Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 8/10/2007 7:06:36 AM EDT
going to the gun show saturday, which AK47 is the one to have?? or not have??? thank-you for any help...
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 7:14:40 AM EDT
AK-47s are expensive...

you looking for an AK-47 semi auto clone?

question is too broad.
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 7:17:19 AM EDT
I'd stay away from a WASR unless you just get a real good deal on one.....
as far as what to get....1)Arsenal
2)Vepr
3)Vector Arms
4)Lancaster
5)Yugo M-70
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 7:18:22 AM EDT
nah, Polytech would be/is my choice.

You could do lots worst but not much better

Link Posted: 8/10/2007 7:24:17 AM EDT
Best value would be a Yugo underfolder, if you like them. Should be mid 400's. A little heavier than usual due to the burly parts (RPK receiver, thicker barrel), but one of my favorites for the price.

A milled AK of any type is cool, if you can find one.

I've been considering a Yugo RPK, if you would like to try something a little larger.

And of course, the quality brands others have mentioned like the Arsenals and Vectors...

Happy Hunting! Make sure to save money for ammo!
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 7:26:29 AM EDT
Century Arms Yugo M70

Cheaper than Vector by a bit, and cheaper than Arsenal by far, with a 50% thicker receiver than your standard stamped receiver AK.

VEPRs are built on similar receivers, just not sure how they stack up pricewise. There may also be some interchangeability issues with the VEPR in terms of stocks and handguards, but Im not sure, perhaps a VEPR owner will chime in as to whether or not this is correct.
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 7:26:42 AM EDT
get a vector arms AK great quality for around $500 and it wont have century stamped on the side
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 7:30:39 AM EDT

Originally Posted By graywolf:
going to the gun show saturday, which AK47 is the one to have?? or not have??? thank-you for any help...

You'll have a hard time getting any descent opinions here w/o more detailed info about what you want (full stock, underfolder, etc.) and what price range you're tied to. Most of the newbs here, that ask your same general question every few days (hint hint), have a price range from $400 - $700, so I'l assume that you do too.

Anyway, gun shows tend to have more run-of-the-mill AK's, and less of the higher quality stuff. Assuming the price range I mentioned is accurate for you, see if you can find a Vector or one of Lancaster's Polish AK's. They put together a pretty good underfolder. If you are willing and able to drop a few more Benjamin's, then look for a milled receiver Arsenal (SAM7, SASM7, etc.)

Whatever you buy, be sure to look the rifle over really well for fit and finish. If you buy an underfolder, make sure the mechanism is tight and functions properly.
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 8:09:09 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Tactical_T:

You'll have a hard time getting any descent opinions here w/o more detailed info about what you want (full stock, underfolder, etc.) and what price range you're tied to. Most of the newbs here, that ask your same general question every few days (hint hint), have a price range from $400 - $700, so I'l assume that you do too.

Anyway, gun shows tend to have more run-of-the-mill AK's, and less of the higher quality stuff. Assuming the price range I mentioned is accurate for you, see if you can find a Vector or one of Lancaster's Polish AK's. They put together a pretty good underfolder. If you are willing and able to drop a few more Benjamin's, then look for a milled receiver Arsenal (SAM7, SASM7, etc.)

Whatever you buy, be sure to look the rifle over really well for fit and finish. If you buy an underfolder, make sure the mechanism is tight and functions properly.
I just wanted to know what to stay away from
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 8:10:37 AM EDT
Get a Saiga.
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 8:15:30 AM EDT
For the money, it is tough to beat a Yugo M70.
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 9:38:30 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/10/2007 9:39:11 AM EDT by Tactical_T]

Stay away from WASR's and any other AK's that do not look to be put together very well. Make sure all the furniture is fitted well to the receiver and do a few trigger pulls to feel how smooth it is after a weapon charge. The problem is the some AK builders put them together will all kinds of parts from various countries/manufactureres. Just take your time and don't rush into buying anything.
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 9:52:07 AM EDT

Originally Posted By BB:
Get a Saiga.

I 2nd that.
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 10:19:34 AM EDT
thank-you for the imput
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 1:07:25 PM EDT
seriously though, my vote is for Vector.

was my first AK, but not my last. Great guns, great price, and a great warrenty
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 1:27:21 PM EDT
Local Dunham's, and maybe all Dunham's, have a variety of WASRs at around $229. Too much?
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 1:56:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/10/2007 1:57:04 PM EDT by Mak]
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 2:16:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/10/2007 2:17:34 PM EDT by XM15e2sGreenBay]
WRONG, the WASR10's were manufactured to accept HIGH CAPS. * I know - Since I own one* in the Wisconsin area they go for around 350.00 ish., wood stock is a bit cheaper. do your home work, ok.

Originally Posted By Mak:

Originally Posted By mongo001:
Local Dunham's, and maybe all Dunham's, have a variety of WASRs at around $229. Too much?

single stack....don't take hi-caps. To get them to take hi-caps you have to file the mag well and then install the correct US compliance parts at additional cost.
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 2:21:44 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Tactical_T:

Stay away from WASR's and any other AK's that do not look to be put together very well. Make sure all the furniture is fitted well to the receiver and do a few trigger pulls to feel how smooth it is after a weapon charge. The problem is the some AK builders put them together will all kinds of parts from various countries/manufactureres. Just take your time and don't rush into buying anything.

well, that rules out the AK......better spent money on a SKS.
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 2:50:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/10/2007 2:52:07 PM EDT by Mak]
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 2:54:15 PM EDT

Originally Posted By XM15e2sGreenBay:
WRONG, the WASR10's were manufactured to accept HIGH CAPS. * I know - Since I own one* in the Wisconsin area they go for around 350.00 ish., wood stock is a bit cheaper. do your home work, ok.

single stack....don't take hi-caps. To get them to take hi-caps you have to file the mag well and then install the correct US compliance parts at additional cost.

The $229ish WASR's at Dunham's are most likely single stacks and the $349+ ones are double-stack rifles.

Link Posted: 8/10/2007 2:58:49 PM EDT

you are the one thats in fact wrong.

WASRs were ALL made/manufactured as low cap rifles.

SOME had their mag wells dremeled out so they could accept high caps. Century is responsible for the dremel job.

if they were not made as low caps and imported as such, they would not be able to enter the US. Period.
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 3:19:23 PM EDT
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 3:22:05 PM EDT
Plus one on the Yugo M70.
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 8:40:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/10/2007 8:41:16 PM EDT by XM15e2sGreenBay]
ah, what ever....no matter what anyone here says, they are wrong & you are gonna be right. let me guess you used to be a school yard bully, right ? Always impossing your will on others.....

Dieter122,

You are exactly right. No WASR is imported into the US as a Hi-cap rifle. Which means none of the WASRs in the US were manufactured to accept hi-cap mags. They are milled out after arriving in the US and not all of them are sold as hi-cap rifles but are lo-cap rifles, like the $229.00 lo-cap rifles at Dunham's.
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 8:50:03 PM EDT

ah, what ever....no matter what anyone here says, they are wrong & you are gonna be right. let me guess you used to be a school yard bully, right ? Always impossing your will on others.....

Dieter122,

You are exactly right. No WASR is imported into the US as a Hi-cap rifle. Which means none of the WASRs in the US were manufactured to accept hi-cap mags. They are milled out after arriving in the US and not all of them are sold as hi-cap rifles but are lo-cap rifles, like the $229.00 lo-cap rifles at Dunham's.

hardly ever a bully... no

sorry but when someone here posts mis-information and claims its true, and I know better, I must speak up.

What you stated was incorrect, I am simply correcting you. Live with it, and learn the new info thats all. This is assistance.
Link Posted: 8/11/2007 6:38:16 AM EDT
Vector for the $500 range.

Arsenal or Polytech if you want to spend a good deal more.

The Yugo isn't bad - but I'd take a Vector over it. Still better than a WASR though.
Link Posted: 8/11/2007 10:23:36 AM EDT
You guys like the Vectors even though they don't chrome line anymore?
Link Posted: 8/11/2007 10:47:28 AM EDT
got the yugo M70 thanks for the suggestions
Link Posted: 8/11/2007 11:27:09 PM EDT
ok, I can live with that, I appologize, Peace ? truce ?

Originally Posted By Dieter122:

Dieter122,

hardly ever a bully... no

sorry but when someone here posts mis-information and claims its true, and I know better, I must speak up.

What you stated was incorrect, I am simply correcting you. Live with it, and learn the new info thats all. This is assistance.
Link Posted: 8/11/2007 11:31:32 PM EDT
Vecter
Vepr
Saiga
Link Posted: 8/12/2007 6:32:21 AM EDT
There are no more good AK's out there except for Arsenal, and you will pay for those.

1) Vector barrels are now made by green mountain with no chrome
2) Saigas cannot except hi-cap magazines excepts those made by atlantic firearms since they lack the bullet feedramp, and its still illegal to use atlantic mags without doing a conversion.
3) Most Century AK's have the infamous canted front sight and no chrome barrels
4) Veprs made by atlantic have screwed in bullet feedramps which are prone to failure and you could buy an Arsenal for almost the same price.

In conclusion the only game in town is arsenal, and I can buy a really nice AR for that price. Now that all the parts kits are gone there is just nothing good left for us peasants.
Link Posted: 8/12/2007 7:03:06 AM EDT

Originally Posted By texasaggie:
There are no more good AK's out there except for Arsenal, and you will pay for those.

2) Saigas cannot except hi-cap magazines excepts those made by atlantic firearms since they lack the bullet feedramp, and its still illegal to use atlantic mags without doing a conversion.
4) Veprs made by atlantic have screwed in bullet feedramps which are prone to failure and you could buy an Arsenal for almost the same price.

In conclusion the only game in town is arsenal, and I can buy a really nice AR for that price. Now that all the parts kits are gone there is just nothing good left for us peasants.

Link Posted: 8/12/2007 8:59:03 AM EDT
Link Posted: 8/12/2007 9:07:43 AM EDT
Mak, the saiga built by redjacket for atlantic do have a screwed down feed ramp/bullet guide; that is probably what he is talking about.
Link Posted: 8/12/2007 9:38:08 AM EDT
Link Posted: 8/12/2007 10:40:08 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/12/2007 10:46:06 AM EDT by texasaggie]

Originally Posted By texasaggie:

Where do you guys come up with this stuff.

VEPRs made by Atlantic? I didn't know Atlantic had a factory in Russia.

Atlantic contracts out the conversions, the ones coming from Russia are in a sporter config. The sporting configurations do not accept hi cap mags, so the atlantic contractor screws a bullet guide to the front trunion, this screw-on design is not reliable and is prone to fatigue.

SAIGAs made by Atlantic? I own a couple of SAIGA rifles and nowhere do they say Atlantic Firearms on them. Mine says imported by Russian American Armory and made by IZHMACH IZHEVSK RUSSIA. Must be the Russian office of Atlantic Firearms.

You mis-interpretted my post, Atlantic makes hi cap mags for saigas since saigas can not accept hi cap mags. Saigas lack a bullet guide so if you try to use a hi-cap mag with it you will have feeding problems. To counter this, Atlantic makes special saiga mags that have the bullet guide built into them. On the other hand it is illegal to use these mags in a non-converted saiga.

My .308 accepts hi-cap mags but they were made by FBMG and that is in Utah, while Atlantic Firearms is in Maryland. I'm a bit confused here, FBMG must be the Western office of Atlantic Firearms.

I don't know that Atlantic Firearms makes or modifies any firearm themselves. They post here frequently and this is the first I have heard that they are now building firearms and manufacturing firearms parts.

The don't, they contract it out. Robarms is out of the Vepr business, so Atlantic is contracting the conversion out. Just ask them on the industry forum, thats what I did.

You don't need to do a pistol grip conversion to use hi-cap mags in a Saiga if you don't want to. You just have to reduce the number of imported parts below 10. Now if a Saiga has 14 countable parts then you have to replace 4 parts with US parts to use hi-caps. Gas piston and a US mag or gas piston, hammer mag follower and baseplate will do the job. Install a bullet guide and file down the mag catch and it is legal without doing a complete conversion.

A screw on bullet guide is a compromise, if you want the proper guide installed it must be riveted, and this is no small task.

The conversion of the Saiga is straight forward and anyone should be able to do it with a bit of research and with less than $400.00 you can have a decent Russian AK.

All the parts kits are gone???? Still Romanian, Polish Tantal, Virgin M70 Stamped, Hungarian AMD-65, Hungarian AMMS under folding, Bulgarian Krinkov, Polish AKMS, Bulgarian AK-74 and AK-74S kits. Check out Copes Distributing and Ohio Rapid Fire.

Copes polish kits are known to show a good deal of wear (good kits all gone) and are not new by any means, romanian kits are way down on the quality list (canted front sights), I'm not about to buy an AK-74/tantal and get stuck with it once the bastard surplus ammo is gone. Krinkov kits are hard to find for less than $600 now, and ORF hasn't had 47 kits in for a while now (except for Yugo no chrome).

Century rifles have canted sights and no chrome barrels? Incorrect. The Century Yugo rifles are now being made without chromelined barrels, but the Century imported rifles have chromelined barrels.

Century canted sights? Yes, some Century Romanian rifles have had canted sights, but none of mine do. If you inspect the rifle before purchasing and do your research first then you don't need to buy one with canted sites.

Hard to inspect a mail order kit though

Link Posted: 8/12/2007 1:10:07 PM EDT
texasaggie,
I did not misunderstand your post. You are right, there are no more good AKs (currently manufactured) out there except for Arsenal.
AK without hammer forged chrome lined barrel ...
Saiga and Vepr are just semi-auto FUDD guns.
No need to mention that POS by Century.
Link Posted: 8/12/2007 3:28:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/12/2007 3:37:21 PM EDT by Mak]
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 8:59:18 PM EDT
Here's my top 10 AKs

1) Arsenal

2) Polytech

3) Arsenal

4) Polytech

5) Arsenal

6) Polytech

7) Arsenal

8) Polytech

9) Arsenal

10) Polytech

Any of the above will serve you well
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 9:58:22 AM EDT

You have chosen wisely.

Have fun!
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 12:04:35 PM EDT
My top Choice in Kalashnikovs, Three Valmets, A M76 .223,a M76 .308, a M78 .308 All with wood stocks, one Polytech AKS with spike, One Arsenal SLR 105 that is do to be UN Nuterd, One Century M70 AB2, One Virgin Yugo M72 RPK with my Birthdate as Ser #, Three Yugo M92 SBRs with Consecutive Ser# and Cans being built as I wright, Two as factory underfolders and one with a Russian side folder, And my Favorite, Preban Mitchell M77 Sniper in .308 with factory ZRAK scope. My next buys are going to be a Rapid Fire Yugo M76 in 8MM, A Arsenal SLR 106 and a Arsenal SAM 7 when I find one! In that order. I just Love Kalashnikovs, and also I on the list is an AMD-65
Best Regards,
Chefgun,

We May Not Allways Agree,But We Will Allways Be Friends
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 1:17:33 PM EDT
height=8
You have chosen wisely.

Have fun!

I agree, for the money yugo's are hard to beat!

They're Beefier!
Top Top