Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
11/20/2019 5:07:11 PM
Posted: 8/1/2009 6:05:23 PM EST
[Last Edit: 8/1/2009 6:22:04 PM EST by wheelchairman]
Found out today A relative (very pro gun but I have never seen him shoot) has this ak he has never shot. I had seen an AK at grampas house growing up a couple times in a box under a bed. So I ask grandpa about it as I'm preparing to go shoot my ar and gramps says that he bought it because he heard they were gonna ban importation of them soon so he got one. Word is he bought it with a standard mag and a drum mag with ammo for each brand new and he has never shot it. From what I understand he bought this while he was either in high school or college so I'm thinkin it would be before the 86 ban. The guy has a kid that is 19 I really think he 47. So the timeline fits.

My question is should I look into trying to buy this? Is it uber rare/ valuable that it would be pre-86 import? I don't guess it could be full auto? I have thought about gettin an AK in the near future so this would be optimal if I could pick up a steal of a deal on this.

edited to remove the relation (I wear a bit of tinfoil over my head)
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 6:06:31 PM EST
Chicom i bet, grab it
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 6:21:08 PM EST
Buying guns from family sometimes seems to go south for a lot of people. Especially when it turns out to have problems. Just be careful and ensure you know what you're getting. Especially with a tucked-away possible pre-ban. Make sure it's not one of the earlier imports with the third hole/pin. Would suck to have to cut it up after buying it.
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 4:02:05 AM EST
[Last Edit: 8/2/2009 4:03:15 AM EST by POLYTHENEPAM]
Originally Posted By wheelchairman:
I don't guess it could be full auto?

edited to remove the relation (I wear a bit of tinfoil over my head)

Before the MG ban licensed manufacturers legally converted Chinese AKs to full auto.
If gramps bought one of those, he'll have the tax stamp. No need for tin foil.

Link Posted: 8/2/2009 12:10:58 PM EST
chances are it is a norinco OR it could be a valmet..take a look.
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 4:52:03 PM EST
'My question is should I look into trying to buy this?'

Not unless its for sale. What makes you think a 47 yr-old man wants to sell a gun he bought before the '94 ban (for $250 that's now worth $1850) to you for peanuts? He's probably had it for 25 years or so - you grow attached to things like that.
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 5:51:35 PM EST

I bought a Hungarian underfolder in 1986.

There's no telling what he's got until you see it.

Link Posted: 8/3/2009 4:54:55 AM EST
Talked to grandpa about it last night some and he said he bought it for him for christmas one year. Grandpa said the gun is at his house because it never left the house to go shooting. I will try to get gramps to let me see it in the next couple days. It's in his safe and once things go in there they never seem to come out. I'm 19 and have never seen inside it.
Top Top