Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 1/5/2006 3:47:19 PM EDT
Question.

For forming a .327 diameter, .140 high round head on a 3/16" diameter rivet, what length should I have extending beyond the surface ?

I purchased from McMaster Carr:

#97300a677 rivets
2" long
3/16" diam
head is .327 diam, 0.140 high.

The 2" length is more than needed for use in the rear trunion....but I need to know just what length to cut it to , to leave enough material to form a nice round head when squishing the rivet.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 11:35:03 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't know the exact dimensions, but I have found that leaving 3/16" of rivet extending past the receiver will leave just the right amount of material to form a round head exactly like the other side of a standard rear trunnion rivet.

However, I used the correct metric rivots that are slightly smaller than the 3/16" rivets you want to use.  I believe you will have to drill out the trunnion holes to fit the larger rivets.

I have found that is is better to start the head formation with light taps from a hammer.  Then I use a small piece of metal with a divot in the press to finish the head.

I don't have a plinker's jig...
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 11:11:23 PM EDT
[#2]
if you can find 3/16" X 1 1/2" they are good for AMD rear trunions. you do need to drill them out with a 3/16 cobalt though.

\so, to answer your question, less than than 1/4" sticking out on a 3/16" dia rivet. and more than a 1/8

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top