
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 4:45:53 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Progunvoter:
WOLF BLOWS big time in my experience.

Bad news WOLF AMMUNITION - 7.62 hollow point

March 2005 received 1000 rounds from Cabalas Plus two metal ammo cans.
The Cans are pretty decent. The whole deal including shipping was $88.94 The Cans were the best part of the deal....

Hell of good deal - until I shot the WOLF HP. Jam, Jam, Jam.

Every single Box of 20 rounds had at least one substantially SHORT bullet in it - so short it wouldn't load out of the magazine. I fired 5 boxes (100 rounds) ALL had failures. Afterward I inspected 5 more boxes (100 additional rounds). Terrible inconsistency between rounds - apparently wolf is your typical Russian company - unmotived to produce a quality product, no quality control.

I will NEVER EVER TRUST WOLF AMMO FOR SELF DEFENSE .... NOT RELIABLE!!!

I'll endure the jams and shoot up this junk up at the range, but NEVER buy Wolf again. It really isn't even good enough for the range.

You seem to have experienced the abnormality, rather than teh norm.. Also, No one in their right mind would use plinking ammo for self defense. The fact that you would even consider it makes me wonder.
Top Top