Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 3/16/2013 1:32:05 PM EDT
ok heres my story. had a virgin trunion and new us made barrel. started the press and the barrel got stuck, and looked like it was starting to bend a bit. i pressed it back out and filed the barrel and trunion down a bit and started over. much easier this time, but at the 3/4 of the way mark again the barrel stopped. so i dumbly pushed my luck and i saw the barrel bend a bit. so i pushed the barrel out again and yes its bent a bit. soooo what would you do? just scrap it and get another barrel? and file down the trunion a bit more for next time? i have done this 20 times but never with a NEW us made barrel, always used the originals basically. are they always that damn tight? thanks for any help-
Link Posted: 3/16/2013 1:48:49 PM EDT
Take the barrel to a machine shop and they can straighten it on a lathe. Never remove material from the trunnion!!! Always remove from the barrel. About a thou and a half (.0015) interference is ideal.
Link Posted: 3/16/2013 1:57:27 PM EDT
i dont think theres a machine shop that would be near here, is there any gunsmith i could sent it to? you think any machine shop could handle it? i guess also price is another thing to be considered.
Link Posted: 3/16/2013 4:34:51 PM EDT
Typically if you apply enough force where you can visibly see the barrel bending bad things happen. Those bad things being accuracy problems and key holing.

A gunsmith or machinist might be able to straighten it out, but you wouldnt really know until everything was fully assembled and you fired it.

If it were me, and I have been down this road at build parties, its cheaper and less hassle to buy a new barrel.
Link Posted: 3/16/2013 8:48:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/16/2013 8:52:35 PM EDT by ratfink57]
On a lathe with a dial indicator, it's easy to see how straight it is.

If your gunsmith has a lathe, he can do it too.

You could try ADCO, email them and see.
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 1:08:05 PM EDT
The barrel is FUBAR

Start over and learn from it.
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 4:37:01 PM EDT
yeah im leaning towards that, it was a 70 dollar barrel. found a gunsmith that will try to straighten it for 50 bucks, plus say another 10 for shipping, i might as well at this point take it to the scrap yard and get 5 bucks for it
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 5:01:50 PM EDT
You straighten bent barrels with a press.

Turning stock off the outside diameter of a barrel isn't going to correct a bend. While you may make the OD straight, the part that matters is still crooked.
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 6:01:22 AM EDT
Anyone see the TV show "GI Factory" a few years ago where they toured the M16A2 assembly line at FN South Carolina.

There was a lady inspecting the barrels for straightness with a drop through gauge. She corrected bends by pushing on the opposite side with a small arbor press.

Low-tech, for sure, but they only required 4 MOA out of those rifles to pass them out of the factory.

The old-style barrel straighteners pictured above required skilled laborers. They inspected for straightness by looking for shadows in the bore and tweaked them in those special holders.
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 3:38:55 PM EDT
I'll give you $20 for your junk barrel.
Top Top