Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 6/26/2003 4:19:08 PM EDT
id like to do the same thing as ak-usa did with thier saiga rifles and highlight the stamped lettering with white. does anyone know how to do this properly? i did it on my ar-15 with a lot of cursing, but that method would not work at all ont he ak's lightly stamped letters
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 4:40:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 5:25:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Testers model paint and a brush that is cut down to just a few bristles, works okay if you have the patients.

Mike
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 5:46:09 PM EDT
[#4]
hell yea! thanks guys. can you belive i used white model paint and a tooth pick to do my ar? lol
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 4:21:48 AM EDT
[#5]
I have done it in the past using the Scrimshaw techinque of first covering the whole area with wax. (a blow dryer melts it just enough to control the spread) Allow the wax to harden. Then using a sharp (in the case of guns a wooden stylus) scraping the wax completely out of the lettering. Then painting the letter with model paint. Once it has dried over night, use the blow dryer to melt the wax and wipe it off. The paint that was slopped over the edge of the letters comes off with the wax. The only caution I have is to be sure that you COMPLETELY clean out the letters.
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 8:22:57 AM EDT
[#6]
I did my Bushmaster today after finding this for ryan163 last night. I got to reading the article myself and thought it would be easy and make the AR look cool.

I used white for the logo, serial #, "safe" and the address.

I used red on the "fire" position.

It was very easy to do provided you follow his instructions. Clean it well with alcohol prior to starting. You have to "scrub" the grease pencil into the lettering, making sure to fill the depression completely.

It takes a little elbow grease to clean all the grease pencil off the AR when you're done. Never fear the cloudy white comes right off with CLP.

I have pictures but I can't post here. If someone want's to host them I'll e-mail.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top