Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 10/8/2005 6:48:52 PM EDT
Just made up a rivet masher from a set of home depot 24" bolt cutters. The only problem is that to get the surface area needed, I had to grind the face of the cutter, as we all do, but in doing so there is not enough reach to flatten a rivet. Completly closed, it will hold a rivet tightly but will not compress it at all. I have an idea on what to do but was wondering if anyone else might spew forth from a similar experience.
Link Posted: 10/8/2005 7:39:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes, I know exactly what you mean. If you look at the photo of my bolt cutter, I had welded a 1/2" thick block of steel to the one jaw so it could fully compress the rivet. Then the block had a dimple drilled into it that supports the rivet head.

Link Posted: 10/8/2005 7:50:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Did you try adjusting the one jaw using the adjusting bolt? It's visible on the lower part of the above pic. Loosen the bottom bolt, adjust with the top and then tighten the bottom to hold the adjustment. Thats all I had to do to increase crush.
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 5:58:03 AM EDT
[#3]
Unfortunately, mine are from home depot and don't have the adjusting screw.
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top