Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 1/8/2006 3:01:17 PM EDT
i just started my first romney build with no problems so far. i am however having a problem locating oversized ( diameter) rear trunion rivets as mine got enlarged when i drilled the old ones out does any one have a source for these? please don't suggest globel arms i have e-mailed them with no response and have tried to call them with no success.
p.s by just reading the advice on this forum it's been quite simple great stuff keep up the good work
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 4:23:50 PM EDT
[#1]
alot of guys use a 3/16 rivet in the rear wich is oversized orig is 4.5mm (i think)
and almost all the guys selling rivets on the ee are selling 3/16 long rivets
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 4:23:30 PM EDT
[#2]
ok thanks socandyman mine are 4.29 (tapco rivets) with the rear trunion holes comming in at 4.69 and 4.95 this seems a little excessive??? will i be ok with what i have?? if not where are you getting your rivets from or are you making your own??? i have built a 1919a4 belt fed making some of my own ( not pretty but it worked!) this romney kit is sort of pratice for the amd65 kit that i want to turn out nice so any advice is welcome
thanks in advance
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 9:57:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Dont know if this would work but I dont see why not.
Could you refill the holes with something like J B Weld and then drill them back to the correct size?
It would not be visible and jb is quite strong.

I may have accidently enlarged mine while trying to drill out those stubborn rear rivets so I have been thinking about this.

Good luck!!
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 11:25:54 PM EDT
[#4]
I have a similar issue with my first build (romy).  I had no problems removing the rear trunnion rivets and I am positive that I didn't drill into the sides of the trunnion, but the diameter of my rivets that I got from akparts.com is a pretty loose fit inside the diameter of the holes.  Using the mic, I got the inner diameter of the trunnion holes as 3/16 and the outer diameter of the rivet to be about  5/32.  This doesn't seem right since A) the old rivets were quite snug and B) common sense states that the recoil could cause the receiver to shift since there is an OPEN SPACE at a connection point.  Did I get a janked set of rivets?

Thanks

Edit:  After looking at akparts.com again and seeing that I was supposed to get .2" rivets for the rear trunnion I have found that I did indeed get the wrong rivets...  I guess I'll just use drive screws...
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 3:17:22 AM EDT
[#5]
ok guys
some dealers sell a 5/32 long rivet (tapco used to sell these but has since fixed there rivets to correct size)

if your hole is 3/16 you drilled it out with a 3/16 bit and opend the hole
best way to remove rivets is drill 4/5 the way threw with 5/32 and punch it out

there is no need to use jb weld and it has no place on a gun (not being an eliteist just what i think)

2 solutions to a 5/32 rivet
1st drill out the center of the rivet with a 5/32 and leave the rest in
2nd if you have already drilled your holes drill your rec with a 5/32 and squish with air hammer/rivet set (press cant be used will just cause mess)

hope this helps you  
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top