Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Romanian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 8/4/2005 8:51:44 PM EDT
The rear sight on my wasr is pointed off to the left. Has anyone seen this before? What can I do to fix it?
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 4:11:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Are you sure it is not the front sight that is canted off to the side?  It happens once in a while that the front sight is installed canted.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 4:33:19 PM EDT
[#2]
the front sight is canted as well, but the rear sight is also off
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 5:00:32 PM EDT
[#3]
As this is a problem not very often encountered, pics would be great...or could you describe the problem better? Does it seem as if the barrel is crooked in the front trunion? Is the rear leaf sight twisted or not properly seated in the front? I think the reason why not too many people have responded to help is because it's hard from your description to understand your exact prblem...Good-Luck.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 2:02:10 PM EDT
[#4]
thanks for the sugestion. I'm not very fluent with the correct part names but I'll do my best. It almost seems like the leaf is sitting crooked in the trunion. Is this possible? When you look straight down the sight channel you look directly at the left sight post guard. Again I'm sure it's the rear sight that is off because I used the tangs on the trunion to boresight the fsb. P.S. Even if I knew how to post a pic, I don't think you would be able to see what I'm talking about.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 2:17:30 PM EDT
[#5]
I guess if the front of the rear sight is not in its holes right, it would be crooked...or the front trunion holes for the sight are miss drilled causing it to be crooked...do either of these seem possible to you....Try looking at this website...do any of these problems accurately describe your problem?

www.gunsnet.net/Linx310/cant.htm

Hope this helps you, it sounds like an aggravating problem.Let us know  how it works.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 5:20:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Yea, that site was very helpfull when I fixed the front sight. But now I think I will just live with the rear sight. It's not like it's my AR or anything Thank you for your help.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 6:28:32 PM EDT
[#7]
We really need pics to tell what is going on with the rear sight.  If mean it would be awfully hard to get the rear sight block canted me thinks.  Is the sight block canted or is it just the rear leaf is off to the side / twisted?

Does anything look bent where the leaf sits in the sight block?  The sight block hold the gas tube in place, does it look twisted?  The sight block is also kind of centered upright by the trunion.  Looking at my SAR1, it would be really hard to get the front sight base off by more than a few degrees.

Are you saying that the leaf is off as compared to the sight base?

Tantals site

Tantals

Link Posted: 8/6/2005 9:42:00 PM EDT
[#8]
I have the same issue. I know what you are talking about.  The rear site block or leaf on mine is actually canted...not the front.  I don't quite know what to do to fix it.  Mine is a Sar-1
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 4:00:18 AM EDT
[#9]
My rear sight is twisted just a little on the back where it doesn't make contact with both tabs on the sight base...here's a pic:

is this what you guys are talking about?
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 5:02:38 AM EDT
[#10]
Trgams,

That almost has to be a bent or twisted rear leaf.  Are the ears on the sight block straight?  Are the ears on the sight block parallel to the side of the sight block?

It almost looks as if someone dropped it and twisted the steel.  I might try a different rear sight leaf, but in your pic, it looks like the sight block is straight.

It is possible that the rear leaf is just out of spec.  I might try removing the rear sight leaf and lay it on a flat surface to see if it is twisted.

But then again, it is not that far off and it is an AK.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 5:05:34 AM EDT
[#11]
Personally I like that it's a little twisted, it matches my personality! I was just wondering if this is what the original poster was encountering.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 1:27:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Mine isn't the leaf.  The whole block that the leaf is on is canted to the towards the ejection port side by a few degrees.  
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 1:37:14 PM EDT
[#13]
Doesn't your trunion keep the sight block from going to far to either side?  I thought those ears on the trunion were to center the sight block?  Did someone grind off anything?

About the only thing you could do about the sight block is to remove the pin an drift it back upright, then drill out the hole just a tad larger and install a larger pin.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 5:33:34 PM EDT
[#14]
On mine you can see that the leaf is sitting crooked in the block. But the sight leaf it's self doesn't look bent. I guess I could try a different sight. I need a new front pin anyway. Where can I get these parts? Oh and trgams, Mine sits flat, it's just pointed off to the left.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 3:46:20 AM EDT
[#15]
You can get the rear sights at KVar and some other companies.

Check under the 'optics and accessories' section and then look under 'good places for acc'.  There are a few places to check.

You are sure that the front sight base is not twisted in the ears in anyway?  If so, it sounds like you have a bent rear sight.  I have never taken a rear sight out, but I don't think that it is difficult.

Page AK-47 » Romanian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top