Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 2/28/2008 9:30:07 PM EDT
I am setting up to trim my top rails soon and was wondering whether there ia atrick to cutting them even on both sides, also, is there a way to get the proper placement for the center cutout(the bolt cutout I believe).

Any help would be appreciated.

Also, I was wondering how well the top rail layout jigs work, is there a chance of overcutting with these, and do they work well?
Link Posted: 2/29/2008 7:16:07 AM EDT
[#1]
You can pretty much eyeball it if you are steady hand with a Dremel (that's how I did my first).  The best thing to do is use a marker or something to mark what needs to stay and then Dremel down to that.  But the jigs are probably the best, don't sweat it AKs are not that precise you will be able to do it just take your time.
Link Posted: 2/29/2008 9:06:33 AM EDT
[#2]
+1 for what he said and I have the jig, I'm not sure it's any easrier it just makes a straighter line but if after you cut you use a long file it will be just as good.  Leave a little to file smooth and take your time.
Link Posted: 2/29/2008 1:29:43 PM EDT
[#3]
okay, I just thought there might be some trick to it. I guess the first thing to do would be trim for the front for the trunnion and then start trimming the rest of the rails. One question, the cutout in the middle of the reciever, how do you know where to put that one? I believe it is for the bolt when you insert the carrier through the back cutout by the rear trunnion, I get that one, but how do I measure where the middle cut goes, and what exactly is it for?

Thanks
Link Posted: 2/29/2008 4:07:40 PM EDT
[#4]
The specs are available here where the manuals are.  It is just the length of the bolt carrier that goes in the receiver from the rear trunion.
Link Posted: 2/29/2008 6:18:29 PM EDT
[#5]
take your time,
you can always remove more, you can not add more.
also, dont cut out too much on th erear portion where the carrier enters. i did that and now need to mig weld in to replace the excess i took out
Link Posted: 3/1/2008 5:45:12 AM EDT
[#6]
I understand the rear cutout, but there is another cut in the middle of the reciever, what is that for?
Link Posted: 3/1/2008 5:46:54 AM EDT
[#7]
I think I get it.When you go to put the carrier in the slot in the rear you have to tip it down right? so the middle cut is for the actuall bolt to go inside, under, the rails, right?
Link Posted: 3/1/2008 7:57:05 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I think I get it.When you go to put the carrier in the slot in the rear you have to tip it down right? so the middle cut is for the actuall bolt to go inside, under, the rails, right?

I don't know about the tipping down part, but the slight cutout in the center is indeed for bolt clearance.

Link Posted: 3/1/2008 8:07:16 AM EDT
[#9]
after the front trunnion is cut and fitted

cut for the rear trunnion and fit the top cover before you cut the rest of the rails
if not youll end up having a gap where the front of the cover meets the front sight base

then fit the cuts in the rails to the bolt starting at  the rear
Link Posted: 3/2/2008 11:44:34 AM EDT
[#10]
okay, but what do you mean the center cut is for bolt clearance? why does it need clearance in that spot?
Link Posted: 3/4/2008 3:24:34 AM EDT
[#11]
Just go to AKBuilder.com, he has a jig for cheep that you hold to the receiver and then make your line with a marker. Cut and then you have a pefect fit every time.
Link Posted: 3/4/2008 7:38:01 PM EDT
[#12]
Took the dremel to the rails and it worked out fine, not as hard as I thought.
Thanks all.
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top