Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Romanian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 6/21/2003 1:08:19 PM EDT
At the range, when they cease fire, the range officers walk down to inspect the firarms to make sure they're safe before allowing target retrieval.
Is there an easy way to hold open the bolt?
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 1:13:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Pull the bolt back, squeeze the trigger while it's held back all the way, let the bolt go forward.  It should stay open.
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 1:19:31 PM EDT
[#2]
How simple, yet effective...thanks!!
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 4:12:20 PM EDT
[#3]
I've been wondering this myself.  I tried Gloftoe's suggestion, but the bolt doesn't stay in place.  It slides home.  I once saw a guy at the range that used a plastic or wood dowel that was bright orange in color.  He would stick it in the action to hold the bolt back.  I never got a good look at it to see how it was constructed, but I figured I should be able to figure it out.

NRA Life Member
GOA Life Member
SAF Supporter
SAS Supporter

Link Posted: 6/21/2003 6:03:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Weird.  Works on my SAR-1.
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 8:23:38 PM EDT
[#5]
I tried it with my VEPR II. If I gently allow the bolt to go forward after pulling the trigger, it does hold. However, if seems like it could fly forward at any moment. In fact, if I tap the bolt handle it will fly forward. If I just let it go after pulling the trigger, the bolt slams home. I haven't tried it with my SAR-2.

NRA Life Member
GOA Life Member
SAF Supporter
SAS Supporter
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 5:39:30 PM EDT
[#6]
I've tried that trick on my Norinco, PolyTec and SLR-100 and it ONLY works on my SAR-1, go figure...

BISHOP
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 6:52:31 AM EDT
[#7]
cool.  it doesn't work with the top cover off.
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 7:10:23 AM EDT
[#8]
You can dremel a notch out of the safety that creates a catch for the bolt. I saw that on Mail Call.
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 7:50:08 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 9:57:50 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
the nra sells plastic range flags for a buch a pop.

call the 1-800 number on the webstore site.

I found them at the NRA web store.  They are called Open Bolt Indicators.  How do they work?

NRA Life Member
GOA Life Member
SAF Supporter
SAS Supporter
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 10:47:00 PM EDT
[#11]
I just open the bolt and stick a piece of brass in.
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 11:11:54 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I just open the bolt and stick a piece of brass in.

Yep, that's exactly what I do. It's what the range officer did for me the first time I had it and I've followed his example ever since! :)
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 12:51:55 PM EDT
[#13]
I do the brass trick myself when needed.  Between my Clayco and Legend the bolt only stays open on the Clayco but it doesn't take much to start it forward again.
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 2:37:18 PM EDT
[#14]
Remember to leave little pinkeys out of way and tap it very litely to load round. Otherwise leave bolt close keeps out the dirt.
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 10:37:20 AM EDT
[#15]
wow, learn something new everyday...

tried it on my SAR-1 last night and works great
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 5:55:18 PM EDT
[#16]
My new Laminated Sar from AIM came with a plastic range tag.
Link Posted: 8/4/2003 9:50:02 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
You can dremel a notch out of the safety that creates a catch for the bolt. I saw that on Mail Call.

Is it the safety lever on the outer right side of the receiver that gets notched?
Should the bolt be full rear travel, or forward a bit from full rear, when marking the notch point?

Maadi bolt stays back when using the bolt back/hold trigger method. Have had the bolt release when rifle or bolt bumped using this method. Would like to do the notch mod to keep the bolt open more securely for quick bore cleans(without bolt/carrier removal) and range safety.
Link Posted: 8/7/2003 4:08:05 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Is it the safety lever on the outer right side of the receiver that gets notched?
Should the bolt be full rear travel, or forward a bit from full rear, when marking the notch point?

Maadi bolt stays back when using the bolt back/hold trigger method. Have had the bolt release when rifle or bolt bumped using this method. Would like to do the notch mod to keep the bolt open more securely for quick bore cleans(without bolt/carrier removal) and range safety.

I was thinking of doing the same thing. I have one of the orange flags, but it's kinda flimsy and gets bent up. Has anyone else done this? I'm a little reluctant to carve up my safety lever without having an extra one on hand.

Yeah, it would be the large safety lever on the outer right side. It doesn't really matter how far back you make it, though I suppose being all the way back would make it easier to engage.
Link Posted: 8/8/2003 10:39:54 PM EDT
[#19]
My SAR's bolt will stay to the rear, until the wind blows and it slams forward. My Hungarian stays open pretty well, but it doesn't take much for it to fly forward either. I would not rely on this method as a safety feature. It is not a design feature of the weapon, merely a display of friction. I also use a piece of brass to hold it open, there is always a .308 case lying around at the range, I have never had a problem when using this method, it works well for pistols (or any other gun)that does not have a hold open feature. I have heard rumors of some hungarian mags that had a bolt hold open feature on them, but I have never seen them, nor do I have any idea how they work. I at one time contemplated taking the dremel to the safety lever and making a notch, but I got concerned that the lever is made of pretty flimsy sheet metal, and assume that before long it would get deformed by the pressure of the bolt resting on the notch, fo I decided to stick with the random piece of brass bit. If any body knows of a way to add a reliable bolt hold open to the AK I would love to know about it, and if anybody can attest to the notched safety lever not getting bent up by repeated use I may have to rethink it.
Page AK-47 » Romanian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top