Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 10/3/2011 6:52:10 PM EDT
I am ready to order one of these but need to know how the AK surplus mags work and if steel cased ammo runs in these.
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 7:12:56 PM EDT
[#1]
I used to follow threads on them religiously because I used (note USED) to want one. From what I gathered they were pretty much junk. They will not reliably ignite steel cased ammo, steel mags caused a significant amount of wear on the aluminum lower quickly, and the stocks/rail/fore end was garbage.

On youtube Miltary Arms channel had a video up about the Sig 556 malfunctions...it wasn't pretty.
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 7:20:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Sig has reinforced the lower with steel plates to cure the mag wear issue and changed the spring weights to reliably ignite military primers, so those problems are moot now. If you have an early model, they will upgrade it for free.
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 7:37:06 PM EDT
[#3]
I stand corrected then. What kind of price are they bringing now?
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 7:44:45 PM EDT
[#4]
IN NC I found one for $1050 today just had to do some research before I  buy one.  I have always been a SIG person but have only owner pistols this would be the first SIG rifle for me.
Link Posted: 10/4/2011 2:46:43 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Sig has reinforced the lower with steel plates to cure the mag wear issue and changed the spring weights to reliably ignite military primers, so those problems are moot now. If you have an early model, they will upgrade it for free.

Great news.  If they had originally introduced them that way I would own one right now.  Too late for me now, the money has already been spent.  At least Sig got the fixes done in a relatively timely manner and didn't wait a few years to do something about it.

Link Posted: 10/4/2011 8:38:13 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Great news.  If they had originally introduced them that way I would own one right now.  Too late for me now, the money has already been spent.  At least Sig got the fixes done in a relatively timely manner and didn't wait a few years to do something about it.

I seriously considered one, myself.  I just didn't care for the balance or handling of the rifle.  I've been carrying a Sig pistol for 20 years, but I just don't care for their rifles.  I've seen several at carbine classes and they seem to run fine for those that use them, though.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top