Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 9/12/2005 4:00:35 PM EDT
I wanna build my first AK, and am thinking maybe from a flat----any suggestions---would be appreciated---is it super hard, should I just go with a standard receiver already setup?---thanks all
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 4:04:36 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I wanna build my first AK, and am thinking maybe from a flat----any suggestions---would be appreciated---is it super hard, should I just go with a standard receiver already setup?---thanks all

+1
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 5:35:47 PM EDT
[#2]
I thought I had posted in this thread earlier... perhaps my post got lost or the Mods deleted it on me?

Anyways, let me try again...

Bending a Flat is not real difficult as long as you have a jig.  A flat bending jig will cost you about $150 or so and they will require a Hydralic press to bend (say $110 purchase).  After you bend the flat you need to bend over the top rails.  After the top rails are bent you need to trim the front and rear area of the receiver so that the trunion will fit.  Next you need to trim the area just forward of the rear trunion to allow the bolt/carrier to drop into the receiver.  The last two things that need to be done is to weld or bolt the lower rails into the receiver and attach the center support.

Wow, sounds complicated but in reality this can be done in a few hours with practice....  I do have pics of the process to build a tutorial but darned work and family have kept me from getting the images done.  Now, I have also been renting out my flat bending jig and that may help the cost factor...  I had a post here on the forums but I need to do it again as it has dropped off the bottom...

Until I get time to make a new post here you can see it on my site:

www.quarterbore.net/forums/showthread.php?t=510
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 5:46:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Here is the post that I thought I had posted here...

ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=4&f=51&t=75462

In that thread is a more complete list of steps needed to build an AK including one from a flat...

Oh yea, I never answered therest of your question....

I like the Tapco flats but I am doing a build right now on a flat that I think I got from ak-builder.com that is also looking very nice.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 6:48:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Nodakspud has the best quality flats, but the Tapco's are great too.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 8:58:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 9:58:10 PM EDT
[#6]
building from a flat is a PITA while you are working on it, but very rewarding when you are done. To borrow a phrase:  Just Do It.
bBy one extra flat so you won't be delayed if you screw up the first one. They're cheap and you can always buy another kit if you are lucky and the first flat turns out right. You can't have enough AKs.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 10:51:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Actually the best flats I have seen thus far are from Ak-Builder.  There are NO rivet holes.  THis allows you to correctly drill your reciever for your trunion.  Not some generic flat that is predrilled.
The tapcos have an extra hole and the TG holes are off .060", and on harlans flat the rivet holes are off slightly.  I have tried both and prefer harlans over Tapco, but for accuarcy of rivet hole placement Ak-Builders flats get my vote.
Don't take my word for it though, get one and try it for yourself. If you can use a dial caliper, you can layout rivet holes.  Curtis also has a good set of instruction on how to do this.
Dave
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 5:36:17 AM EDT
[#8]
Oh, I had assumed Curtis got his flats from Harlan.  I haven't used his, so I can't make a "best" statement. All I can say is out of Tapco and Nodakspud, Nodakspud's are better quality.
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top