Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 10/22/2004 10:31:49 AM EDT
I plan on shooting my new build quite a lot, so I was wondering which folding stock works the best i.e. cheek weld, ergonomics, sturdiness. Also needs to be readily available please. Thanks in advance for your opinions.
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 10:38:02 AM EDT
[#1]
The nonfolding wood kind.
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 11:01:34 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 11:15:42 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 11:53:02 AM EDT
[#4]
I read the post wrong sorry
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 11:53:05 AM EDT
[#5]
I have an Ace Folding Stock on my Sar1, that has to be the sturdiest thing, best cheek weld stock other than plastic around. Also have the Romanian on side folder on my Wasr10.
Picture of stocks open

stocks closed

I like the controls of the Romanian a little better than the Ace though. The Ace stock, while sturdy as hell, has a camming lock that is a pain to fold.
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 1:00:39 PM EDT
[#6]
what about the newer ak74m folding stock that looks the same as a fixed stock? Where can I get one of those w/trunion. Ive seen the ones on Tantals site and I'm waiting for price and avilability info.
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 1:09:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Yep, that would be the correct answer. I have changed out several wood stocks for Romy side folders, because they work as well for me as the wood, but some people have figured out that thier ugliness makes them poor performers. Being thick headed I still use what works best for me rather than what look best on my gun.

do you mean you like the folder or the fixed???hinking.gif
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 1:11:57 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:
The nonfolding wood kind.

Yep, that would be the correct answer. I have changed out several wood stocks for Romy side folders, because they work as well for me as the wood, but some people have figured out that thier ugliness makes them poor performers. Being thick headed I still use what works best for me rather than what look best on my gun.

do you like the folder or the fixed???
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 1:15:25 PM EDT
[#9]
I like these better.

More comfortable than the romanian side folder...and more practical.
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 1:17:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 1:23:48 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I prefer the Romy Folder, but only because it is awfully convienient. I have never found the Fixed stocks on an AK to be all that great as far as checkweld etc. The wire folder seems to work just about as well.

What I am saying is that you are really not giving up much as far as ergonomics go. If you really want a folding stock and can live with thier looks the Romanian side folders are hard to beat, and install in secoonds.

Of course all of this is solely my opinion, no more or less.

I like the looks, but that thin steel rod doesn't look like it would be condusive to proper sight alignment or be too comfortable..... sorry for the messed up quote earlier, I'm at work and three people are talking to me at once
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 1:27:16 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I like these better.

www.thirdgen.org/rides/rideimages/akextended1.jpg

www.thirdgen.org/rides/rideimages/akcollapsed.jpg

Hey my fellow hillbilly. Sorry, I dont like the AR look on an AK, but the ultimak is AWESOME. go figure.
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 1:32:17 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I like these better.

www.thirdgen.org/rides/rideimages/akextended1.jpg

www.thirdgen.org/rides/rideimages/akcollapsed.jpg

Seems like your only shortening the gun by an inch or so. Looks cool though. What top forearm cover you got on there?

Link Posted: 10/22/2004 1:50:47 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 6:27:05 PM EDT
[#15]
Thats an ultimak rail. I am trying to find the red-dot I want for it.

It shortens the gun quiet a bit when it is collapsed. But can still be easily shouldered if I needed to fire it in a hurry. And it would be much easier to throw it up and shoot an accurate shot than to shoot with a stock folded. A lot of people on here don't like the ARized ak's but I do. I didn't get it to make it look like an AR...just got it because I like the way they function better than a regular side folder.
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 7:52:16 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Thats an ultimak rail. I am trying to find the red-dot I want for it.

It shortens the gun quiet a bit when it is collapsed. But can still be easily shouldered if I needed to fire it in a hurry. And it would be much easier to throw it up and shoot an accurate shot than to shoot with a stock folded. A lot of people on here don't like the ARized ak's but I do. I didn't get it to make it look like an AR...just got it because I like the way they function better than a regular side folder.

I must admit looks pretty cool.
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 12:39:44 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Triangular Bulgarian sidefolder.

+1
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 10:34:26 AM EDT
[#18]
Hey guys...I am thinking about putting a Romy sidefolder on my WASR...a couple of questions...

Where's the best place to get a side-folder & how much$$$?

How hard is it to get the woodie off (unfortunate wording here)?

What hardware is needed to install the sidefolder (what kid of screws or whatever)?

Thanks to the kind soul who has info...

Link Posted: 10/24/2004 3:54:20 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Hey guys...I am thinking about putting a Romy sidefolder on my WASR...a couple of questions...

Where's the best place to get a side-folder & how much$$$?

How hard is it to get the woodie off (unfortunate wording here)?

What hardware is needed to install the sidefolder (what kid of screws or whatever)?

Thanks to the kind soul who has info...

I bought mine from www.k-var.com for $60.
But I think www.gunsnstuffonline.com/ has them for less.

To remove the wood stock on the Wasr, I prefer the dirty laundry bag technique...
1. Make sure firearm is unloaded.
2. Disassemble firearm (Top cover, bolt, bolt carrier, recoil spring)
3. Remove 2 screws that screw the wood stock in.
4. Find a full laundry bag, preferably dirty laundry, you can substitute your bed, couch (don't let the wife, girlfriend, significant other see you), padded carpeted stairwell, etc.
5. Grasp gun by barrel.
6. Beat all four sides of the butstock alternately on laundry bag, bed, couch, padded stairwell, etc. You will here a slapping sound if you are doing it right.
7. Stock will wiggle off.
8. Drink beer.

Once the screws are removed, if you have workshop, you could also put the gun in a padded vice and use a rubber mallet to knock on all four sides of the butstock to get it off. But I find the laundry bag technique is easier.

To install the Romanian stock...
1. Slide the stock into the receiver.
2. Tighten 2 screws.
3. Drink beer.

Edited for grammer, sum spelling, and alcohol use.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 4:11:56 PM EDT
[#20]
I should add that I hear that GunsNstuff may not provide the screws or correct screw with the stock. K-Var does. I'd ask if you order from them. If that is the case go post on the AK-47 general discussion forum or Romanian AK forum and someone will be able to tell what size screws you need to buy from your local hardware store.

Also I'm very interested in the stock shown on this website www.ak47.com/ (click on the picture of the Ak for details) but now that I have over $800 invested in my Sar1, I'm not sure I can justify the price w/o buying a 3rd AK.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top