Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 9/21/2004 8:59:55 PM EDT
Being a messer-upper of perfectly good things I messed up the finish on my ORF PMKMS build (sorry guys) and now it looks crappy.     I'm wondering if anyone thinks most gunsmiths would blue an AK?  

I think a lot of them are afraid of AKs, so I thought I'd ask you guys before I took it around, just to see what  you guys think.  

I'm talking about run of the mill smiths here used to working on sporting rifles and high-end 1911s.   Would they touch it?  
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 9:09:32 PM EDT
[#1]
How did you mess up the finish??
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 9:19:45 PM EDT
[#2]
It was parked and I tried to put a bake on thing over it and it didn't take so I messed up everything

It was dumb, I'm not going to try and defend it
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 9:35:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Damn that sucks!

A couple of years ago I opened up the phone book to look for a gunsmith that would install a 74 brake on my SAR-1, and damn was I in for a rude awakening.  I was told that I/they would be breaking the law, or we won't work on those type of AW's.

Long story short I found a local class 3 gunsmith that is a enthusiest like us.  I would not be afraid to open up the phone book, and call around.  What could it hurt?
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 5:35:22 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
It was parked and I tried to put a bake on thing over it and it didn't take so I messed up everything

It was dumb, I'm not going to try and defend it

I wouldn't say dumb.  I'd say "Experimental!"

Link Posted: 9/22/2004 6:11:28 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 8:51:44 AM EDT
[#6]
If you truely want it blued and not refinished with some other type of finish (parkerizing, spray-on type finish), then I can recommend Checkmate Custom in Florida (www.checkmatecustom.com .

I couldn't find anyone within a couple of hundred miles of me that did bluing anymore.   I sent my parts for a milled Type 3 AK that I wanted blued to them and they did a great job with quick turnaround.  
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 9:55:59 AM EDT
[#7]
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top