Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Romanian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 8/30/2010 12:42:41 PM EDT
Were can i buy one of these rifles that have a threaded muzzle and how much are they???
Link Posted: 8/30/2010 7:04:03 PM EDT
[#1]
To my knowledge, SAR1's never had threaded muzzles and are no longer imported so your only options are the EE here or on other boards, your local papers classified or where I found mine about 5 years ago, a pawn shop. Mine was in original condition when I found it but since then I've threaded the muzzle and changed a few things. I like all my AK's but the SAR1 is one of my favorites.

Link Posted: 9/3/2010 4:07:25 PM EDT
[#2]
As the poster above mentioned, SAR-1s never had a threaded muzzle.  They were imported from 2000-2004 during the ban when such things were verboten.  Some however have the muzzle threaded by a gunsmith.

The SAR-1 is probably my favorite AK, and I've had several ranging from a Hungarian SA-85, a couple of Polish Underfolders, Romy G-Kits, and Yugos.  I got rid of them all except my SAR-1 and a Yugo.  One of the best things about the SAR-1 is how close it is to an original Romanian Military AK.   It has a cold hammer forged Romanian barrel and the receiver is Cugir Arsenal made, not an American reverse engineered copy.

Only thing I'd recommend on an SAR-1 is to pull the FCG out and replace it.  The US compliance FCG Century used tends to have trigger slap.  It is an cheap and easily replaced part, and removes one of the only big issues on the SAR-1.  I used a Tapco G2...
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 10:39:27 AM EDT
[#3]
My understanding is the SAR-1 were Regular Romanian Military rifles. Century bought them as semi so no FCG installed nor the selector markings labeled. The bayonet lug "ears" were ground down, and the threads for the brake were milled off. All these mods made them "safe" for us Americans. There is something about the "X" and "Y" stampings too, I just dont know too much about that aspect. I have a 2001 build that has a RSA trigger installed. That rifle is a keeper.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 6:33:36 PM EDT
[#4]
My SAR1 is my go to AK in 7.62x39, I have fired probably 8-10 thousand rounds with only 1 stoppage. The Red Star trigger makes it a keeper. Expect to pay $500 to $550 range for an un-altered specimen. Don't sweat the unthreaded barrel, it's no big deal. If you just have to have a muzzle device find a good smith & have it done.
Page AK-47 » Romanian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top