Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/19/2017 7:27:10 PM
Posted: 1/10/2006 6:54:55 AM EDT
well, i was dumb and left my AK mags in the back of my car after i shot them, and 2 weeks later i take them out and find speckles of rust on the lip area where the mag clips into the gun and vertical lip that runs down the entire length of the mag.
I would like to refinish these mags. I am getting some of that POR 15 paint for my car's rust, and it is supposedly the best paint in regards to adhering to rust/surfaces as well as not chipping cracking or allowing what it is on to rust.
my question is, will i be able to clean it with hopes 9 without eating away at the paint?
I do not notice paint being removed when i clean the mags now with hopes, but then again i do not know what the mags are painted with.
thanks
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 7:37:11 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/10/2006 7:38:42 AM EDT by longhorn789]
I removed rust off some CETME mags by rubbing them down with fine steel wool. It worked great and went very fast.

This may be especially good for you since you're intending on painting them. Removing the surface rust, and at the same time roughing up all the surfaces prior to painting will make the paint adhere better. Just wipe everything down real well with a lint free cloth and be sure to not use anything with oil on it before painting. Any oil on the mag will mess up the paint of course.

After painting, I see no reason to use Hoppes. Just use regular gun oil if you need to wipe them down.

Good luck!
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 8:45:13 AM EDT
ok, should i take the time to remove all the prior paint with a wire brush or sand blaster?
i have access to both. i want to do a quality job on it since i am useing 60$ a gallon paint on it...
thanks
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 10:41:46 AM EDT
You can leave the old paint on. Just go over them well with 0000 wool and then wipe them down
with acetone. I used a super acrylic hidurability spray. I have tossed them around and crammed them together in ammo boxes and no paint has come off save a little at the top of the magwell.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 2:14:07 PM EDT
One thing about POR 15 is that I think it is not resistant to UV rays from the sun. So if you do a lot of shooting outside in the sun they may peel. Maybe you could top coat the POR 15 with another paint?
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 2:36:02 PM EDT
If you have a sandblaster, why don't you disassemble the mag, blast it, then use a spray on finish? I did this to with gun kote to match the rest of the kit. They look good.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 4:32:55 PM EDT
tag
Top Top