Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/19/2017 7:27:10 PM
Posted: 7/8/2003 4:54:53 PM EDT
what brand of ak47 did the iraq soldiers use against us in the war ? i was just wondering ? ROMANIA 1,2 or 3 OR RUSSIAN OR WHAT ? thanks. marty
Link Posted: 7/8/2003 5:07:02 PM EDT
So far as facts I don't have a clue would guess a mixed bag with mostly Russian.
Link Posted: 7/8/2003 5:17:00 PM EDT
Kreb's! J/K probably a little of everything. Krinkfreak should know.
Link Posted: 7/8/2003 5:22:27 PM EDT
Most likely a brew of Egyptian,Iranian and some russians.
Link Posted: 7/8/2003 5:45:34 PM EDT
Could have some Chinese too... they are like the frogs, they sell to everyone.
Link Posted: 7/8/2003 5:47:38 PM EDT
Link Posted: 7/8/2003 6:29:36 PM EDT
thanks for the info. i was just wondering. boy when you think how many people have used this gun in combat since 1947. it really is a engineering marvel . what a gun. i have had mine about 3 weeks. it really lays them in there. i really think this gun has one of the lowest malfunctions of any combat weapon in history. i wonder if there is any military books out there that talk about its usage over the years and how it performed ? i just wonder what these foreign goverments pay for these guns from the manufacture? i bet 150.00 maybe. thanks. marty
Link Posted: 7/8/2003 6:59:25 PM EDT
Things must have changed.

I recently spoke to an ex Irianian Commander that was in Irag during the early 80's.

He said most of the amrs were russian,egyptIranina like I posted before. I guess they had tp update
Link Posted: 7/8/2003 7:31:59 PM EDT
Wonder if we'll ever see Iraqi or Iranian AK parts kits....sure would like to have one to put on the wall next to an M4....
Link Posted: 7/8/2003 7:34:37 PM EDT
Seems like most of the AKs I saw were Romanian, complete with wooden front pistol grip. There were certainly far more of those on TV then any other kind.
Link Posted: 7/9/2003 12:50:18 PM EDT
seen lotts of hungarian rifles floating around in pics as well.
Link Posted: 7/10/2003 11:05:28 AM EDT
I definitly saw a few Hungarian AKM's with blonde wood in a few of the war news clips.

In the news clip where the U.S. troops capture that armory and run over and burn the guns, most of the AK's were stamped Chinese with folding bayonets, with a few Romanian AKM's.

In a clip about one of those terrorist training camps in the mountains of N. Iraq, I saw quite a few worn AKM's with E. German style side-folding stocks with one Egyptian style side-folder. The video quality and bad shape of the guns made it hard to tell if they were E. German, Romanian, or Egyptian.

As for the tabuk, I saw more of the tabuk's in footage from the first Gulf War, than this war. Could be the Iraq's found it cheaper to buy AK's than continue building their own after the 1st gulf war.

In all the news clips / videos I saw, it seems the older milled AK's / AKM's were given to regular troops, with the republican guard, commandos, etc getting the newer bought weapons. I'm sure its safe to say you could find an AK from every country that ever made them in Iraq.
Link Posted: 7/11/2003 9:19:36 AM EDT
This kind!

Link Posted: 7/12/2003 12:44:53 AM EDT
I heard some Tabuk kits made it to some gun shows earlier this year...
Top Top