Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Romanian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 8/1/2004 11:16:58 AM EDT
Are the romanian pump action AK's imported by Century Arms of good quality?
Average retail price? http://centuryarms.com/store/media/RI1091.jpg
Link Posted: 8/1/2004 2:33:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Haven't handled any personally but they're still Romanian built.  Not something that the Century gun-monkeys cobbled together like the CETME & FAL they sold.  I've considered getting one just because of it's ability to ignore assault weapon & import laws being manually operated.  Folding stock, no sec 922 compliance parts needed, etc.  I think they were getting down to less than $200 or so last I checked but that could have been FFL dealer prices.
Link Posted: 8/1/2004 4:26:04 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Haven't handled any personally but they're still Romanian built.  Not something that the Century gun-monkeys cobbled together like the CETME & FAL they sold.  I've considered getting one just because of it's ability to ignore assault weapon & import laws being manually operated.  Folding stock, no sec 922 compliance parts needed, etc.  I think they were getting down to less than $200 or so last I checked but that could have been FFL dealer prices.

I was about to post the following....

"Good gawd why?"

But negating the AWB, and as a survival packing rifle with a folding stock and 5,10,20,30,40, and 75 round mags... Might be pretty handy... If you could get any accuracy out of it.

Sly
Link Posted: 8/14/2004 1:36:26 AM EDT
[#3]
They are on par with the SAR rifles as far as fit and finish goes. I have fired a couple hundred rounds through it and it functioned fine. It takes a little getting used to and I have not shot any groups with it yet. All parts except the barrel,pump action parts and front sight are standard AKM parts. It has the recoil spring so the the pump action is spring assisted on closing.

Link Posted: 8/16/2004 11:44:30 AM EDT
[#4]
...If it's possible to use said firearm's receiver for an AK build... Might be worth doing.
Link Posted: 8/16/2004 1:18:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/16/2004 6:19:49 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
...If it's possible to use said firearm's receiver for an AK build... Might be worth doing.

that would be an expensive receiver if thats all you were to use it for.
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 5:15:02 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 7:26:01 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 7:45:49 PM EDT
[#9]
It is the same chrome lined barrel as used on other Romaniam AK rifles just that it is turned down to one diameter from the gas block foreword and doesn't have the gas hole drilled in it. So making it into a semi auto would required a gas hole drilled in the barrel and a new gas block,handgaurd retatiner,handguards,piston,gas tube,and US parts added. Just not cost effective as a hi cap WASR-10 rifle would cost less.  
Century Arms had the pump AK rifles made and imported them to sell in California. A pump AK rifle that could use hi cap AK mags would have sold like ice water in hell there. But California firearms laws had changed by the time the rifles were imported and offered for sale by Century Arms. So they were banned for sale in California. With no where to sell them sales of a $498 pump AK rifle were pretty much zero till they dropped the price to under $250.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 7:05:47 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Quoted:
that would be an expensive receiver if thats all you were to use it for.

...Well, obviously, you have extra parts, too.

Stock, grip, FCS, ect.
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 5:36:21 PM EDT
[#11]
They are still for sale in CA. Just got one for $199....
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 9:21:01 AM EDT
[#12]
So, I've seen this in .223 and now your pic is the 7.62 x 39. Is there any other calibers? .410 perhaps?
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 8:05:27 PM EDT
[#13]
Finally I have found some info on these including pics of the internals, I am in Australia, a shipment of these came in direct from Romanian and were seized due to the fact they can be easily converted, i am looking at purchasing  a couple in the US, having the piston like part of the carrier removed, and replaced with an action bar set up.  I have funds in the US and a FFL who can handle the transaction, my questions are

1.  Who still sells these guns, I want the Par1 7.62x39mm gun, I am NOT interested in the .223 model (already have a pump action Galil)

2.  Is there any reliable/honest gunsmith/FFL who can do the machine work for me

3.  Does anyone have one for sale, and any parts to suit....like a spare handguard or 2 or a pump..In case some of you have converted yours to semis and no longer need them.

Please email me at [email protected]  if you can help, this is a genuine ad, I am only new to this forum, but have excellent ebay feedback (timmy4055)

Thanks

Tim
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 4:57:30 PM EDT
[#14]
Century Arms imported the pump AK rifles so contact them.
There were only two models imported.
PAR-1=7.62x39mm
PAR-3=5.56x45mm/223 Remington

Link Posted: 9/7/2004 8:15:48 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

+1
Page AK-47 » Romanian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top