Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 8/24/2006 7:37:20 PM EDT
it is acktullay a spring,with a coil on it, unlike the 3 types shown on this site.. cant figure out how to install it.i made my own center support out a a 1/4 " pin. it looks like maybe it is supposed to go on the center support. will c clips work instead? other than that it shot pretty good. a little interfearance when the hammer pushes the bolt up, it catches on the ejector a little.
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 7:59:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Just cut the coil portion off with a dremel wheel leaving a hook.
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 8:03:27 PM EDT
[#2]
This is a semi fcg - A is the shepards hook

THIS IS A FULL AUTO FCG - retainer hook at top

Guess which one you have.    

Link Posted: 8/25/2006 1:50:04 AM EDT
[#3]
Do yourself a Favor, throw that Shepherd Hook in the Trash, and get a RED STAR ARM's Retainer Plate. You will save yourself alott of aggrevation and cussing! It's the best $12.00 I ever spent on my AK

www.redstararms.com/

Wacth the Video Demo, on how to install
Link Posted: 8/25/2006 1:52:09 AM EDT
[#4]
Love my retaining plate. Does it's job.
Link Posted: 8/25/2006 4:31:49 AM EDT
[#5]
I, too, highly recommend the plate over that flippin' wire. It makes removing/installing the FCG a breeze.
Link Posted: 8/25/2006 4:43:37 AM EDT
[#6]
A couple of small "E" clips for a couple of cents worked great in my Rommy build.
Link Posted: 8/25/2006 5:23:20 AM EDT
[#7]
ya , i guess its the full auto one. but i have a semi auto trigger group. im just going to get some clips and use them.
Link Posted: 8/25/2006 7:28:03 AM EDT
[#8]
I used the E-clips in my Romy build. They do the job, but I have some play in the pins once the E-clips are installed. I have not fired it yet so I don’t know if this is going to be an issue. I have the retaining plate (Tapco one) in my other rifles and they work great. Plus should you be at the range and need to take the FCG out for some reason you don’t have to worry about tiring to get the little clips off and maybe dropping it. Or worse off, try to re-install that Sheppard’s hook……. Toss it !!!
Link Posted: 8/25/2006 10:43:57 AM EDT
[#9]
All you guys that have switched to the retainer plates, ill take your shepherds crooks, and pay the shipping!

Shoot me a PM if you want...
Link Posted: 8/25/2006 12:10:03 PM EDT
[#10]
I was so pissed off at mine I bent the hell out of it and threw it away.
Link Posted: 8/25/2006 1:12:42 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I was so pissed off at mine I bent the hell out of it and threw it away.

Me too, I fu48ed with that thing for over an hour trying to get it back in, i threw it across the room. The next day it got sucked up by the sweeper
Link Posted: 8/25/2006 3:31:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 8/25/2006 4:27:44 PM EDT
[#13]
E-Clips can be even worse yet. The one for the hammer pin can be a nightmare to take off.
Link Posted: 8/27/2006 12:22:39 AM EDT
[#14]
If all you have is the shepherds hook, and you just got a RSA trigger set, you will fiddle with the shepherds hook for as long as it takes to reinstall it. Trust me.

And that will be that last you ever think of it.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top