Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 9/29/2004 9:38:50 AM EDT
I am doing an amd 65 build and for some reason I lined the rear trunnion up with the back of the receiver.  Now there is too much space and the bolt carrier get pushed up and gets stuck on the back of the top rails so it won't action(only tried by hand).  Is there any thing I can do with out redrilling the holes?  I was thinking that a recoil buffer might keep it from traveling back that far.  Think it could work?  I also can't get the top cover on. I saw this some where before but can't find it now.  Any help will be extremely helpful.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 12:23:08 AM EDT
[#1]
if the top cover won't fit, then you need to remove the rear trunnion/stock tang, and reposition it so the cover will fit. Putting in a buffer is a good idea regardless.
OJF
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 7:11:18 AM EDT
[#2]
The right way, would be to redrill the trunnion holes and position the trunion where it's suppose to be.
Refill the previous holes with JB weld, by sanding smooth and repainting or parking no one could ever tell except you.
I've had to use this method on a few vulcan receivers where the holes were misplaced.
Before setting rivets or screws check allignment for the receiver cover.
Hope this helps,
-Shadow-    
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 6:55:53 AM EDT
[#3]
Will the jb weld hold up though in just the hole or should I also jb weld the whole trunnion in the receiver before putting the screws in?
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 3:06:02 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Will the jb weld hold up though in just the hole or should I also jb weld the whole trunnion in the receiver before putting the screws in?

What exactly do you mean by "Jb welding the whole trunion"?
I was simply talking about using the "Jb" as a (filler) for the holes that don't line up with the trunion. The exsisting holes that (Don't line up).
Drill new holes in the receiver for the correct placement of the trunion.
Test allignment of the cover first, than drill.
Hope this helps,
-Shadow-
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 3:11:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Wickerman,
Go to "Ace arms" and check out the building tutorial for there blank receiver.
This may give you a better idea of fitting the rear trunion.
-Shadow-
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 9:14:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the advise, I have yet to redrill my holes but if I clamp every thing in place, the bolt carrier still gets hung up on the back of the top rails.  Even if I move the trunnion so far in that the cover doesn't fit the carrier still gets caught.  Should I remove material off the front of the cover to make it fit?  I am still very lost.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 5:27:13 AM EDT
[#7]
Sounds like a rear trunion height issue instead , that would explain why your bolt carrier is wanting to jump out of there and get hung on the top rails. On several of my rear trunions I had to mill down the bottom of them to get it to where it should be aligned with the top rear mounting rails on the receiver, is yours lined up good there?
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top