Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Troubleshooting
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 10/31/2007 1:59:31 PM EDT
Why are you supposed to set the rear sight at 100m when you're sighting in at 25?  That's what AK-47.net said to do.
Link Posted: 10/31/2007 4:12:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Because that's how the Soviets did it.

The 7.62x39 round crosses the line of sight at 25 meters, and is on target at 100 meters.
So, if you sight in at 25 meters and adjust so that the rounds are hitting EXACTLY where the sights are aimed, the rounds should be on at 100 meters.

I use an "X" target.  I use black tape or my PC printer to make a sheet of paper with a large "X" on it.
I set it up at 25 meters and aim precisely at the center of the "X".  I adjust the sights until the bullets are hitting the center of the "X", and I'm on at 100 meters.
Link Posted: 10/31/2007 7:24:21 PM EDT
[#2]
thanks, that was bothering me.  What's the P for than?
Link Posted: 11/1/2007 2:10:02 PM EDT
[#3]
"P" ???
If you mean there's a "P" or other odd mark on the bottom of the sight below the "1", that's a Battle Sight setting.

After you get sighted in, if you put the sight slide on the "P" (or whatever it is) you can hit a man in the chest at any range from 0 to 300 meters by sighting on the center of his chest.
At close range you'll hit him high on the chest, at longer ranges you'll hit him lower, but you will hit him.

This setting is used when the shooter won't have time in combat to adjust the sight for each range.
Link Posted: 11/6/2007 2:55:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 11/8/2007 8:00:12 PM EDT
[#5]
P and 1 are the same if I understand it correctly.  The reason 25 M and 100 M are the same is due to the projectile curve as it travels and intersects with the sight line.  It will vary a little with the varying velocities in your ammo (not much considering the limited variations for the 7.62x39 Russian calibers).  Good luck with that (this was the same question I asked a few months ago).
Link Posted: 11/8/2007 8:36:43 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
P and 1 are the same if I understand it correctly.

Nope. The battle sight setting is the same as 300 meters.
You can check this.
Put the rifle on a table and set the sight on the battle sight setting and sight on a target across the room.
Then, without moving the rifle, raise the sight to 300 meters.  It's the same.

On my other post, I "fat fingered" the keys.
If you sight in as above at 25 meters, with the rear sight set on the 100 meter setting, then set the rear sight at the battle sight setting, you can hit a man at any range from 0 to at least 400 meters.
Link Posted: 12/5/2007 8:53:38 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:
P and 1 are the same if I understand it correctly.

Nope. The battle sight setting is the same as 300 meters.
You can check this.
Put the rifle on a table and set the sight on the battle sight setting and sight on a target across the room.
Then, without moving the rifle, raise the sight to 300 meters.  It's the same.

On my other post, I "fat fingered" the keys.
If you sight in as above at 25 meters, with the rear sight set on the 100 meter setting, then set the rear sight at the battle sight setting, you can hit a man at any range from 0 to at least 400 meters.

That would be the infamous 6in "Point Blank Range", correct?  That means, at least for the 7.62x39 cartridge out of 16in barrel, that at no point within the 300m the round would travel outside of that 6in "tube" for 300 yards, if the sights were on the "P" setting.  

Many of us hunters use that technique when hunting game animals at long ranges since it is much easier to gauge the 6in (or 8in) "PBR" regardless of range, than to pinpoint an exact range for an exact impact of the bullet to the vitals.    
Link Posted: 12/5/2007 11:41:21 AM EDT
[#8]
That's right.

In a military rifle, the Battle Sight is so the soldier can hit a man at any practical range without adjusting the sights.
This is for when he wouldn't have time to be adjusting the sights in a fire fight.

Since what's important is just hitting the enemy, it makes no difference if you can pin point an exact place to hit him.

Same thing in hunting.  Since you can't be sure at what range you'll see game, you sight in at a compromise range, and you'll get a good hit.
Page AK-47 » Troubleshooting
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top