Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 12/12/2005 3:06:29 PM EDT
ok bought the riveting jaws from ak-builder, i guess he dont sell them anymore they arent on the website. i got the fron trunions done fine. it came with another piece to do the rear trunions- but i vcant get the jaws open enough to get them around both ends on the rear rivet. what am i doing wrong? i have them on the harbor freight 18 inch bolt cutters. any help appreciated and thanks!
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 4:38:41 PM EDT
[#1]
The bolt cutter tool is used for the front rivets. I use a vice for the rear rivets.

Sign_Wolfman
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 4:46:27 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
The bolt cutter tool is used for the front rivets. I use a vice for the rear rivets.

Sign_Wolfman

Exactly.  You don't use the bolt cutters for the rear.  I also use a vise for the rear rivets.  Make a divot plate for the rivet head and squeeze.  Sometimes the rear rivet is too long.  I have it stick out 3/16" before I squeeze and 1/16" after I squeeze in the vise.
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 5:16:18 PM EDT
[#3]
I have used the bolt cutters for my underfolder polish build ( both front and rear trunnion) and my saiga12 conversion.  (Rivets just above pistol grip)
I had to modify my 18 inch bolt cutters. Had to open them up more to reach deeper. Not a big deal
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 5:50:49 PM EDT
[#4]
I think he's talking about the long rear rivets.
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 10:37:55 AM EDT
[#5]
I form my rear rivets with a hammer.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 4:16:05 AM EDT
[#6]
well thanks guys. that explains it. well looks like i ned another one of those divot plates. thanks again!! mike
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 4:52:02 AM EDT
[#7]
Hammer
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 6:03:38 AM EDT
[#8]

Start the heads with a ball peen hammer, then crush in a vice with divot plates.
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top