Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 8/19/2005 2:02:28 AM EDT
Alright Im building an AKS-74 and a polish 47 U/F.   I need some optics for the 74, but which is best?  I like the kobra but it looks like the cheek weld would have to be kinda high.  Is this true?  

Which type is "supposed" to go on the AKS-74?

any info on the various types of com-blok optics is greatly appreciated...and pics too.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 5:25:41 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 6:06:08 AM EDT
[#2]
I beleave the PO3.5 have reticles that correspond with the 5.45x39mm balistics.

Spud47
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 8:57:38 PM EDT
[#3]
This could be bad..............I want to put an Eotech on my  SAM 7.  I love the Eotech.... have one on my AR, turns a
Good Rifle into a Deadly Rifle.   Who makes a good Optics mount for one ??
Flame ON
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 9:01:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Optics for an AK???? That's easy...ya don't need any.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 3:10:04 AM EDT
[#5]
Just put a red dot on it.

Great fun.

Link Posted: 8/20/2005 4:52:48 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Who makes a good Optics mount for one ??

My brother has this mount for his AK(K-Var), it's a great mount, easy to adjust for tightness and it sits centered over the rifle ...
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 6:39:26 PM EDT
[#7]
I am looking for the proper red dot..

I have been shopping around and checking the specs.

I have got some good feed back from the guys here on the board.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 7:14:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Well it all starts with the Retina.....Finishes nearby

Link Posted: 8/23/2005 7:45:26 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
This could be bad..............I want to put an Eotech on my  SAM 7.  I love the Eotech.... have one on my AR, turns a
Good Rifle into a Deadly Rifle.   Who makes a good Optics mount for one ??
Flame ON

Get a side rail mount for it, the BP-02 should work, if not, IOR makes a picatinny spec side rail mount but it's more expensive.

I'm an Aimpoint guy myself.

There is nothing wrong with putting a quality modern optic on your AK.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 7:49:55 PM EDT
[#10]
In order of price..

PK-AV: cheap, rugged, allows the use of irons while mounted

Kobra: still relatively cheap, 4 different rets, uses easy to find AA batteries (03M model) does not allow the use of irons while mounted, mount is less rigid then the PK-AV

PK-AS: relatively expensive, black dot / red dot (you dont need power to use the optic), allows the use of irons, slightly lower sight line then the kobra

Those are the only three i really know anything about.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 4:09:45 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Kobra: still relatively cheap, 4 different rets, uses easy to find AA batteries (03M model) does not allow the use of irons while mounted, mount is less rigid then the PK-AV

PK-AS: relatively expensive, black dot / red dot (you dont need power to use the optic), allows the use of irons, slightly lower sight line then the kobra

Those are the only three i really know anything about.

I think the Pk-As is what Im leaning towards right now.  I looks like it sits kinda high though.

My other thought is to do something a little less conventional and have 48thhighlander (who is going to build my AK's for me) do something like this:

Im just not sure if I want to break away from the "pure form".
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 5:04:43 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 5:23:32 AM EDT
[#13]
I'll mostly just be blasting out to about 150-200yds max.

Anybody know how's the checkweld on the PK-AS?
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 12:02:14 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Anybody know how's the checkweld on the PK-AS?

Nonexistent.  I don't think any Russian optics work with a cheekweld.  They are either too high or offset to the left.  If you want a cheekweld I think you're going to be better off using a scout type mount.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 12:09:30 PM EDT
[#15]
http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=1571&title=AK-47+SCOPE+MOUNT

That mount works!!! I have the dreaded blue ring copy on mine.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 2:21:26 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Nonexistent.  I don't think any Russian optics work with a cheekweld.  They are either too high or offset to the left.  If you want a cheekweld I think you're going to be better off using a scout type mount.

Fortunately for a lefty like me, my PK-A (mounts low and left) gives a decent easily repeatable cheek weld, repeatable is important because it isn't parallax free.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 3:43:52 PM EDT
[#17]
Moo

I like my Kobra........
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 4:23:28 PM EDT
[#18]
Cheek weld? On an AK stock?
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top