Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 8/31/2005 10:11:11 PM EDT
forgive me if this has been covered, but I think it hasn't. I know we all boycotted tapco after their price gouging.... but I think I know what they were up to now.

Check their web site, they are selling romanian kits with all the needed USA parts for $200, I talked to them on the phone, and the salesman said, for an extra $20, they garuntee matching numbers.

do the math, that's a pretty good deal.

I know we are all mad at them for the price fixing BS, but now I think it was on purpose, to make these sound like a better deal...

Also, the will do free shipping if you buy a flat for $12...

that's'a good deal, IMHO (if you like the tapco furniture)

the folders are a POS IMHO, but the AR15 CAR stock is OK. I'm not a fan of the galil front grip, but some people like them.

Saw grips are great.

Comes with a G2 double hook TG

in all, you can make a pretty nice looking AK, for pretty cheap.

add a global trades/armory receiver, and oyu got a nice gun for cheaper than you can buy a romanian, plus you got the "nifty" tapco stock set (if your into that stuff)

Just an FYI.
I priced the best kit from interordnance (rearsenaled romanian with the new plastic stock)
and when you add USA parts, it comes to about the same price as the tapco deal.

looking at about $200 - $220 with USA parts (add receiver of your choice) for interordnance or tapco. not bad, not bad.

better get the wife to hide my credit cards....
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 6:59:36 AM EDT
Forget that. Get their $125 Romy/G2 combo. It's an excellent deal now. I got a couple of them, all numbers match and they're in excellent condition. I'm really satisfied with those kits. I guess if you're a fan of funky furniture, you're in luck with the $200 deal... Just don't blame us if you get laughed at...
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 7:37:15 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/1/2005 7:37:28 AM EDT by squeky]
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 7:52:52 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/1/2005 7:53:35 AM EDT by Fishpaw]
Like Squeky said...The romy w/g2 is a better deal at $125, then you get a US gas piston for $16 at AKbuilder.com and a US made slant brake or a US pistol grip, plus your receiver, and you are good to go..and its $50 less than tapco's "deal"
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 7:57:53 AM EDT
Every one has romanian kits for $99 and Tapco has a combo with FCG, gas piston and grip for $60, sooooooo that's $40 cheaper to go that way..........................................and people won't laugh at you and think you're ghey.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 8:07:26 AM EDT
tag
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 12:54:24 PM EDT
werd, tapco's furniture is teh ghey

but it may look "OK" with a car stock, if one spent some time removing the flashing on their funky ash injection moldings.

I held a galil, and it sucked to hold. me no like, but it does look nice.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 9:41:53 PM EDT
On my Tapco kit the barrel and carrier matched, but the bolt didn't. Midwest Armory had G2 triggers for a great price, not sure if they still do. Check the "sales" page.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 10:39:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/1/2005 10:41:53 PM EDT by santanatwo]
the bolt and trunion are the important ones to match.

However, I have an AK that doesn't match, but headspaced fine.

you start mixing numbers and stuff, you better head space that sucker though.

for the ghetto fabulouse amoungst us,....

Anybody heard about the masking tape method? what is it? you chamber a round, as a go guage, then for a no go guage you like put two layers of masking tape on the back of a live round, and if the bolt won't close on it, then everything is cool? (wonders exactly how sloppy an AK can be and fire safely) I have no personal experience with this method... but I remember hearing about it a long time ago...

Socandyman, anybody? expert oppinion requested.....
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 11:30:10 AM EDT

Originally Posted By santanatwo:
the bolt and trunion are the important ones to match.

However, I have an AK that doesn't match, but headspaced fine.

you start mixing numbers and stuff, you better head space that sucker though.

for the ghetto fabulouse amoungst us,....

Anybody heard about the masking tape method? what is it? you chamber a round, as a go guage, then for a no go guage you like put two layers of masking tape on the back of a live round, and if the bolt won't close on it, then everything is cool? (wonders exactly how sloppy an AK can be and fire safely) I have no personal experience with this method... but I remember hearing about it a long time ago...

Socandyman, anybody? expert oppinion requested.....

I use that method. Just trim the tape real well arond the base of cartridge. It either not close or require much effort to close on two thickness of masking tape, but I had an AMD-65 kit, looked like new, all matching numbers, it closed on four no effert at all! I was pretty worried, so I cross referanced a Centery Arms Maddi and it also closed on four layers of tape like there wasn't even a round in the chamber. I had fired that weapon several hundred rounds and it was made by a major company. I've never had case head sepperation or any thing. After that I figured it must not be to important.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 1:30:32 PM EDT
don't forget the hyphen in ak-builder. I was stuck on the homepage of a custom windows and doors page...

Top Top