Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Magazines
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 3/5/2011 11:28:34 AM EDT
what are the best  pre ban ak 47 mags since I live in the great state of ny, any help is appreciated, thanks mike
Link Posted: 3/5/2011 1:52:37 PM EDT
[#1]
That depends on your definition of "best"

The highest overall quality would probably be bakelite soviet mags, but those are expensive, more like collectors items than mags you'd actually use.  Copes has metal Chinese Pre-Bans for around $13, I bought a few just in case I end up in a ban state.

http://www.copesdistributing.net/product_info.php?products_id=1168
Link Posted: 3/6/2011 4:23:05 AM EDT
[#2]
There is no important difference in reliability between mil surp AK magazines. As long as the magazine isn't rusted inside to the point where the follower is prevented from moving or the magazine isn't otherwise damaged, it will work. Therefore there is no "best" AK magazine.
Link Posted: 3/6/2011 1:28:10 PM EDT
[#3]
For the record, I considered the bakelites the best pre-ban mags because they are lighter, not because of reliability differences, they are all basically the same in that category like you said.  Weight is essentially the only difference, and unfortunately also what you pay for, actual quality steel reinforced polymer mags cost an arm and a leg compared to metal ones.
Link Posted: 3/7/2011 7:50:02 PM EDT
[#4]
How do you prove they are pre-ban?  Are they date stamped or something?
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 12:29:43 PM EDT
[#5]
As with most things, the burden of proof rests on the state.  That having been said, if you had a circle 10 mag, a bullet mag or some other design that only was made after '94, it would be an open and shut case.  They'd probably have a hell of a time proving that some random combloc steel mag *wasn't* pre-ban, although I don't advise that you test that theory.

The easiest way to cover your ass, in my opinion, is to buy something that is described as pre-ban by a large, reputable company, and save the reciept.  If you're really paranoid, you can buy actual soviet-era stuff like bakelites or slab side mags that aren't made anymore.
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 12:33:23 PM EDT
[#6]
I prefer the Chinese style, without the rib in the back.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 5:54:14 AM EDT
[#7]
Check these Pre 1994 production mags at 44mag.com for $12.99.
http://www.44mag.com/product/chinese_ak_magazine_30_round/ak_magazines
Link Posted: 3/18/2011 8:17:54 AM EDT
[#8]
Definitely Chinese- this is coming from someone who's in a ban state.

No rib on the back and that's nicer to handle with as well.

Bakelite are $$ so it's up to you, for the price of one Bakelite you could get a couple/few Chinese mags.
Page AK-47 » Magazines
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top