Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 7/11/2010 10:19:23 AM EDT
I have a mak 90 sporter, and im looking to change the furniture a bit. I cant tell if its stamped or milled. Is there a tell-tell sign? I think its stamped.
Also, it has a single tang coming out of the back of the receiver. Will a romanian side folding stock fit this?
It came with a thumbhole style stock, and I am planning to put a ergo grip on it (love those grips lol). What do I need to get as far as stocks are concerned in order to meet compliance?
Link Posted: 7/11/2010 10:37:14 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I have a mak 90 sporter, and im looking to change the furniture a bit. I cant tell if its stamped or milled. Is there a tell-tell sign? I think its stamped.
Also, it has a single tang coming out of the back of the receiver. Will a romanian side folding stock fit this?
It came with a thumbhole style stock, and I am planning to put a ergo grip on it (love those grips lol). What do I need to get as far as stocks are concerned in order to meet compliance?

is there rivets in the rear and front of the receiver? if so it is a stamped
Link Posted: 7/11/2010 10:43:50 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

A stamped receiver is made of sheet metal and will have a dimple on each side above the mag well, it will also have two rivets at the rear holding the stock tang block and three rivets to a side holding the barrel trunnion in place.  A milled receiver is milled from solid bar stock steel and would have fairly long lightning cuts on each side.  the rivets will be lacking.

No. A Romanian sidefolding stock will not "fit" though it can be made to work halfassed with only one screw lining up to secure it if you have a stamped receiver

Get an Ironwood stockset for the proper receiver.  As for compliance parts first determine which type receiver you have and whether you will be using a threaded muzzle device

Link Posted: 7/11/2010 10:50:24 AM EDT
[#3]
A milled receiver is from a solid billet of steel.  It's aesthetically noticeable due to the elongated rectangular pattern of lightening cut just above the magazine well.  It looks like this:

A stamped receiver is from a sheet of stamped metal that's been folded into shape.  It's aesthetically noticeable due to the "dimple" or oval indentation just above the magazine well.  It looks like this:

Some MAK-90's have the back of their receiver "slant cut" which makes putting on a standard military-style buttstock noticeably odd, but it will work:

You can fit a Romanian side-folding buttstock onto your receiver but it will take some modification to fit.  Keep in mind that once you begin altering the original look of rifle, you're going to need to get the correct number of compliance parts.
Link Posted: 7/11/2010 12:52:59 PM EDT
[#4]
ok, its a stamped receiver. too bad a side folder wont work. I really like the look of them (looks like ill be buying another ak in the future)
Can you have more compliance parts than necessary? A stock set I was looking at counted as 3 compliance parts i think, and i might put that on this. (This rifle is stock, so i would assume it is in compliance)this kit

Also, the receiver cover has a big rail riveted on top. i dont like this, but cant get it off. Anyone know where a replacement cover can be found?
Link Posted: 7/11/2010 1:38:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
ok, its a stamped receiver. too bad a side folder wont work. I really like the look of them (looks like ill be buying another ak in the future)
Can you have more compliance parts than necessary? A stock set I was looking at counted as 3 compliance parts i think, and i might put that on this. (This rifle is stock, so i would assume it is in compliance)this kit

Also, the receiver cover has a big rail riveted on top. i dont like this, but cant get it off. Anyone know where a replacement cover can be found?

you can have all the compliance parts you like as long as there are no more than 10 import part. i bought a ak with one of those receiver cover rails. mine was a Chinese with a rail on it. i replaced it with a romy (the rifle was a WUM romy) finding a Chinese might be hard. i think a Bulgarian might fit and it is smooth instead of ribbed.
Link Posted: 7/11/2010 2:29:12 PM EDT
[#6]
https://www.apexgunparts.com/product_info.php/cPath/21_89/products_id/1284

I had some smooth ones but I sold them to guys here last month

http://stores.polytechparts.com/-strse-418/Grip-Connecting-Screw%2C-AKS/Detail.bok
Link Posted: 7/11/2010 2:57:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
ok, its a stamped receiver. too bad a side folder wont work.
A Romy sidefolder buttstock will work just fine. 10 minutes with a bastard file is all it takes. The Chinese receiver is 1.6 mm thick, but the Romy & most European receivers are 1.0 mm thick, so you have to take a few thou off each of the 4 sides of the Buttstock where it slides into the receiver. A dremel would probably be quicker, but I wanted to keep the sides flat, so I used a file.  GARY  N4KVE

Link Posted: 7/11/2010 3:03:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
A Romy sidefolder buttstock will work just fine. 10 minutes with a bastard file is all it takes. The Chinese receiver is 1.6 mm thick, but the Romy & most European receivers are 1.0 mm thick, so you have to take a few thou off each of the 4 sides of the Buttstock where it slides into the receiver. A dremel would probably be quicker, but I wanted to keep the sides flat, so I used a file.  GARY  N4KVE

And only one screw will be able to line up instead of two.

Link Posted: 7/11/2010 5:26:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

you can have all the compliance parts you like as long as there are no more than 10 import part. i bought a ak with one of those receiver cover rails. mine was a Chinese with a rail on it. i replaced it with a romy (the rifle was a WUM romy) finding a Chinese might be hard. i think a Bulgarian might fit and it is smooth instead of ribbed.

ill look into it. thanks for the info. a smooth one is just fine for me lol.

I just got to looking and I see a website selling East German receiver covers that they say "fit all versions of AK" for $20. they are ribbed on top, but thats ok with me.
I also looked into East German side folding stocks, and i think it might fit a single tang receiver. It doesnt look like it needs a bolt through the bottom of the stock.
Link Posted: 7/11/2010 7:21:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

And only one screw will be able to line up instead of two.

This is correct, but after 4 years of use, it really doesn't matter. Still tight as a virgin. LOL. It's not like driving a car & using 3 lugnuts instead of 5 on each wheel. Since you're filing your folding stock to fit, you just don't file too much so it's still a tight fit. Then the 1 screw is all that's needed to hold the buttstock in place.  GARY  N4KVE
Link Posted: 7/12/2010 8:08:01 AM EDT
[#11]
ok, i have been trying hard to find info about 922r compliance for my norinco. ive found its year of manufacture to be 1994, but i cannot find which parts are US and which parts are foreign. This is a stock norinco mak-90 (7.62x39mm). Does anyone have a list of what parts in this gun are US?

From what ive read, the thumbhone stock and handguard on this rifle is chinese manufacture, so my thinking is that a US pistol grip and handguard would offset a non-US stock. I would prefer not to change the FCG or bolt assembly of this rifle. I guess the more I look into this stuff, the more confused i get.

does anyone have a list of the US parts used in a Norinco mak-90 sporter?

mine pretty much looks exactly like this, but with 5rd mag
Link Posted: 7/12/2010 9:15:40 AM EDT
[#12]
You'd be hard pressed not to change out the FCG. Your best bet is to swap out the FCG which is three parts. Then switching out the stock, pistol grip and handguards will give you another three parts. You should be good to go if you do those as it will give you 6 US parts. Other options instead of the FCG would be the gas piston, magazine floorplate, magazine follower, and muzzle device.

As far as I know, there are no US parts used in MAK-90's other than what owners of the rifles added to them.
Link Posted: 7/12/2010 9:16:13 AM EDT
[#13]
There are no us parts until you swap them out. Your rifle is all Chinese so in order for you to change any part you then have to comply with 922r which states that you cannot have more than 10 imported parts. If that were my rifle I'd swap the stock, pistol grip, foregrips and FCG. That's what I did with mine.
Link Posted: 7/12/2010 9:19:15 AM EDT
[#14]
As sold originally there are no US parts in your MAK....sorry.

AIRBORNE!!!!!
Link Posted: 7/12/2010 9:21:16 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Other options instead of the FCG would be the gas piston, magazine floorplate, magazine follower, and muzzle device.

FWIW worth I wouldn't go this route. I wouldn't have to worry about what magazines I could use or not use. The best mags IMO are the original milsurp metal ones. You can get the TAPCO FCG to be as smooth as an original Chinese by polishing the contact points and it's easy to swap out so to me a US stock set and FCG are a no brainer. YMMV

Link Posted: 7/12/2010 9:25:23 AM EDT
[#16]
+1  I agree. Worrying about the mags would be a pain in the ass, and I prefer to not go this route. The Tapco G2 trigger is the way to go.
Link Posted: 7/12/2010 9:44:07 AM EDT
[#17]
I should have refreshed this before I emailed the BATFE for import information about Norinco firearms.
Thank you guys for the info. It looks like I will have to change the FCG with the Tapco stuff. I would still like to add a side folding stock, so it looks like I will only have 5 parts after changing the grip and hand guards. My barrel isn't threaded so I should be compliant right? If I did thread my barrel though, and put a smith enterprises vortex on it, would it still be compliant?

Lastly, I think I will make my own hand guards. Does this count as US manufacture?
Link Posted: 7/12/2010 10:30:20 AM EDT
[#18]
Why would you contact the BATF for any reason?
Link Posted: 7/12/2010 10:35:16 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Ive contacted them before for information about state gun laws. Not everyone that works there is evil.
Link Posted: 7/12/2010 10:42:17 AM EDT
[#20]
If you want to add a sidefolder, as long as it US made it will still count obviously, so as far as I know you should still be good. If you wanted to add a foreign made folding stock, then I would suggest adding a US gas piston, although it is a little labor intensive. If you make your own handguards they would still count towards compliance, but I don't know why you would bother with all the US manufacturers out there that make them.
Link Posted: 7/12/2010 10:48:43 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ive contacted them before for information about state gun laws. Not everyone that works there is evil.

There is nothing concerning a MAK-90 you need to contact the BATF about that you can not learn by asking on forums if you take the time.

http://home.comcast.net/~jfreeman16/page_2.htm

http://chicom47.com/

Link Posted: 7/12/2010 10:51:53 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
If you want to add a sidefolder, as long as it US made it will still count obviously, so as far as I know you should still be good. If you wanted to add a foreign made folding stock, then I would suggest adding a US gas piston, although it is a little labor intensive. If you make your own handguards they would still count towards compliance, but I don't know why you would bother with all the US manufacturers out there that make them.

Are the US made gas pistons quality on par with foreign manufacture? I want to run this gun hard, but I don't want the gas piston to crack because its a sub par quality part.
I think I have the wood in the garage for building a set of hand guards, that's the only reason I would do it. (it would save me over $25 after S&H). That, and i want a set of straight taper hand guards like yugo AKs have.
Link Posted: 7/12/2010 11:16:22 AM EDT
[#23]
Foreign pistons are chromed, most US pistons are stainless steel.

One member here who has done work polishing European bolt carriers has found a number of bolt carriers which have cracked.  I believe a piston of either type is going to last as long or longer than the bolt carrier which is the weak point of the part due to the thin area of the bolt carrier where a piston is threaded into the part.
Link Posted: 7/12/2010 11:32:21 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Are the US made gas pistons quality on par with foreign manufacture? I want to run this gun hard, but I don't want the gas piston to crack because its a sub par quality part.
I think I have the wood in the garage for building a set of hand guards, that's the only reason I would do it. (it would save me over $25 after S&H). That, and i want a set of straight taper hand guards like yugo AKs have.

I would recommend an Arsenal gas piston. They are known for good quality and would think they are on par with euro manufactued or better.
Link Posted: 7/12/2010 11:34:53 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

There is nothing concerning a MAK-90 you need to contact the BATF about that you can not learn by asking on forums if you take the time.

http://home.comcast.net/~jfreeman16/page_2.htm

http://chicom47.com/

Thank you for the links.

ETA: Thank you for the piston info. I think I might change out the piston if necessary. I have experience with drill presses so this shouldn't be too hard.
looking at this website link, if you uncheck the muzzle attachment (barrels not threaded), trigger, hammer, disconnector, pistol grip, and lastly the handguards, you get a compliant rifle correct? which means that i could still have a non-US buttstock and still be compliant, correct? If so, I will not worry about changing the piston until it breaks. Also, my interpretation of the "muzzle device" requirement is that as long as it has something attached that is of US manufacture, it is ok, right? but does it have to be pinned/welded in place?
Link Posted: 7/12/2010 12:02:10 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
ETA: Thank you for the piston info. I think I might change out the piston if necessary. I have experience with drill presses so this shouldn't be too hard.
looking at this website link, if you uncheck the muzzle attachment (barrels not threaded), trigger, hammer, disconnector, pistol grip, and lastly the handguards, you get a compliant rifle correct? which means that i could still have a non-US buttstock and still be compliant, correct? If so, I will not worry about changing the piston until it breaks. Also, my interpretation of the "muzzle device" requirement is that as long as it has something attached that is of US manufacture, it is ok, right? but does it have to be pinned/welded in place?

If you have the correct number of US parts installed the can have a non-welded muzzle device and the rifle can be in any configuration you choose as long as your state does not have an assault weapon law banning the configuration.  I have never heard of Indiana having an Assault weapon ban.

Indiana[105] has enacted state preemption of firearm laws. However, local laws passed before January 1, 1994[106] or for certain narrowly defined emergency situations are valid. East Chicago and Gary have local laws that still apply. Governing units may restrict firearms possession on public property. Additionally, private businesses may also restrict (or forbid) firearms on their properties. South Bend gun laws are not valid in the state of Indiana as they were passed on February 21, 1994 [107] and therefore were passed after the state preemption.

Indiana is a "shall issue" state for the License to carry a handgun.[108] The Indiana license to carry allows both open and concealed carry. Most Indiana residents confuse the license to carry a handgun with a CCW. A license to carry will be issued to individuals age 18 or older who meet a number of legal requirements. Grounds for disqualification include a conviction for a felony or for misdemeanor domestic battery. A license can also be denied if the applicant has been arrested for a violent crime and "a court has found probable cause to believe that the person committed the offense charged". Documented substance abuse is a disqualifier, as is documented evidence of any given person's "propensity for violent or emotionally unstable conduct."

Application for a license must be made to the local police department, or absent that to the county police department. Four-year and lifetime permits are issued for Indiana residents. Out-of-state residents may only be issued four-year permits.

It is illegal to carry a concealed weapon, even sporting arms, on school property or on a school bus, on an airplane or in the controlled section of an airport, on a riverboat gambling cruise, or at the Indiana State Fair. Lawful gun owners may have guns in their vehicles on school property provided the driver is only transporting someone to, or from, a school event.

Indiana honors CCW licenses issued by every state (Illinois and Wisconsin do not issue CCW licenses), generally including non-resident licenses. However, Indiana residents, or non-residents with a "regular place of business" in Indiana, must obtain an Indiana license.

Firearms dealers or private individuals may not sell any firearm to someone less than 18 years old, or less than 23 years old if the buyer was "adjudicated a delinquent child for an act that would be a felony if committed by an adult", or to a person who is mentally incompetent or is a drug or alcohol abuser. Possession of automatic weapons by individuals or dealers who have obtained the appropriate federal license is permitted.

Short barreled shotguns (barrels under 18", OAL less than 26" length), are prohibited.

Handgun cartridges that have "a projectile that has a metal core and an outer coating of plastic" are prohibited.

Indiana law stands mute vis-à-vis long gun carry. There are some Department of Natural Resources rules, but these only apply on DNR property. Generally speaking, possession of long guns is legal whether the gun is either on one's person or in one's vehicle, loaded or not.

Indiana provides lawsuit protection to law abiding manufacturers, sellers, and trade associations for the misuse of firearms by third parties. Lawsuits are permitted for cases of damage or injury caused by defective firearms or ammunition, or breach of contract or warranty.

Link Posted: 7/12/2010 12:11:40 PM EDT
[#27]
looking at this website link, if you uncheck the muzzle attachment (barrels not threaded), trigger, hammer, disconnector, pistol grip, and lastly the handguards, you get a compliant rifle correct? which means that i could still have a non-US buttstock and still be compliant, correct? If so, I will not worry about changing the piston until it breaks. Also, my interpretation of the "muzzle device" requirement is that as long as it has something attached that is of US manufacture, it is ok, right? but does it have to be pinned/welded in place?[/quote]

(I think) You are okay with 5 US parts if the barrel isn't threaded, and I admit I'm too lazy to count parts at the moment. If you thread the barrel and add a muzzle break it would bump your parts count to six US parts required. So a US muzzle break would be a good thing. It doesn't have to be welded or pinned either.

Someone correct me if I am wrong on this.
Link Posted: 7/12/2010 12:25:57 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you have the correct number of US parts installed the can have a non-welded muzzle device and the rifle can be in any configuration you choose as long as your state does not have an assault weapon law banning the configuration.  I have never heard of Indiana having an Assault weapon ban.

Indiana[105] has enacted state preemption of firearm laws. However, local laws passed before January 1, 1994[106] or for certain narrowly defined emergency situations are valid. East Chicago and Gary have local laws that still apply. Governing units may restrict firearms possession on public property. Additionally, private businesses may also restrict (or forbid) firearms on their properties. South Bend gun laws are not valid in the state of Indiana as they were passed on February 21, 1994 [107] and therefore were passed after the state preemption.

Indiana is a "shall issue" state for the License to carry a handgun.[108] The Indiana license to carry allows both open and concealed carry. Most Indiana residents confuse the license to carry a handgun with a CCW. A license to carry will be issued to individuals age 18 or older who meet a number of legal requirements. Grounds for disqualification include a conviction for a felony or for misdemeanor domestic battery. A license can also be denied if the applicant has been arrested for a violent crime and "a court has found probable cause to believe that the person committed the offense charged". Documented substance abuse is a disqualifier, as is documented evidence of any given person's "propensity for violent or emotionally unstable conduct."

Application for a license must be made to the local police department, or absent that to the county police department. Four-year and lifetime permits are issued for Indiana residents. Out-of-state residents may only be issued four-year permits.

It is illegal to carry a concealed weapon, even sporting arms, on school property or on a school bus, on an airplane or in the controlled section of an airport, on a riverboat gambling cruise, or at the Indiana State Fair. Lawful gun owners may have guns in their vehicles on school property provided the driver is only transporting someone to, or from, a school event.

Indiana honors CCW licenses issued by every state (Illinois and Wisconsin do not issue CCW licenses), generally including non-resident licenses. However, Indiana residents, or non-residents with a "regular place of business" in Indiana, must obtain an Indiana license.

Firearms dealers or private individuals may not sell any firearm to someone less than 18 years old, or less than 23 years old if the buyer was "adjudicated a delinquent child for an act that would be a felony if committed by an adult", or to a person who is mentally incompetent or is a drug or alcohol abuser. Possession of automatic weapons by individuals or dealers who have obtained the appropriate federal license is permitted.

Short barreled shotguns (barrels under 18", OAL less than 26" length), are prohibited.

Handgun cartridges that have "a projectile that has a metal core and an outer coating of plastic" are prohibited.

Indiana law stands mute vis-à-vis long gun carry. There are some Department of Natural Resources rules, but these only apply on DNR property. Generally speaking, possession of long guns is legal whether the gun is either on one's person or in one's vehicle, loaded or not.

Indiana provides lawsuit protection to law abiding manufacturers, sellers, and trade associations for the misuse of firearms by third parties. Lawsuits are permitted for cases of damage or injury caused by defective firearms or ammunition, or breach of contract or warranty.

me either . Looks like I am good to go with a US pistol grip (1), US hand guards (1), and US FCG (3) = 5.
Threading the barrel and adding a vortex seems like it would add (1) bringing me up to 6.
Link Posted: 7/12/2010 1:26:28 PM EDT
[#29]
Now for the most important thing...post pics of that baby when it is finished. I'm having my milled MAK-90 converted to a spike folder with and underfolding stock. I've had to do some research myself. I'm still trying to figure out a way to add on a chinese pistol grip.
Link Posted: 7/12/2010 1:34:25 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Now for the most important thing...post pics of that baby when it is finished. I'm having my milled MAK-90 converted to a spike folder with and underfolding stock. I've had to do some research myself. I'm still trying to figure out a way to add on a chinese pistol grip.

there will be before and after pics. I just have to find the money for the parts. Im thinking of tossing this stock on the rifle. Its surplus romanian. Will this fit on a mak, or does it require a 2 prong extension on the back of the receiver? does anyone have pictures of the romanian side folders and how they attach?
Link Posted: 7/12/2010 1:54:05 PM EDT
[#31]
The Chinese receiver is thicker and has a smaller inside diameter.  You will have to file the stock mounting block on that stock to fit into the receiver.  The stock is made for a European pattern receiver so the tang holes will not line up so you can install both stock screws through the tang.  Only one screw will be able to be installed.
Link Posted: 7/12/2010 2:00:09 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
The Chinese receiver is thicker and has a smaller inside diameter.  You will have to file the stock mounting block on that stock to fit into the receiver.  The stock is made for a European pattern receiver so the tang holes will not line up so you can install both stock screws through the tang.  Only one screw will be able to be installed.

do you have a reference picture for the tang holes? My receiver tang has one hole at the end, and then there is another hole just under the recoil spring. It looks to be a little more than an inch apart. How far apart are the mounting holes for the Romanian stock?

ETA: ill try to take a picture of my receiver tang.
Link Posted: 7/12/2010 2:05:39 PM EDT
[#33]
They will not both line up, just believe me.  I've done it, others have done it, there is another thread running here concerning the same thing.  How do you get both holes to line up?  You remove the rivets in the rear of the receiver and install a European pattern tang block into the receiver and rivet it in.  Will the holes line up in the receiver for the new tang block?  Who knows, I don't know if anyone has done it.
Link Posted: 7/12/2010 2:08:58 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
They will not both line up, just believe me.  I've done it, others have done it, there is another thread running here concerning the same thing.  How do you get both holes to line up?  You remove the rivets in the rear of the receiver and install a European pattern tang block into the receiver and rivet it in.  Will the holes line up in the receiver for the new tang block?  Who knows, I don't know if anyone has done it.

lol, thanks. would you have to drill the rivets out, or will they pop undone? I may look into having a different "tang" installed later down the road if I like the stock.
Link Posted: 7/12/2010 2:11:53 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
The Chinese receiver is thicker and has a smaller inside diameter.  You will have to file the stock mounting block on that stock to fit into the receiver. The stock is made for a European pattern receiver so the tang holes will not line up so you can install both stock screws through the tang.  Only one screw will be able to be installed.

Link Posted: 7/12/2010 5:03:56 PM EDT
[#36]
Yes, the Romy wire folder can be made to work on the Chinese AKs, with some judicious use of files and a bit of time.  I have mine fitted very tightly but, like MAK says, only the forward mounting screw holes will line up.  In fact it took a bit of work to get mine to seat far enough into the receiver for even the forward holes to line up.  The Chinese tangs are longer than the Euros so the tang hangs off the back of the folder's mounting block/hinge, and the screw hole spacing is farther apart as well.

You can see what I mean with the following pics:

But, like someone said earlier, if it is properly fitted one mounting screw is sufficiently strong.  The stock is steel after all, and mine is tight enough that it is difficult enough to remove with the screw removed.  I don't believe the screw attachment is really under any stress since the tight fit really takes all of it.

Still the same, when I have time, I'm planning to weld up the rear hole in the mounting block, add some metal to the rear, reshape it to match the tang contour, and then drill and tap a new hole in the appropriate location so I can add the second, rear screw.  I don't think it really needs it for strength, but I just think it will look more "finished".  I'm hoping to do the work next weekend, along with working on an idea I have for rectifying the wire folders horrid, non-existent cheek weld.

Once I get this and a couple other things done this rifle will be "finished"... for now.  Of course my plan does involve a bit of welding so the stock will get Gun Kote when everything is done to it.

Link Posted: 7/12/2010 6:26:47 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Yes, the Romy wire folder can be made to work on the Chinese AKs, with some judicious use of files and a bit of time.  I have mine fitted very tightly but, like MAK says, only the forward mounting screw holes will line up.  In fact it took a bit of work to get mine to seat far enough into the receiver for even the forward holes to line up.  The Chinese tangs are longer than the Euros so the tang hangs off the back of the folder's mounting block/hinge, and the screw hole spacing is farther apart as well.

You can see what I mean with the following pics:

http://i637.photobucket.com/albums/uu93/ThePosers/AKs/My%20NHM-90/IMG_0653.jpg

http://i637.photobucket.com/albums/uu93/ThePosers/AKs/My%20NHM-90/IMG_0652.jpg

http://i637.photobucket.com/albums/uu93/ThePosers/AKs/My%20NHM-90/IMG_0656.jpg

But, like someone said earlier, if it is properly fitted one mounting screw is sufficiently strong.  The stock is steel after all, and mine is tight enough that it is difficult enough to remove with the screw removed.  I don't believe the screw attachment is really under any stress since the tight fit really takes all of it.

Still the same, when I have time, I'm planning to weld up the rear hole in the mounting block, add some metal to the rear, reshape it to match the tang contour, and then drill and tap a new hole in the appropriate location so I can add the second, rear screw.  I don't think it really needs it for strength, but I just think it will look more "finished".  I'm hoping to do the work next weekend, along with working on an idea I have for rectifying the wire folders horrid, non-existent cheek weld.

Once I get this and a couple other things done this rifle will be "finished"... for now.  Of course my plan does involve a bit of welding so the stock will get Gun Kote when everything is done to it.

thank you, those pics were exactly what i was looking for. It seems like i have almost everything figured out for converting this Mak-90 into something more fun. All I need to do now is find a receiver cover that will work. Anyone know a list of country/cover types that will fit? i think a East German AKM cover might work, or maybe a bulgarian, but are there others?
Link Posted: 7/12/2010 7:28:50 PM EDT
[#38]
AFAIK, any cover will fit except for a Yugo.  Most should be a direct swap but may require some very minor fitting.  But, why replace the original Chinese cover?  The Chinese covers are thicker and generally stronger than most Euro covers, plus they are blued to match the rest of the rifle, unlike most Euro covers.
Link Posted: 7/12/2010 7:40:40 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
AFAIK, any cover will fit except for a Yugo.  Most should be a direct swap but may require some very minor fitting.  But, why replace the original Chinese cover?  The Chinese covers are thicker and generally stronger than most Euro covers, plus they are blued to match the rest of the rifle, unlike most Euro covers.

I think he said the cover on it was one of those modified scope rail covers and he wants one without the scope rail on it.

Quoted:

Link Posted: 7/12/2010 7:42:57 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Still the same, when I have time, I'm planning to weld up the rear hole in the mounting block, add some metal to the rear, reshape it to match the tang contour, and then drill and tap a new hole in the appropriate location so I can add the second, rear screw.  

That's how I figured it could be done but how would the tapping through a weld work?  I figured it would be too hard to drill out a weld and that it would break the tap.
Link Posted: 7/12/2010 7:45:37 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think he said the cover on it was one of those modified scope rail covers and he wants one without the scope rail on it.

Ahh, I missed that part.  Don't blame him for wanting to replace it, but i would just find a new Chinese cover, if it were me.  I've seen a couple for sale recently for about $20 shipped.
Link Posted: 7/12/2010 7:54:27 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Still the same, when I have time, I'm planning to weld up the rear hole in the mounting block, add some metal to the rear, reshape it to match the tang contour, and then drill and tap a new hole in the appropriate location so I can add the second, rear screw.  

That's how I figured it could be done but how would the tapping through a weld work?  I figured it would be too hard to drill out a weld and that it would break the tap.

Shouldn't be an issue.  Typically welds aren't all that hard as long as you preheat the substrate to prevent quenching and don't let them cool too fast, and I've never had a problem welding up holes and drilling/tapping before.  Just have to go slow, take your time and use plenty of oil when tapping any steel, especially with a small diameter tap.

Don't jinx me.  I had to knock on wood as I was typing, but I hope to get this phase of my little Romy project complete this weekend.  Actually I hope to get the stock mods all done except for the final finish.
Link Posted: 7/13/2010 5:05:56 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

I would like to keep the cover, but it has a rail on top. The rail sticks up higher than the iron sights of the rifle. I could always drill through the rivets holding it in place, but then I would have three big holes in the top of the cover.
Link Posted: 7/13/2010 5:26:46 AM EDT
[#44]
Sorry, I missed the part about the rail.  But I would still try to find a replacement Chinese top cover for the reasons I mentioned.  I've seen a couple of the for sale recently here in the EE and over on theakforum's classified section.

But of course if it doesn't matter to you, you can find standard Euro AK covers at several places.  Apex has them for several different models, like the Romy.
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 5:35:27 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Worked out just fine.  It was enough work that I probably wouldn't want to repeat it but in the end I'm happy with the results.

I got the extra metal added to the rear of the folder's mounting/hinge block, the existing hole welded up and the new one drilled and tapped without issue.  Well, the hole wasn't an issue but adding the metal ended up being more trouble than expected.  This was mainly because of the small area that you have to work with when trying to build up weld filler metal without undercutting the parent metal or getting metal where it doesn't need to be.  It took a few weld a bit and file sessions but I finally got it to a point that I'm happy with.

After getting the metal work finished:

And a couple of angles after applying some BC Superblue.  I plan to refinish the stock once all of the other mods are complete but since I already started on the other welding I had a good bit of raw bare metal and I wanted to see how it would look so I used the cold blue for a little temporary color.

Link Posted: 7/22/2010 12:42:33 PM EDT
[#46]
I put an ACE side folder on my Mac 90. Very solid stock.
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 1:41:11 PM EDT
[#47]
Yeah, the Ace is my "plan B" if the Romy plan doesn't work out.  I'm not sure if this rifle will remain in folder configuration forever so I was reluctant to cut the stock tang off and I don't care for the no-cut version of their mounting block.  The Romy is rock solid and if my cheek weld idea works to my satisfaction I'll be quite pleased with the combination, plus the rifle won't have been permanentlly altered.  If not... well, look out Ace, here I come.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top