Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 10/14/2004 7:17:30 AM EST
wanna say hi since i am usually in the ar15 forum

i wanted to know how hard is replacing the trigger group on my sar1 is going to be.

will replacing the trigger reduce or eliminate the trigger slap?

i have read that the red star arms trigger is by far the best but i cant to spend that kind of money right now so i will have to settle for less and i dont like the idea of having an adjustable trigger on it.

also if i buy a us made gas piston will it come with what i will need to install it? i read somewhere that you had to drill out a pin and then install one/

any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 7:29:05 AM EST
Installing a good trigger group should eliminate trigger slap. If you can't afford the RSA trigger I would get a G2 group from TAPCO. I like mine. And zero trigger slap. And they are VERY easy to install. It doesn't take more than 10 minutes.

The gas piston is a PITA. First you have to locate where it was pinned. Then drill it out. Then screw in the new piston. Then you need a drill press to drill a hole through the new gas piston. And then you have to drive in a new pin and do some other stuff.

I had my uncle do it at his machine shop...so I am not sure what exactly he did.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 7:34:03 AM EST
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 8:59:16 AM EST
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 9:21:14 AM EST
And a plug for Red Star Arms' replacement for the shepherd's crook: www.redstararms.com/497.htm

If you are easily frustrated by little wire retainers (like I am) then this is a few bucks well spent
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 4:59:59 AM EST
As others have mentioned your SAR1 already has a US made piston in it.

On top of that, the ass clowns at century WELD the piston in, so it's not as simple as punching out a pin.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 11:09:08 AM EST
I wouldn't replace the gas piston unless you really need one for U.S. count purposes. Only reason I changed mine is because I wanted a pistol grip and my MAK90 came with all chinese parts. So I had to change some stuff. Now I am legal for a CAR stock. Sweet. I wish it would hurry up and get here.
Top Top