Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Hungarian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 1/22/2006 1:50:12 AM EDT
Just about finished with the refinishing job on my 65 and I have been thinking about putting a scope on it. Does anyone know of or have and good recomendation on how and what to  do to acomplish this? I have a few different ideas but a few more couldn't hurt! Has anyone tried the tri-rail on the top cover?
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 7:32:42 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 8:31:55 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
There are only two real solutions to scoping an AK. The first is to install a side rail, the second is to use one of the systems that mounts in place of the front hand guards. The top cover mounts are junk, they move way to much and your groups will be better with irons.

+1 BTDT, receiver cover mount is gay.  If the wobbling doesnt get you, the removal for cleaning will affect your zero.

B-square has a pretty decent platform (at least it appears to be) I have not used one but have seen them in person, lil sticker shock at around $70.00 but maybe a gunshow would have a better deal.

Follow the link

http://secure.armorholdings.com/b-square/ak.html
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 8:45:10 AM EDT
[#3]
No offense, but a scope on a 65 is just retard,  I have yet to find a good check weld.

Link Posted: 1/30/2006 6:38:57 AM EDT
[#4]
Please enlighten me  on why a scope on a 65 would be retarded, I actually think it is going to be pretty cool if I can ever find a good mounting system that someone has IN STOCK. One good reason for having scope is picking off  Idiots from a longer distance if you know what I mean! Thanks for your opinion tho! Does anyone else think that it would be a retarded idea to put a scope on a 65.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 2:24:59 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Please enlighten me  on why a scope on a 65 would be retarded, I actually think it is going to be pretty cool if I can ever find a good mounting system that someone has IN STOCK. One good reason for having scope is picking off  Idiots from a longer distance if you know what I mean! Thanks for your opinion tho! Does anyone else think that it would be a retarded idea to put a scope on a 65.

1.  Practice with your irons.

2.  Get a PK-A series or Kobra if you must have an optic.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 8:48:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Sorry to be blunt and not provide a reason why.

If you ever worked with flat top M4s/Ars with optics, then you have experience a usable cheek weld.  Will some complain the M4 with telestock leaves much to be desired in the way of a good cheek weld, it is still usable.

The AMD-65 has the wire stock that sits way to low to provide any cheek weld.  Basically, you have to float your head to look down the sights.

I believe gun was primarily meant for tanker use and its function was to offer some scary supression fire.

I have one along side of me right now and after thinking about it and examining it, the rear sight is useless.  Without a cheek weld you are never going to get consistant sight allignment or picture.

Therefore, I would probably only use the front sight for quick shots.  You could use the front & rear sights for longer distance shots provided you had time to aim.

In light of these thoughts, you optic idea might not be all that bad.  Some thing like a reflex or EO Tech allow for a wide open look with a pointer/retical on one lense.

I think a traditional scope would be a nightmare.  You have to allign your eye through the scope and maintain eye-to-scope distance /relief.  Without a proper stock and cheek weld, it is useless & inconsistant.

I only thing I would consider using my AMD -65 for would be a vehicle gun because it is extremely short with the stock folded. But in that situation, I wouldn't bulk it up with optics or anything else.  

My M4 is only 5 to 6" longer with stock colapsed compared to the AMD-65 stock folded.

FYI my AMD-65 & M4 are a little over 16" bbl with the permanent attchments acounted for.

Going back to the vehicle case, it would probably still be easier to deploy my sidearm, then get the M4  if I had to.

The stock folded AMD65 would be a spray and pray.  Unfolding the stock isn't quick and graceful either. With the m4 stock is extended with ease uber quickly.

Link Posted: 2/10/2006 7:55:09 AM EDT
[#7]
Puttin a scope on an AMD-65 is like putting a telestock on a Garand.

You just don`t do that.

If you need to scope an AK get a Dragonov or a PSL
Page AK-47 » Hungarian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top