Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 3/22/2006 4:36:38 AM EDT
harbor frieght is fresh out in my area.  # stores and all are out and will be many many weeks before they get more.  Seems like to me 100 bucks is a pretty average price for a 12 ton non-fancy press but where else can i get one?  Lowes? and that is teh only place i can think of.  Woudl love to pick on up!
Jimmy
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 5:05:39 AM EDT
[#1]
Harbor Fr. is your best bet.
the one by my house usually restocks pretty quick.
give them a few days.
theres a 20% off printable coupon floating around online here somewhere.

BTW, the 12 ton is all you need for you builds, mine was onsale w/coupon--$85
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 5:12:23 AM EDT
[#2]
yeah my bad with the 16 ton.  I was not thinking.  They told me that they have not had them in for about  month and do not think they will have one in for another month.  Who else woudl even sell them?  I am half tempted to buy the 6 ton and see if i can get away with it.  But if i can not i have waisted all that money becouse i have no other use for it.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 5:22:10 AM EDT
[#3]
I have seen guys use the 6 ton, i'm sure it will work fine---i found that the hardest part is pressing out the barrel pin.
if you plan on more than a few builds, you might be sorry you did'nt go with the 12ton
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 6:23:52 AM EDT
[#4]
Go to their website & buy one from there.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 9:08:30 AM EDT
[#5]
Do you live near any of these guys?

www.homier.com
www.cumminstools.com/
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 1:34:10 PM EDT
[#6]
I was going to say "homier" too.  They have travelling tool sales, check to see when one will be in your area.  They have a very inexpensive 12 ton press.  I think it's around $50 IIRC.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 1:37:26 PM EDT
[#7]
if you were not going to be buying one from a primary online place.  I looked at homier and cummings and they are not close at all.  What traditional stores have them?  Where would someone go if they needed one right now?  Amazon.com has them cheap but shipping is 80 bucks.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 1:53:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Norther Tool would be my second choice behind Harbor Freight.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 1:55:42 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
if you were not going to be buying one from a primary online place.  I looked at homier and cummings and they are not close at all.  What traditional stores have them?  Where would someone go if they needed one right now?  Amazon.com has them cheap but shipping is 80 bucks.

Is there some reason you don't want to order from HF online?  The shipping will be $9 or something...
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 1:59:51 PM EDT
[#10]
i read there shipping info.  They will only charge 10 bucks for a product that weighs 122lbs?  I find that hard to believe
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 2:04:43 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 2:08:34 PM EDT
[#12]
wow, that is crazy cheap shipping.  Guess i will just have to order it online.  I sort of wanted the instant gratification but guess ill have to wait......  
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 2:11:20 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
i read there shipping info.  They will only charge 10 bucks for a product that weighs 122lbs?  I find that hard to believe

It's true.  I once ordered a transmission jack, an engine stand, a hydraulic press, and a tool chest set in the same order.  Shipping was some trivial amount ($10 or so).  Believe it.  The only exception is items that are labled "truck item".
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 3:08:03 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
The only exception is items that are labled "truck item".

I like items that take that label...  
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 2:12:23 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It's true.  I once ordered a transmission jack, an engine stand, a hydraulic press, and a tool chest set in the same order.  Shipping was some trivial amount ($10 or so).  Believe it.  The only exception is items that are labled "truck item".

the reason they do that is because the price of shipping is already included on thier online price. thats why the same EXACT press from homier costs 50$ and harbor freight costs 100$ or so. because homier will charge you actual shipping bringing the cost up to around 110, and harbor freight just charges the flat rate 10$, making both items cost the same.

i just got my press from homier yesterday. the box was tore to hell and one of the arbor plates and 3 nuts were missing. the nuts were easy to fix but the plate?
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 2:22:44 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
i just got my press from homier yesterday. the box was tore to hell and one of the arbor plates and 3 nuts were missing. the nuts were easy to fix but the plate?

Yeah, I've had this problem with HF before.  They'll put a 60# item loose in a single-wall carton with some peanuts.  Who would have guessed that the 60# item busts through the wall and all you receive is the broken box and some peanuts.    When it happens, HF is good about replacing the items/parts.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 2:40:53 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 4:25:52 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, I've had this problem with HF before.  They'll put a 60# item loose in a single-wall carton with some peanuts.  Who would have guessed that the 60# item busts through the wall and all you receive is the broken box and some peanuts.    When it happens, HF is good about replacing the items/parts.

My press came missing all of the assembly hardware, plates and support pins.  They were backordered for 3 months!

Mine was missing some bolts and the bottle jack. But it came with 2 mistery parts: a car shock absorber and a motor cycle type chain. I think UPS had something to do with that.... (came in 2 packages, 1 came on the promised date and the other came a day later in a new UPS box.)
Took about alittle over a month to get it.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 6:48:11 AM EDT
[#19]
anyone know if the Northern Tool 12 ton press has the same 1" ram diameter as the HF 12 ton press?
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top