Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 8/23/2011 8:51:31 PM EDT
What should i look for....any specific makers that are better than others?
Link Posted: 8/23/2011 9:37:53 PM EDT
[#1]
First there are 2 styles; top feeders and back loaders. Top feeders are generally less desirable. These are Russian and Romainian typically but I think other countries made them.

For a long time the only rear load drums were Chinese, and these are generally well regarded. Most will have a triangle 36 stamped into the rear cover. In recent years copies of the Chinese have been made, or claim to have been made, places other than China. At least one batch proved to be Chinese. The Korean version isn't well regarded but I have no experience with them.

My advice would be to spend the money and get an original Chinese.
Link Posted: 8/23/2011 10:27:45 PM EDT
[#2]
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_4_55/137378_Korean_75_rd_drums__Garbage_product_.html
Link Posted: 8/24/2011 4:53:45 AM EDT
[#3]
Dont understand why people diss the real deal top loaders and favor the cheesy mickey mouse drums.

Go for a Romanian or Russian if you can find one. The Russian will have serial #'s stamped on them.

These are actual military items and are built like tanks.........Only smaller.

Thumb breakers are easy to load when you know how.
Link Posted: 8/24/2011 6:23:53 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Dont understand why people diss the real deal top loaders and favor the cheesy mickey mouse drums.

Go for a Romanian or Russian if you can find one. The Russian will have serial #'s stamped on them.

These are actual military items and are built like tanks.........Only smaller.

Thumb breakers are easy to load when you know how.

X2
Link Posted: 8/24/2011 6:54:47 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
cheesy mickey mouse drums.

Can't say I agree w/ you on that statement. There is nothing wrong with a Chinese Drum, and quite honestly the Chinese Drums have been the most popular over the years in mass volumes. Of course there are other good quality drums, but in no way shap or form are the Chinese variants sub standard.
Link Posted: 8/24/2011 7:05:45 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Quoted:

Can't say I agree w/ you on that statement. There is nothing wrong with a Chinese Drum, and quite honestly the Chinese Drums have been the most popular over the years in mass volumes to the American market. Of course there are other good quality drums, but in no way shap or form are the Chinese variants sub standard.

FIFY. They never saw action afaik.
Cheesy as in I dont care for the operation or straight vertical look.
Mickey mouse as the windup key looks like mickeys ears.
The Russian/Romanians are built better/heavier.
Plus, they look correct on RPK's and such.
Nah.....

Correct!

Link Posted: 8/24/2011 7:18:07 AM EDT
[#7]
I'm sure either/or will suit you fine for the application. Aside from function, most drum mags are well-built, and anything else in the equation is just personal preference and it's 'value'(whatever that means to you)

I have heard nothing good about Korean made drum mags so far, though.
Link Posted: 8/25/2011 6:24:03 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Can't say I agree w/ you on that statement. There is nothing wrong with a Chinese Drum, and quite honestly the Chinese Drums have been the most popular over the years in mass volumes to the American market. Of course there are other good quality drums, but in no way shap or form are the Chinese variants sub standard.

Nah.....

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTIgITW5LVd-Eb0kfTkUgQ68zTvABCbVIOB41tC6R96CsRCiuCm1w

Correct!

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRmbCH6vyar6oVmNL8kP2S2sFhHUjiMLYyz70ZDkxyC5UAkDHftsw

I understand you have specific drums you would buy and I completely understand that. I also understand you have a specific look you are going for when placing a drum on and RPK, but there are a lot of folks out there buying drums for applications other than an RPK.

Just because the Chinese drums never saw action means nothing to me as one who is looking for a drum mag, I look for build quality and they fit that bill. People buy guns/products that are not military proven on a daily basis without regard to provenance.

Link Posted: 8/25/2011 12:49:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Sure they have seen action.

Quoted:

Looks

Quoted:

Looks

Quoted:

That is a valid point, but I would like to see it quantified.

Quoted:

Looks
Link Posted: 8/25/2011 1:14:50 PM EDT
[#10]
I never had a problem with a Chinese drum. I always looked at the other kind as an issue since the spring would be under pressure constantly. Really, don't care either way- and am hoping to land a Chinese .223 drum someday.
Link Posted: 8/25/2011 1:22:23 PM EDT
[#11]
Recently ran my two Korean drums. No problems. One needed a lip adjusted to smooth feeding. Two taps on the right rear lip, and it was a dream. They work in my drako, and mini.
Link Posted: 8/26/2011 3:01:03 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah?

What war?

Citations please.

OP, go find one of each and decide for yourself.

Or buy both and stage a cage match Thunderdome style.

Link Posted: 8/26/2011 5:58:28 AM EDT
[#13]
Nothing wrong with either type, as long as you stay away from the Korean knock-off's.

I myself prefer the Chinese, for a couple reasons.

- You can load/unload through the hinged backplate, which is much easier than the top-loader type IMO (not to mention unloading, just open and dump. Done)
- You can chose to either wind the spring, or leave unwound without putting any tension on it for storage. I think being able to leave it loaded, without spring tension on it is an awesome feature over the top-loader style.
- With the Chinese style drum you have access to all the internal parts/mechanisms by opening the door up. You have the ability to inspect and thoroughly clean it. Thats a great advantage IMO.
On one I recently bought I found it had a "hangup" in it's cycling about 40 rounds into the cycle of 75. I opened it up and looked it over and discovered a slightly bent little "guide finger" (don't really know what else to call it), probably from being loaded improperly. A quick tweak from my needle-nose and it's good as new.
Wouldn't have been able to inspect or repair a top-loader that way.
Link Posted: 8/26/2011 6:22:53 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah?

What war?

Citations please.

OP, go find one of each and decide for yourself.

Or buy both and stage a cage match Thunderdome style.

First you know there are more wars in the world than the ones we as a nation are involved in, right. To think the Chicom drums haven't found there way one a battle field somewhere is amusing. But to answer your question, a buddy found one in Iraq 5ish years ago. The Chinese issued them for many years. May still.

I have owned a Chinese 75 for over 15 years, and also own a 100-rd Chinese. I have owned a Romanian top loader, and sold it. My 75 has thousands of rounds through it, some full auto from when an old friend owned an transferable AK MG back in the 90's, and it has never skipped a beat.
Link Posted: 8/26/2011 7:34:37 AM EDT
[#15]
Even if the Russian/Romanian are build better and have seen more "action" I would still get a Chinese since none of us is going into combat with one.  I've had several of both, Chinese are so much easier to load/unload.  And they are an excellent product.
Link Posted: 8/26/2011 8:27:47 AM EDT
[#16]
I have a Chicom 75 and a new Romanian 75 that is patterned after the Chicom. The same in every way. Both work great.
Link Posted: 8/26/2011 2:36:23 PM EDT
[#17]
Shit like this.........
Quoted:

Nothing wrong with either type, as long as you stay away from the Korean knock-off's.
I myself prefer the Chinese, for a couple reasons.
- You can load/unload through the hinged backplate, which is much easier than the top-loader type IMO (not to mention unloading, just open and dump. Done)

- You can chose to either wind the spring, or leave unwound without putting any tension on it for storage. I think being able to leave it loaded, without spring tension on it is an awesome feature over the top-loader style.

- With the Chinese style drum you have access to all the internal parts/mechanisms by opening the door up. You have the ability to inspect and thoroughly clean it. Thats a great advantage IMO.

On one I recently bought I found it had a "hangup" in it's cycling about 40 rounds into the cycle of 75. I opened it up and looked it over and discovered a slightly bent little "guide finger" (don't really know what else to call it), probably from being loaded improperly. A quick tweak from my needle-nose and it's good as new.

Wouldn't have been able to inspect or repair a top-loader that way.

And this.......
Quoted:

First
you know there are more wars in the world than the ones we as a nation
are involved in, right. To think the Chicom drums haven't found there
way one a battle field somewhere is amusing. But to answer your
question, a buddy found one in Iraq 5ish years ago. The Chinese issued
them for many years. May still.

I have owned a Chinese 75
for over 15 years, and also own a 100-rd Chinese. I have owned a
Romanian top loader, and sold it. My 75 has thousands of rounds through
it, some full auto from when an old friend owned an transferable AK MG
back in the 90's, and it has never skipped a beat.

Make my head want friggin explode.
I dont give a flying turd what the Chinese parade around with, or what some guys cousins uncle said.

I asked for clear proof of them being used in a combat situation and you dont provide it=you FAIL.
The thing is fun and easier to work for simpletons, true. But of you fell on it or a latch got snagged on a twig it would fall open and leave you picking up your goods out of the mud. Its a cheap tin POS.
And why is it you cant open the Russian design?

Cause you dont know how. They had to put it together somehow FFS.

10 seconds, its open.
On a board where people buy a millspec mag, change out the follower and base plate for SHTF preparedness or even just totally reliable match/range use, were going to throw the "Well, were not going to war" flag?
Its not any faster to load reliably, its not easier to service, there is no issue with keping the Romanian/Russian loaded for days on end.

What your left with is its cheaper.

Link Posted: 8/26/2011 4:43:10 PM EDT
[#18]

I prefer the Romanian or Russian

I had a Chinese 75 round drum pop open with a Class III AK
during a run and gun shooting stage ... ammo all over the ground.

The Chinese drum quality was good - but I did not like the design

Link Posted: 8/26/2011 5:22:06 PM EDT
[#19]

TYPE 81 LMG  Chinese PLA

75 round drum
Link Posted: 8/26/2011 5:46:45 PM EDT
[#20]
Ths tread has so much fail in it, it's sad.  Sound like this board is turning in the same disrespectful attitude of the AR side.  My stuff is best and if you don't like it, well your just stupid.
Link Posted: 8/26/2011 7:26:04 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Ths tread has so much fail in it, it's sad.  Sound like this board is turning in the same disrespectful attitude of the AR side.  My stuff is best and if you don't like it, well your just stupid.

...so true
Link Posted: 8/26/2011 7:30:58 PM EDT
[#22]
Show me proof that the Russian and Romanian drums have been used in combat.
Link Posted: 8/26/2011 8:08:21 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Both the 75rd drum and the 40rd box mag were issued in Afghanistan for the RPK in the "80's".

I might mention Chechnya/Bosnia also, but whatever.

Link Posted: 8/26/2011 8:19:01 PM EDT
[#24]
I like the wind-up back loader designs because I can wind them up, and then sucker people into pushing the spring release plunger.

BZZZZZZZZZZZZZZT!

Sucker:

Me:

They swear they got shocked or something. Mrs. Dual was pretty pissed the time I pulled that on her. "Hey honey, I need an extra hand, that circle button there, push that while I hold this...
Link Posted: 8/26/2011 8:42:50 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Both the 75rd drum and the 40rd box mag were issued in Afghanistan for the RPK in the "80's".

I might mention Chechnya/Bosnia also, but whatever.

You win. Have a nice day.

But in the name of science I will share my uglies.

Link Posted: 8/27/2011 11:17:42 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Link Posted: 8/27/2011 12:33:41 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5083/5304212473_4680ea812a.jpg

Now you did it.

Link Posted: 8/29/2011 6:29:27 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5083/5304212473_4680ea812a.jpg

Link Posted: 9/15/2011 8:20:55 PM EDT
[#29]
Theres really no issue when leaving a russian or romanian drum loaded for extended periods though right? i mean as long as the spring isnt cycled  over and over it should keep its tension, correct??
Link Posted: 9/16/2011 2:29:26 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Shit like this.........

I dont give a flying turd what the Chinese parade around with, or what some guys cousins uncle said.

I asked for clear proof of them being used in a combat situation and you dont provide it=you FAIL.

Raised by Wolves:

I picked up Russian, Romanian and Chinese types in Iraq.  They'd been used in combat, both by the Saddam era Iraqi Army and the Muj.  I don't care if you don't believe me.  Here are some photos of Russian/Romanian types in Iraq.  Please don't turn discussions like this into confrontational rants, people come here to share ideas and get answers.  If you don't know what you're talking about please don't hesitate to take advantage of an opportunity to stay quiet.

Link Posted: 9/16/2011 3:43:28 AM EDT
[#31]
you need proof they were used in combat?  holy hell they were standard issue for RPK's for decades, its almost impossible to think they would never have been used!

That's like...show me proof an M4 with an ACOG has been used in combat

anyways, any news on more 5.45 drums coming around soon?
Link Posted: 9/16/2011 3:59:59 AM EDT
[#32]
Will there be more Chinese pattern "Romanian" drum magazines?  I have not seen them lately.

Link Posted: 9/16/2011 4:52:28 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Will there be more Chinese pattern "Romanian" drum magazines?  I have not seen them lately.

I saw several at the funshow a couple of weeks back, NIB for $100.

While there I picked up my first drum, a Chinese 75rd (Factory 9396) for $80

Link Posted: 9/16/2011 5:23:55 AM EDT
[#34]
One of my local dealers has a pile (25-30) of Romy drums on a shelf for $89 each.  Tempted to pick one up, but I already have 2 drums I never use so I hesitate.
Link Posted: 9/16/2011 1:17:11 PM EDT
[#35]
Is far as I can see is that they are kinda a novelty item.
Big, heavy, and they rattle like a bitch!
That being said... Everyone needs at least a couple!  
Link Posted: 9/16/2011 6:47:55 PM EDT
[#36]

Thanks for the pic....

Link Posted: 9/17/2011 4:08:17 AM EDT
[#37]
you guys ever bump-fire with a drum mag? its fun!
Link Posted: 9/17/2011 5:37:30 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
Quoted:

Shit like this.........

Raised by Wolves:
I picked up Russian, Romanian and Chinese types in Iraq.  They'd been used in combat, both by the Saddam era Iraqi Army and the Muj.  I don't care if you don't believe me.  Here are some photos of Russian/Romanian types in Iraq.  Please don't turn discussions like this into confrontational rants, people come here to share ideas and get answers.  If you don't know what you're talking about please don't hesitate to take advantage of an opportunity to stay quiet.
http://i1234.photobucket.com/albums/ff416/irishjarhead/Weapons/YugoRPKunderfolderIraq.jpg
http://i1234.photobucket.com/albums/ff416/irishjarhead/Weapons/RPKIZ.jpg

You are suffering from logic fail.
What was the OP looking for?
I thought he was asking for information on which drum to buy, Correct?
How to give him this information without hashing the details back and forth? Just tell him to go buy either one and all hold hands and sing nursery rimes?
BTW, thanks for your service, But it doesnt give you authority to tell me how and when to act, OK?
Quoted:

Theres really no issue when leaving a russian or romanian drum loaded
for extended periods though right? i mean as long as the spring isnt
cycled  over and over it should keep its tension, correct??

Take it from someone who does not know what their talking about.
The Russian/Romanina drums were designed For War.
The spring is indexible and the tension is resettable if for some reason it should sack..

Link Posted: 9/30/2011 8:57:47 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Shit like this.........

Raised by Wolves:

http://i1234.photobucket.com/albums/ff416/irishjarhead/Weapons/YugoRPKunderfolderIraq.jpg

http://i1234.photobucket.com/albums/ff416/irishjarhead/Weapons/RPKIZ.jpg

You are suffering from logic fail.

What was the OP looking for?

I thought he was asking for information on which drum to buy, Correct?

How to give him this information without hashing the details back and forth? Just tell him to go buy either one and all hold hands and sing nursery rimes?

BTW, thanks for your service, But it doesnt give you authority to tell me how and when to act, OK?

Quoted:
Theres really no issue when leaving a russian or romanian drum loaded for extended periods though right? i mean as long as the spring isnt cycled  over and over it should keep its tension, correct??

Take it from someone who does not know what their talking about.

The Russian/Romanina drums were designed For War.

The spring is indexible and the tension is resettable if for some reason it should sack..

Are you saying the the spring is resettable on the Romanian back loading verdin or on the Romanian top loading one?

From what I'm  seeing, it doesn't look like the top loading ones come apart at all.

I really like the idea of the back loading mags being kept loaded indefinitely  without tension.

I'm well aware that loading and unloading mags is what wears them out, but it seems like they would be easier to upload and download than the top loaders.

So basically, are the back loaders about as reliable and durable as the top loaders?
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 9:11:10 PM EDT
[#40]
I love the backloaders, but would put a wrap of tape around it if I ever took it in the woods or needed it for defense.
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 7:07:45 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Are you saying the the spring is resettable on the Romanian back loading verdin or on the Romanian top loading one?

From what I'm  seeing, it doesn't look like the top loading ones come apart at all.

I really like the idea of the back loading mags being kept loaded indefinitely  without tension.

I'm well aware that loading and unloading mags is what wears them out, but it seems like they would be easier to upload and download than the top loaders.

So basically, are the back loaders about as reliable and durable as the top loaders?

The top loader is easily resettable.
There is a knob on the back

Simply depress the blade in the middle of the knob

Turn the knob and it pops right open.

Carp, my camera just died.

Anyway, if you look at the top of the drum under the feed tower you can see the end of one of the rounds of the feed link.

To adjust the spring tension (Should it be necessary) you rotate the drum spider and remove the link rounds, then index the spider another notch and re insert the feed link.

Ill get more detailed pics up after my camera charges.

Link Posted: 10/1/2011 7:31:45 AM EDT
[#42]

Since the rest of your question has been answered with the pictures above, I'll say that in my experience, the top loaders are far more durable than the back loaders.  Reliability at the range has been equal, but I've dropped a couple of backloaders over the years and they've busted open like ripe melons, spewing ammo all over the place.  They still work just fine after you put them back together, though...assuming none of the internals were broken in the fall.  

In contrast, I've never had a top loader open up unless I was deliberately opening it.  And I've only done that for initial cleaning.  I've been using some of mine for over 20 years and I haven't had to reset a spring yet.

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top