Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 9/21/2004 7:59:55 PM EST
Being a messer-upper of perfectly good things I messed up the finish on my ORF PMKMS build (sorry guys) and now it looks crappy. I'm wondering if anyone thinks most gunsmiths would blue an AK?

I think a lot of them are afraid of AKs, so I thought I'd ask you guys before I took it around, just to see what you guys think.

I'm talking about run of the mill smiths here used to working on sporting rifles and high-end 1911s. Would they touch it?
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 8:09:32 PM EST
How did you mess up the finish??
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 8:19:45 PM EST
It was parked and I tried to put a bake on thing over it and it didn't take so I messed up everything

It was dumb, I'm not going to try and defend it
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 8:35:07 PM EST
Damn that sucks!

A couple of years ago I opened up the phone book to look for a gunsmith that would install a 74 brake on my SAR-1, and damn was I in for a rude awakening. I was told that I/they would be breaking the law, or we won't work on those type of AW's.

Long story short I found a local class 3 gunsmith that is a enthusiest like us. I would not be afraid to open up the phone book, and call around. What could it hurt?
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 4:35:22 AM EST

Originally Posted By AJjer_Bullets:
It was parked and I tried to put a bake on thing over it and it didn't take so I messed up everything

It was dumb, I'm not going to try and defend it

I wouldn't say dumb. I'd say "Experimental!"

Link Posted: 9/22/2004 5:11:28 AM EST
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 7:51:44 AM EST
If you truely want it blued and not refinished with some other type of finish (parkerizing, spray-on type finish), then I can recommend Checkmate Custom in Florida (www.checkmatecustom.com .

I couldn't find anyone within a couple of hundred miles of me that did bluing anymore. I sent my parts for a milled Type 3 AK that I wanted blued to them and they did a great job with quick turnaround.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 8:55:59 AM EST
Top Top